HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Infertility (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infertility/)
-   -   How do I know if I'm infertile? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/infertility/711106-how-do-i-know-if-im-infertile.html)

lovekush 09-05-2009 02:11 AM

How do I know if I'm infertile?

About five years ago, I had a boyfriend who wasn't faithful and gave me chlamydia. We both went in together and got treated for it. We broke up but two weeks later hooked up again, using a condom. The condom ended up breaking and I discovered that I had the disease again. I stopped messing around with that guy and got treated once more. I even did a follow up and my results came back negative. Then a year later, the same thing happened but with a different partner. I had a condom break with another guy and when I got my annual pap test, they did an std screening and I was positive once more with chlamydia. I then decided to remain abstinence for a long time and got treated for the third time and retested again with a negative result.

Now a year after that, I started getting severe stomach pains. I was negative on my last std test before that and did not have sexual intercourse for an entire year or even any sexual play. My stomach pains were getting so bad that I went to Urgent Care and found out that I had Pelvic Inflammatory Disease AND Chlamydia once more. I don't know how I got the std one more time since I was negative last test and did not have any sexual interaction at all. But I ended up getting PID because I had chlamydia for so long and it was left untreated.

After getting cleaned up. I met a wonderful guy and 3 years later (today), I'm still with him. I haven't gotten any std's since I took care of my PID. All my tests have been negative and I haven't had any problems since then. Now, my boyfriend and I aren't exactly trying to conceive a child at this time. I've been on birth control for the past 3 years but have been having complications taking the pills. Being on BC really upsets my stomach and there has been many times when I have puked after taking the pill and many times when I'd voluntarily not take my pill because I didn't want to get sick. I only did it occasionally at first but after realizing that I'm not getting pregnant, I would do it more often. I'd skip 3 days in a row then consume 3 pills on one day which I'll admit was very DUMB. Even puking after swallowing the pills (its not just birth control, its almost every pill I put in my body, I puke up) I never used a back up method of birth control like I'm supposed to. So I know I'm not fully protected. But I really think I might be infertile (since getting chlamydia and PId's can lead to infertility). In the past 3 years I've been careless about taking my birth control pills and I just never got pregnant from it.

I've tried other methods of BC but none of them work for me. I've tried the shot but I had horrible side-effects from that and my gyno advised me to not take it anymore. I've also tried the ring but my boyfriend has something against it. He says its painful for him and it always slips out even when placed in properly. Sometimes I won't know that it slipped out until hours later. There is the patch but that is no longer available in my area. I was thinking about IUD but I don't know much about that yet and its quite expensive. We've been using condoms but condoms give me painful intercourse (I'm not allergic to latex either). With condoms, my desire to have sex isn't there anymore but we have been using them lately.

But I do think I could be infertile and would like to know for sure so I could forget about everything in the above paragraph. I've tried asking my gyno at Planned Parenthood if she could find out if I'm infertile (she knows all about my history) but she says if I'm not planning on having kids now, I shouldn't bother finding out. I really want to know but she won't give me answers. I've had three different gynos who just ignore my requests.

So if anyone knows, how can I find out if I'm infertile? Are there any symptoms? What procedures need to be done to find this out? I only have insurance for Planned Parenthood and can't go to a real doctor right now. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.