It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

Chanel luv HB User
Does high testosterone mean infertility?

Hello,

I just found out my estrogen is normal but testosterone is high. I am currently not trying to conceive but would like to in the future. Will this effect my ability to conceive? I do not have pcos, just high testosterone contributed to genetics according to my gyno.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User
Re: Does high testosterone mean infertility?

Hi Chanel- what were your levels, if you don't mind sharing? Were they taken on day 3?
pcos is a very complicated disease to diagnose.
the main factor to consider is whether you are ovulating. sometimes, even if you ovulate on your own, the quality of the egg can be compromised by high testosterone levels. your doctor may be able to prescribe you a testosterone lowering drug, like dexamethasone in addition to a fertility drug, like clomid. There are many factors involved in the ability to conceive. You cannot know before you try. Sometimes, everything looks good on paper and you still don't get pregnant and yet, people with terrible health can sometimes get pregnant so easily. It's a crap chute.
I would have your glucose and insulin levels checked, fasting and tolerance. Sometimes, high testosterone levels in women can be caused by insulin resistance.

The Following User Says Thank You to bee01 For This Useful Post:
Chanel luv (05-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
(female)

Chanel luv HB User

Hi Bee,

Thanks for your reply ! My testosterone was 86 and normal range for women was listed as 73. My free testosterone was 0.068. I've been put on birth control and am now doing a low carb diet to help as well. I was not diagnosed with pcos. I do have regular periods every month and do not have any symptoms besides the high testosterone. My thyroid tests came back normal as well.

Last edited by Chanel luv; 05-11-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB Userbee01 HB User

Hi Chanel- actually, even though the old lab ranges used to be in the 70's and 80's, the new recommendation is that your testosterone be under 50. My lab range used to be 6-86 and now it is 6-50.
Your free testosterone level does not have much meaning without the units- can you post those? If you could post the range as well, that would be helpful. You should know that free testosterone has a poor assay (not a reliable measurement) and calculating the Free Androgen Index (FAI) is deemed a closer representation of free testosterone levels. The calculation is total testosterone divided by SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin). If your free testosterone or FAI are within range, and even low to the bottom of the range, then I would suspect your SHBG is very high. If that's the case, then it is probably also binding your thyroid hormone. If your have only measured total T3 and T4, then this would not be accurate, since most of the hormone will be bound to SHBG and other blood proteins. If you have your FT3 and FT4, please post it here.

Last edited by bee01; 05-12-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
(female)

ladyjadey HB User

There is a post in the PCOS forum that i really need Some1 to answer it is by me and its about my testostarone levels my boyfriend and i are TTC and i really need some advice thank u xoxo

Closed Thread