It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
(male)

MrPretzel HB User
What is it like to donate a semen sample?

Before the jokes start, I know what it's like...

I need to know what the experience is like in the clinic? Is it typically just a doctors office or a bathroom? Do they have magazines or videos? Do you bring your own?

I have a few days before my first sample for an IVF cycle and I want to hear a few stories before walking in there blindly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
(female)

Ms Moose HB User
Re: What is it like to donate a semen sample?

Though I am female, I am offering this response as a former medical technologist, who worked in a fertility clinic for a while. Here is what our office procedure was like: When a patient came in for a semen analysis, we would give him a small glass jar. We kept some videos and magazines in the room where the patient was collecting the sample, and sometimes men brought in their own favorite "help". Once in a great while, the patient's wife came in with him, and they went through their own time-tested, reliable process. At any rate, the patient was offered total privacy behind a closed (and lockable) door, was not disturbed, and was instructed that they should just leave the jar in the room, and let the staff know they were leaving when done. There was music playing in the area, to mask any sounds that might escape. We did everything possible to make it more comfortable for the patient. And honestly, it was so routine that we never ever thought anything about it. Our goal was always to make the man as comfortable as possible, because we realized how difficult the process was for most of them. Please don't worry, and know that in such a clinic, the people are really professionals, and are so used to this--all we wanted was to offer a safe place for couples to have a child. Good luck !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread