It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

TTCrunner HB User
Progesterone to ovulate?

I do not have periods and recent hormone tests show I have low progesterone (0.5) levels. All other hormone levels are good and ovaries look good. My doctor gave me 200 mg of natural progesterone pills that my doctor compounded for me to take once a day. She said to take them for three weeks and then go off for one week and to continue this for at least 3 months. Will this process cause me to ovulate since it will be regulating my progesterone? My doctor said I definitely be using some form of birth control but everything I read says that progesterone supplements will stop ovulation. I should also add that I would like to get pregnant soon :-) Thanks for any replies!

The following user gives a hug of support to TTCrunner:
Tryingtoohard (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
(female)

Tryingtoohard HB User
Re: Progesterone to ovulate?

Your name says TTCrunner and you say you have no periods, so I am wondering if you are perhaps underweight? I am overweight, with the same progesterone level as you. However, I also have PCOS. My doc has prescribed Clomid, and it is the only thing so far that has raised my progesterone levels at all...(100mg brought it up from a .5 to a 3 )....Sometimes I have to take Provera to bring on menstrual bleeding. I am sure you know that progesterone level needs to be at least a 10 to ovulate and achieve pregnancy. Here's hoping we both get there! However, I don't know much about the progesterone your doc has prescribed you. Is he/she an RE? Mine is an ob/gyn, but his area of interest is infertility.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tryingtoohard:
TTCrunner (05-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

TTCrunner HB User

I have been underweight in the past, but I have been at a healthy weight for about the past 9 months according to my doctor :-) I have heard that running can lower your progesterone (I run about 30-40mpw) so that could be what's contributing to it.

Anyways, I'm mainly wondering if the natural progesterone supplements would stop ovulation or would cause it; currently I take 200mg at night. Everything I have read states that if you're trying to conceive you should only take progesterone after you ovulate, but maybe that's just for women who's progesterone is already normal?

The doctor I go to is an OB/GYN who specializes in natural hormones. I didn't go to them specifically for my infertility, my main goal in going was to determine the source of my amenorrhea and to balance out my hormones, hoping that ovulation would result from this.

What exactly does Clomid do? I have heard of it but am not sure that would be something that I would need since all of my other hormones (Estrogen, LH, FSH, Prolactin, Estradiol) were all within normal levels. Also, is progesterone needed to bring on ovulation? It's my understanding that progesterone is produced after ovulation occurs...

Old 05-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

mamimami HB User

Lady
You seem an expert on the progesterone level. Do you think you can help me with my question regarding the progesterone test?
My doctor asked me to take a progesterone test 8 days after ovulating (Iím taking the OPK test. The 8th day is a Sunday. Do I take it on Saturday or the next Monday?
My doctor is so unresponsive (Iím waiting 2 weeks for the nurse to call me with the results) so Iíll do this test and change doctors
Thanks for your help!
A-

Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User

Hi TTCrunner
On your question whether progesterone makes you ovulate, the answer would be no. What progesterone does is thickens your uterine lining that later is shed in the form of menstruation. It is ovulation that makes your progesterone go up to sustain possible pregnancy.
Progesterone can drop whenever your weight fluctuates. Weight loss or weight gain can interfere with normal levels of progesterone. Some people have PCOS and don't ovulate regularly if at all, and therefore, they may have low progesterone. But it's not always PCOS that will cause this.

From my experience: after a big weight loss ( I was working out and eat less), my progesterone dropped and was at 0, which basically means I stopped ovulating altogether. Slowly, the weight came back and so I started ovulating. My periods are still irregular, but at least I get them. Like another poster said, there is a drug called Clomid (clomipohene) that will make you release an egg.
When I didn't have periods for 3 months, my doc gave me Provera for 10 days (which is progesterone), and I got my period. That jump-started my cycles.
I also want to add that there are many reasons why one may stop ovulating, such as stress, thyroid problems, poor nutrition, meds, etc

Last edited by Ksusha77; 06-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Closed Thread