It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

Hanks782 HB User
Question No Egg Production.

My sister just finished her first round of Chlomid and found out she is not producing eggs. She was told by her doctor he wants her to go back on the 4th of December to check her levels again to see if they have changed. She has been unable to get pregnant for 13 years since she and her husband got pregnant. They have one daughter whom they adopted, but they would like to have one child that is biologically thiers.
My question is, Can something be given to her to cause her to produce eggs? Would weightloss help? (She gained a large amount of weight in the last 7 years) If it is a hormone problem is there a drug they can give her to level it off and cause the eggs to be produced?
Any insight would greatly help.

Thank You,
Amanda

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
(female)

festivus HB User
Re: No Egg Production.

Women are born with all the eggs they'll ever have and don't really produce any new ones. When you say your sister is not producing eggs, do you mean she is not ovulating (i.e., that she is not releasing any eggs) or that she does not have any eggs? If she is not ovulating, there are medications that can help. If she has eggs but even the medications don't help her ovulate, they may still be able to do an egg retrieval and do IVF. Weight loss may also help, although I have found that this is a subject many people dealing with infertility (or even the doctors) sometimes want to avoid discussing. If she was already on Clomid, have they done some testing? I would make sure she gets a full work up before moving on to other medications or treatments. Your sister is lucky to have you in her corner! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

lukafoo74 HB User

The other thing I would say is she could do IVF with donor eggs. She could use her husband's sperm and she would carry the baby.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
(female)

andvari HB User

Nobody wants to talk about weight however it is well documented that weight can cause fertility problems. If your sister is overweight, her doc should be suggesting a healthier diet and ways to reduce weight. Not to be rude and sorry if it comes off that way but I've known quite a few women who didn't ovulate after gaining weight. Once they started losing (and it wasn't a huge amount but overall they led a healthier lifestyle) they began to ovulate on their own and their cycles were becoming more and more regular. Actually a girl I know who was in that boat is due in December and another just gave birth.

Proper diet, excercise and prenatal vitamins are all essential to pregnancy. She doesn't need to run marathons, just moderate stuff.

There's so much that can affect ovulation. She needs a very thorough workup. Hsg, blood work, internal/external ultrasounds.

I'm sure all of this is being looked into by her doctor.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

NinaPea HB User

Does your sister have PCOS? That is what it sounds like to me if she has had trouble getting pregnant for so long now. Though weight can often lead to women not ovulating, it is also well documented that PCOS, which is a hormone imbalance that can lead to anovulation, that women can gain weight rapidly and have a hard time taking the weight off. My sister suffers from PCOS and has not been able to get pregnant and just keeps getting bigger and bigger. She went through rounds of hormones for three years while she was married and never was able to start producing eggs.

I would imagine that she has at least been tested for PCOS if she has been seeking professional help, these just definitely sound like the symptoms my sister has experienced. I know that a very fresh diet helps women with PCOS a lot; fresh meats, veggies, and cheeses (only go around the outside circle of a grocery store).

I hope she finds out the issue, if she has not already, and I wish you all the best of luck!

Closed Thread