It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

ras7954 HB User
Unhappy No periods (but all tests are negative)

Hello Everyone,

I am 27 and hoping to start a family sometime soon. The problem is I average only about 1 to 2 periods per year. I have seen no less than 10 doctors and been tested for (what seems like) everything under the sun to no avail. I am hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience and can help me. A bit of history...

I got my first period at the age of 12. They were somewhat regular but I would miss a month every now and then throughout high school - I think because I was super active (playing on multiple sports teams). I started taking birth control at the age of 17 and stopped when I was 25. I didn't get my period for 14 months after stopping the pill even after taking progesterone pills in attempt to jump start a cycle. My doctor finally prescribed Metformin, assuming it was mild PCOS (I have very few symptoms), and I did get a period a few months after taking it.

Since then I have only gotten a handful of periods, but they have all been super light and short (2-3 days). As I mentioned, I have been tested for EVERYTHING: my weight is normal (5' 5", 125 lbs), all my hormone levels are within the normal limits for a women my age who is not ovulating, I do not (in fact) have PCOS (verified via ultrasound and lack of symptoms), my pituitary gland looks good (had an MRI), my thyroid levels are perfect, all of my vitamin/mineral levels are normal, and I tested negative for diabetes. I have even had a colonoscopy and endoscopy due to some reoccurring IBS symptoms, and even those both came back normal.

I am at a complete loss as to what could be causing my an anovulation. I am very active (I run or bike 5 times a week for an hour), and I do have some anxiety, but have recently cut back on the exercise and made some stress-reducing lifestyle changes. I have even tried anti-anxiety medication. I have a few other minor miscellaneous ailments (chronic insomnia, dermatologic issues), but for the most part I am pretty healthy.

I am so tired of visiting doctor after doctor and not finding an answer. If anyone has any ideas or has had a similar experience, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: No periods (but all tests are negative)

May I ask what kind of doctors have run tests on you? Have you been to a doctor who specializes in Reproductive Endocrinology?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

ras7954 HB User

I have seen two gynos, two regular endocrinologists and two gastroentrologists. I guess the next step is a reproductive endocrinologist, but I am just not sure what tests they will run that I haven't already had.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

I would still see one. True, they might run some of the same tests, but they are also way more experienced in treating infertility and may have a different reading on something. My OBGYN told me things that my rep. endo totally disagreed with.

Have you thought about cutting out exercising a bit? I know a girl who ran a lot and couldn't get pregnant. She was told to gain 10 lbs. and to stop running. She was pregnant 6 months later.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Would you mind posting your thyroid labs? I've been told mine were "perfect" too and they're not. actually, if you don't mind, can you post your results for your tests, sometimes there are subtle abnormalities, even if the results are in range.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, healthy, insomnia, no periods