It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2001, 07:06 AM   #1

NIE HB User
When You Get Pregnant

Ladies,
This message is to warn you of my experience in an effort to prevent you from going through the same distress that I experienced.

In 1995 I conceived a daughter through IVF. The transplantation date was July 1. We could determine by the transplantation date when the baby would be due.

My OB/GYN did not induce labor when I was 40 weeks, he let me go over four more days.

The fourth day, I woke up and noticed I did not feel the baby moving. My husband asked if I wanted to go to the hospital and I said Yes.

I will make a long story short by saying that if it were not for my mother's intuition, my baby would not have survived.

The doctor did an Emergency C-Section and the neo-natal intensive care unit was standing by. They swooped the baby away immediately and started life saving messures.

Initially, we were told that the baby would have all kinds of physical and mental problems due to the fetal distress she was in. That turned out to be false and we have a healthy five year old daughter.

It was the most gut renching thing I have ever been through and I want all of you to keep that in mind when you DO get pregnant. Do not let yourself go over the 40 week marker. The plasenta begins to die after 40 weeks and does not nourish the baby and that is was caused fetal distress.

Good Luck To You All!

Sarah

Old 02-21-2001, 08:33 AM   #2

lesliep HB User
Re: When You Get Pregnant

Hi Sara, I'm only responding because I had a simular situation, only my son did not live. During the later part of my pregnancy, I started having alot of pain in my lower left side and I could tell it was not normal. I went to my doctor several times to explain to him I was scared something was wrong, the last time I went to him, I was even crying..once again he told me I was a paranoid first time mother. 10 day's after my placenta separated and my son suffacated (spelling ?) my placenta tore completly away taking away his air. I went through 22 hours of hard labor just to see my son dead. That was Jan 15 1992, I named him Devan Lee, it broke my heart and I have never recoverd. He was beautiful, looking just like my husband. The only way I get to talk to him is by going and sitting at his grave. I have had 9 miscarries since then and now nobody knows what's wrong with me. I'm off work today and very depressed as you can probably tell. I'm ok just having a bad day. Wanted to share my story, I guess. It is very important to make your doctors listen to you, if they don't find a new one! I'm happy for you, truely, no-one should have to go through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2001, 03:45 PM   #3

Hamsmacker HB User

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss and I can relate in a way. No, I haven't gone to term, but we've been thru 2 miscarriages in less than a year. I can totally understand some of the feelings that you may have. I will try to never say that I understand how *you* feel, because I don't; only you know how you feel. I guess that became one of my pet peeves that people would say they could understand my pain, when really *I* didn't understand my pain sometimes.

Having said that, shortly after we lost our son, Dylan, I went to another OB to get a second opinion. As strange as this might sound, I ended up at a rhumatologist to see if I had Lupus, Sceladerma or any other auto immune disease that would cause my body to see the baby as threat to my immune system.
This second OB specializes in high risk pregnancies so I went in for the tests. Long story short...have your doctor test to see if indeed you do have some type of auto immune disease. I was told that if I did have Lupus, there was meds that I could take that could help me to carry to full term. I wish I could remember the names of the tests, but basically I had 13 vials of blood. Was it worth it? Yes. I now have some answers that maybe I wouldn't have had, let alone known that it could have been a reason for losing two babies. I sincerly wish you peace.

Old 02-22-2001, 05:09 PM   #4
Inactive

whitewolf95 HB User

Hey Hamsmacker!!
Now yes she is right try to find a doctor that will run tests that seem like they make no sense. I know that sounds strange but it is true. I went through three infertility doctors before I found one that made me feel at ease. I can also see about Hamsmackers saying it can **** you off about people saying they understand your pain. I have opened my big mouth a time or two and said those very same words.
I think we all know that others try to understand and granted only you know truly how you feel. They are nice words and sometimes comforting because you know others are going through the same things. I guess I will have to mend my ways and take my foot out of my mouth.

Old 02-22-2001, 05:42 PM   #5

lesliep HB User

hamsmacker- thank you for your reply. I have had the auto-immune tests ran, atleast several. They did say that I had a blood disorder, a form a lupus, anticardio lipid/lipin ??? Does that sound familiar to you? It's something like that. I've been treated with 2 shots of heparin in the stomach a day and aspirin...still no luck. Right now having some testing done on tissues from my miscarries and surgeries. Never had this kind of testing before..maybe we'll have some luck. I'm very sorry for your losses as well. Where are you at with all this right now? Please let me know! Take care and thank you. Leslie

Old 02-23-2001, 03:21 PM   #6

Hamsmacker HB User

Leslie,

Yes the anticardio-lipins sound very familar. For the life of me, I can't remember the other tests I had done, I will do some searching and see what I can dig up in my past records.

As for where I am at... I think that since I've found this sounding board, I've found a peace that I haven't known for some time. In April we'll be marking the one year date since we lost Dylan. Ask me in April how I'm doing, because any thing is subject to change. But thank you for asking.

Closed Thread