It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

festivus HB User
Successful IUI with low count?

If you saw my other posts, you read that I had my 2nd IUI yesterday (TTC our 1st). Unexpectedly, DH's sperm count was low- 12 million before washing and only 4 million after. It is quite discouraging, as his count has never been low before. We started this whole process because my follicle size was borderline and DH had borderline low morphology. Now this! Anyone have any IUI success stories with such a low count? If so, how many good size follicles did you have? I had 2 good sized follicles this time with the help of Clomid. I thought that was good until I started reading that 3-4 is ideal for IUI. With all these different issues, should we continue trying with IUI (probably with the injectables) or go right to IVF? Over the summer, I will turn 36 and DH will turn 37, so we're not getting any younger! The good news is that my insurance is pretty good- covers everything for IUI- and DH's is even better- will cover IVF. When the time comes, I'll switch over to DH's insurance, so I don't have to base any of these decisions on the money part of it. Don't get me wrong- I am HOPING that I get my BFP this month. But, I'm also a planner, so I want to hope for the best while making a plan for what to do next month if things don't work out. Any input is appreciated, as my head is starting to spin! ~Jess

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
(female)

littlelisa403 HB User
Smile Re: Successful IUI with low count?

Hi there!

My story will hopefully bring you some hope.

My husband and I went for our first IUI treatment in June. I took clomid 100mg days 3-8. My husband was on Fertilaid which we bought on the internet. It brought his count from 3.5 million to 84 million! We struggled with morphology as well, the best was 10% the lowest 4%. The Fertilaid didn't help with that. My tests all proved to be normal. On the day of our IUI we had 5 million post wash. The nurse said that was on the low side but still good. Well, I took a pregnancy test today and it was positive!! So don't you worry, 4 million can still do the trick! I've heard of people with 250,000 sperm getting pregnant with IUI. I wish you the best of luck! I have read so many posts trying to find some hope but now I'm on the other end and I know you will be too! Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

festivus HB User
Re: Successful IUI with low count?

Unfortunately, I got a BFN yesterday (blood test, not HPT). But, after that, I did talk with the doc about how to proceed. He indicated that since there's been such variance in DH's count, it's more likely that the low count was a fluke than that the high count was the fluke. This cycle, I'm going to add in the injectable hormones and hope that makes a difference. Luckily, I have good insurance coverage for all this, so I feel like I can keep trying without having to worry about the money part of it too much (although even the copays take a toll on my wallet!). Congrats on your BFP! Hope you have a very healthy pregnancy.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
(female)

MNMom81 HB User

I was reading your story and can partially understand your situation... But don't give up hope.

My husband was told, when he was married to his first wife, that due to his count and morphology, the likely hood of him impregnanting anyone was extremely small.

Well, some how by the grace of God, I ended up pregnant twice. I also have had issues with endometriosis, so my reproductive organs had some issues too. My best suggestion is to try and relax. I know that is really hard to do. I've been there too many months. But, honestly, both times we conceived it was when we were just letting nature take it course. I quit counting, checking, and documenting all together and it just happened.

I wish the best to you and your hubby. Anything is possible

Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
(female)

littlelisa403 HB User
Smile Re: Successful IUI with low count?

I agree with trying to relax, and I agree it seems near impossible to do. Last november when my DH's sperm count was only around 5 million and his morphology was still under 10% we had signed up for the IVF program because we were told that was the only way we were going to get pregnant. Since I had an answer and some hope i relaxed and BAM!! We got pregnant that month naturally. I did miscarry the next month unfortunately. Don't give up hope! If you want to increase his count I recommend the Fertilaid for men vitamins. They made a world of difference for us!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
(female)

SlyFoxy HB User

festivus checking to see how you are doing. Hope your hanging in tight. We tried ttc naturally but it failed AF showed her ugly face July 5th so going to call my RE the 6th to see when come in for another Ultrasound to start my meds again. I'm in someway looking forward to this cycle. I hope and prayer that my ultrasound turns out good so can ahead. Hopeing when comes time to do 2nd IUI hope my DH count has came up more.

Will be thinking of you an checking in time an time to see how your holding out. Hope you don't give up yet, Hang in there I need a buddy to chat with once a while.

Before I go here is what my DH count was before washing an then after.DH's sperm count was low 10 million before washing and only 3 million after. There is why I'm hopeing his count be up more when do 2nd IUI. Need more.. LOL.

littlelisa403 how long did your DH take the Fertilaid for how many months before his count went up like that?

Right now my Dh is taking all types of vitmens which is slowly bringing up his count, morphology and movement. At first it was only 3 million now it is up to 10 million that before wash of course. Our RE said he had people get a BFP with only 1 million.

Here me an my DH is trying to relax but it is hard to since our DD is getting older an we are too.

Good Luck everyone...

Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
(female)

festivus HB User

SlyFoxy-
Sorry to hear AF showed up. Did you still do something to celebrate your anniversary? I'm actually doing ok, as my hopes weren't really up this month. After we got the news about the count, I wasn't expecting much. I go to the doc tomorrow (7/7) for the bloodwork and ultrasound, so it sounds like we'll be on similar cycles (AF started 7/5). At this point, I'm most worried about how the injectables will affect me- I hope they don't make me completely crazy! I'm off work for the summer (other than a few days here and there), so my stress level should be relatively low. I'll try the injectables with IUI #3 this month and then probably take next month off if it doesn't work. Hope things go well for you at the doc and you're able to move ahead with your IUI this month.

All- Thanks again for all the encouraging word! Baby dust to all!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 AM   #8
(female)

SlyFoxy HB User

festivus On our anniversary we really didn't do much since getting ready for our 2nd IUI. When we go to get ready for 2nd IUI DH is going to take me out to a mexican place the day before IUI so maybe that help me relax more. I called my RE an they set my appointment up for July 8 to have my ultrasound/bloodwork. I'm just praying that when have that done that we get the go ahead to start meds. If don't work this time we will take another month off to save up money.

festivus I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you about your ultrasound/bloodwork. I believe the injectables will help you an will not drive you nuts. If can try to to have a pma during this cycle an it will happen this time. Me I'm going to try to have a pma this time. I know it will be hard but need to try an relax. My friend said for me to relax an stay postive. If I didn't she was going to kick my butt next time she see's me.

Good Luck and tons of baby dust to you.. Will be checking back in to see how things went. Keeping fingers cross for you hun.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
(female)

festivus HB User

SlyFoxy-
Not to be dumb, but what's pma? Anyway, went to the doc and got the go ahead to start the injectables. Now I get to stab myself FOUR times a day (2x Lovenox, 1x Lupron, 1x Gonal-F). It's amazing what you get used to doing when you don't have a choice . Feeling relaxed now that my summer has started, and my blood pressure was even down (never too high, but now even better!) when they took it this morning. Let me know how things go with you at the doc. I'm crossing my fingers that this is your month. Baby dust to you!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
(female)

littlelisa403 HB User

SlyFoxy,

He started on the Fertilaid in September 2008, we naturally got pregnant the next month (Ialso RELAXED about getting pregnant) and his last count which was 84 million was in Februrary. So I guess around 5 months. His second SA in November showed 10 million from 4 million. This could either be from the Fertilaid or natural variability. Then it went to 84 million. I'm pretty sure that was the Fertilaid! We have friends who had some of the same numbers and issues and went on Fertilaid and he count went all the way to 120 million!! I think they were on it a little longer. They got pregnant with their 2nd IUI. My DH also made some healthy lifestyle changes too, although he was pretty healthy to begin with. I highly recommend it!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
(female)

SlyFoxy HB User
Cool Re: Successful IUI with low count?

Got great news today We get to start our 2nd IUI very soon. I start taking 100 mg Clomid tomorrow 5-9 and then go back next Thursday the July 16th to see how things look if looks good will have my trigger shot. I'm praying we get to do the IUI the next day., The doctor put me on a chewable multivitamin that children take since having problems with prenatal vitamins he also put me on more Folic Acid .

I asked him why didn't it work the first time an he said this. He said everything was prefect on my end but my DH sperm count that is low just didn't get it this last time but the way he talked he thinks this time will go. He took me from 50mg Clomid to 100mg to see if I will produce more follices. He said it does take just one follice to get a BFP but he wants to see if can get my ovaires to produce more. I'm keeping my that it works. We've had a very long day but when went to see RE today I was very relaxed an Happy.

festivus PMA stands for Positive Mental Attitude. Don't every say that word DUMB.. If don't ask will not know.

Good Luck on your IUI.. Tons of Baby Dust to You...

I'm so excited this time for some odd reason..

Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
(female)

festivus HB User

SlyFoxy,
Glad you got good news and can move forward with IUI #2 this month and are feeling positive about things this month. That certainly doesn't hurt your chances!!! Don't be surprised if when you go back on the 16th they decide to have you come back a couple days later instead of doing the IUI the next day. Sometimes the follicles just need a little more time to mature. I am also feelng strangely positive about this month. So far, no serious side effects from the injectables, so I'm VERY thankful for that! Since the injectables typically produce more follicles than Clomid, DH has taken to joking about quads and quints. EEEeeekkkkkk! Keeping you in my thoughts and sending tons of baby dust your way!

Closed Thread