It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2002, 05:59 PM   #1

Aerosmith22 HB User
UPDATE -- fetal heartbeat heard but negative urine (pregnancy) test

My fiance came back from the doctor with strange news....

They started with a urine test.... came back 20 minutes later and said all was normal... Then they started questioning and doing paper work, nurse stepped in and said it was negative...amanda got upset, and talked about all her symptoms... They then decided to listen for a heartbeat and they found a heartbeat..seemed normal enough..but urine test was negative all the way...she is 9 1/2 weeks pregnant..is it possible hcg levels would of tappered off antrually by now? ...is there a condition that will show hcg in the blood easily but has a hard tiem to detect it in urine? her hpt's have been getting fainter and fainter but her symptoms of pregnancy keep progressing and now they confirmed it with a heartbeat... she got this test late in the afternoon..... they are taking blood to see what the results are in a blood test but we wont know until next week....

Were scared senseless, here is this little fetus, arms legs, fingers, toes, eyelids, nose, digestive track, heartbeat, blood flowing...and we dont want to loost him/her...anyone have any opinions..has this happened to anyone?? thanks for your time..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2002, 06:06 PM   #2

odiej HB User
Re: UPDATE -- fetal heartbeat heard but negative urine (pregnancy) test

Hi Aerosmith,
Tell your fiance not to be too worried. It is not common but some people are like that with urine tests. My mom was 6 months pregnant with me when she finally had a positive urine test. If they found a heartbeat everything is fine. If she is still really upset ask your dr for another blood test. But I am sure she is fine Tell her to relax and think good thoughts about the baby she is going to hold in her arms in a couple of months. Has your fiance had a ultra sound if not she should go in for one just to know for sure.
Think good thoughts and keep me posted..

------------------
Jodi
age 23 dh 29
ttc# 1 x 4yrs
1500mg metformin
200mg clomid 2 ov cycles and 2 failed cycles
prenatal vitamins
moving on to other meds very soon
looking into acupuncture
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 05-03-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2002, 10:07 PM   #3

kowlab20 HB User

Good luck, and I am sure everything is okay. Also thanks for the support. It's nice to see some men supporting others in this. I know that some people are like this with urine tests, my mom was that's why I had the blood test.

Old 01-17-2002, 02:12 AM   #4

shira HB User

i'm sorry, but i don't have a clue. if you're really worried, try getting a second opinion from another doc, but i think you should keep thinking positive.
your baby is special right from the beginning!

Old 01-17-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
Inactive

28Girl HB User

I just wanted to let you know that I am one of those women who Urine Preg tests don't work too well on.. I had posted on here a long time ago, so I thought I would share my story with you.. I had all of the "symptoms" of pregnancy so I bought a test..My period was about 3 days late I think.. It was Neg..
So, I assumed I wasn't preg. because I had a brown/deep red discharge an figured it must be my period.. After a few days I still felt sick to my stomach and still had myself convinced I was preg.. So I bought more tests (different brands) and all were neg! I had a Dr appointment for a post-op check-up (I had an ectopic preg) and mentioned to my Dr that I had taken several preg tests and all were neg, but "I felt" preg.. He laughed and said well it would be too soon after your surgery to become preg, but I will order blood work.. Well I didn't even make it in the door at home and the phone was ringing.. Yep, you guessed it I WAS preg. I had to go back the next day to make sure it wasn't another ectopic and had an ultrasound done and there (he) was.. Fine and Healthy.. I was so frustrated that the Urine tests didn't work for me and asked my doctor why?? He just said "you are not the only one they haven't worked for" and that was that.. I guess it is true what people say.. That it is easier to get a false - than a false + Anyway, I had an extra test at home and somewhere about my 4-5 month(obviously preg) I decided to use it just to see.. Well it came back neg too!! Go figure!!?? LOL So, there are some of us that the tests don't work as well for..Maybe your wife is one of them too.. I am convinced now the best way to be 100% is a blood test! I wish you and your wife the best!
P.S. I had another boy about 2 years later and I took a Generic HPT a week before I was due for my period and it was bright pink +!! That really CONFUSED me!?!?

Closed Thread