It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2001, 01:49 PM   #1

clkirk HB User
Fertility monitor and timing

I have 1 son who is almost five. It took us almost two years to concive him and now we have been tying fot our second child for 2 years. When trying to concieve the first time my doctor had me do the tempature charts and told me to have sex everyother day for four days until ovulation. He said that the sperm had to there waiting on the egg to be released.

Just the other day I went to a new doctor, hadn't had a check up for three years and old dr. retired. He told me that our timing was all wrong. That there is no use having sex befor ovulation. The sperm will just die before they are needed. That we should start having sex once the OPK (ovulation predictor kit) shows a positive result. He said to give it another 6 months and than come back and see him.

A guess now I am confused. When is the optimal time to conceive? I have been using the OPK for about 6 months. I do have regular cycles, usally 28 days, and I ovalate between days 14 and 16.

Also, is there any advantage to using a fertility monitor instead of the opk's

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2001, 05:15 PM   #2

alazay HB User
Re: Fertility monitor and timing

I have used the fertility monitor. It tells you when the lh surge is detected, and it lets you know when you are about to release egg. It tells you to have sex when it detects a high fertility status, and when it lets you know you are about to release egg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2001, 05:23 PM   #3

clkirk HB User

Where do you get a fertility monitor and how do you use it?

Old 02-21-2001, 10:49 PM   #4

alazay HB User

I got mine at Eckerds. They have them at wallgreens, and I am sure they have them others places, but I am not sure where. It's $200. You start using it the first day of your menstrual cycle. Then around day 6, it will ask you to take a test. It comes with these fertility monitor sticks. You urinate on it when you wake up in the morning, then you insert it in the monitor. In about 5 minutes, it will show your fertility status for the day. Once you have reached your peak fertility, which is when you are about to release an egg, it will stop asking you to perform test until the next cycle. Until then it keeps track of your periods. It's pretty neat. I think that it's worth the money.

Closed Thread