It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
(female)

becca223 HB User
how do i know if i'm infertile

I've been sexually active since I was 14yrs old and I'm 25 now. When I was 19 I got this smelly discharge that lasted for a long time but did not get it checked. It went away for a few years. Now I've gotten it back and have had this really smelly vaginal discharge for about two years. I've had three annual exams and been tested for STI's three times and have tested negative for everything. However during my last visit my N.P. said that I have bacterial vaginitis and prescribed me an antibiotic.
I am worried now that I might be infertile. This stinky discharge has been there for a while. Is it possible that I had bacterial vaginitis for so long and went undetected??? If it did go for so long untreated then is it very likely that I am infertile now? How can I get checked to see if my fallopian tubes and ovaries might be damaged?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
(female)

PosThoughts HB UserPosThoughts HB User
Re: how do i know if i'm infertile

Hi,

I would talk to your Dr. There are many tests that they can run. That said, I think you should first ask if there is a connection between your infection and infertility.

Good luck,

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Normally they don't test you unless you have been trying to conceive for a year and are not successful. But I would certainly talk with your gyno about the infection and any possibilities because of it.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

becca223 HB User

Sarah,
Gohnorrea, Clymidia, and three different types of bacterial vaginitis can lead to infertility if the infection moves from the vagina into the cervix. It can also cause ectopic pregnancies (when an egg is fertilized and plants itself into the fallopian tube rather than uterus.
It is common that bacterial infections go unnoticed by professionals unless directly tested for. I was finally tested last time I went in and that is what they said I have. I just worry because I've had this embarrassing smell of so long. What if it went so long that the infection moved up into there???
I feel like a hypochondriac as it is, lol! I could go back to the doc and see if they can test me to see if I am fertile or not... I hope I am.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

I would wait to test until there is no smell or discharge. If a patency test is done and there is fluid with infective material that goes into the abdominal cavity or into your tubes, in theory at least, it could increase problems. If after trying to have a baby you don't have one, then you could see about getting tested. During a laparoscopy one person had a methylene blue patency test. The gynecologist told this person the tubes were open and patent. The periods were worse afterward and she wasn't sure whether to blame the endometriosis she had, the candida she had, the heavy anesthesia meds, the methylene blue or all four.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
(female)

becca223 HB User

Thanks SJB. I'm not trying to conceive... I've just had unprotected sex so many times with many sex partners, it's a wonder I've never gotten pregnant or gotten an STI. I have mixed feelings (personally- for myself) about having a baby. It would be damaging to have one now. But I also question it because of everything about my life and this world. Will I be stable enough emotionally and financially? Will I be able to give my child a good social network and family and support? What kind of world will my child grow up in with our capitalist government, global warming, wars, etc. etc. etc.??? Plus there is the fact about my genes- why would I want to pass on hearing impairment, scoliosis, diabetes, heart problems, bi polar, etc.? There are enough children in this world that don't have homes, families, food, shelter, security, love, etc. I could adopt (though I have mixed feelings about that as well) or be a foster mother. Then again I know that there isn't the same bond as with a biological child. I've gotten out of the promiscuos polygamous relationships and sex. I am ready to settle down and have a steady partner. What if my partner wants biological children and I am not able to have children? I think I'm unmarriagable as it is. Being infertile would just slime my chances even more.
I will wait until the infection is gone, but I want to ahead of time whether I can conceive or not. I want to be honest about myself with my partner and know what to expect myself and I want them to know what to expect as well. It is only fair to myself and them.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca223 View Post
Thanks SJB. You are welcome! :smile:

I'm not trying to conceive... I've just had unprotected sex so many times with many sex partners,

Healthwise this is a very dangerous habit. A person could catch HIV and give it to many others and give it to many other people causing their eventual illness and subsequent death. A person could also catch diseases such as herpes or other things such as infections like PID gonnorhea to name a few, that can cause sexual and perhaps menstrual misery the rest of a persons life. Sticking to one partner is also a better idea. If a person decides to have intercourse some type of protection such as a female or male condom is said to be a good idea. Some male condoms have been known to break particularly if they are incorrectly applied.

It's a wonder I've never gotten pregnant or gotten an STI. I have mixed feelings (personally- for myself) about having a baby. It would be damaging to have one now. But I also question it because of everything about my life and this world.

Yes you are right this world and society today should not have more now. It is very hard today to raise a baby correctly. Will I be stable enough emotionally and financially?

If you are questioning it......then perhaps you are right. I know I don't have enough money to raise a child at this time but because society is full of many terrible problems I dont want to bring another one into the world.

Will I be able to give my child a good social network and family and support? What kind of world will my child grow up in with our capitalist government, global warming, wars, etc. etc. etc.??? Plus there is the fact about my genes- why would I want to pass on hearing impairment, scoliosis, diabetes, heart problems, bi polar, etc.?

I suspect people with these problems do suffer. You are right.

There are enough children in this world that don't have homes, families, food, shelter, security, love, etc. I could adopt (though I have mixed feelings about that as well) or be a foster mother.

If a person has mixed feelings about it then a good suggestion might be to wait since once the baby is there a person cannot really go back on the decision as easily. If there are difficulties a baby can and maybe should be given away to someone who can give it a happy life, but maybe it is better not to get one in the first place because of the feelings of both mom and child upon separation in the first place.

Then again I know that there isn't the same bond as with a biological child.

If a person feels this way then maybe not one at all, considering the diseases it would inherit and an improper bond between a mother and an adopted child.

I've gotten out of the promiscuos polygamous relationships and sex.

Good this is a good decision I hope you stick with it!

I am ready to settle down and have a steady partner. What if my partner wants biological children and I am not able to have children?

I think I'm unmarriagable as it is.

Maybe a social life without getting married is a good option for you. You might also enjoy some reading and educating yourself or find a good hobby to enjoy.

Being infertile would just slime my chances even more.
I will wait until the infection is gone, but I want to ahead of time whether I can conceive or not. I want to be honest about myself with my partner and know what to expect myself and I want them to know what to expect as well. It is only fair to myself and them.

I wish you the best!

Last edited by sjb; 10-14-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
(female)

kriss79 HB User

Becca, I hope you're not infertile, but I really have to speak out here.

You seem VERY naive for a 25 year old woman. Your first post on the second page is even more so.

Just live life, read, learn, and be more careful with yourself, then worry about your fertility. You sound like you have a lot to learn about life, sex, and even the world as a whole. The fact that you've gotten out of the "free love" stage is a great first step, however, and I wish you luck.

I don't mean this in an insulting way, I just see a lot of bad things happen since I'm a high school teacher, and see a lot of kids that start out how you did and end up in bad shape. In fact, one my best friends from school ended up with HIV...so I've seen a lot of it.

Last edited by kriss79; 01-04-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: I'm a horrible typist.

Closed Thread