It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

hrcmm HB User
Smile HSG test not painful!

I promised my doctor I would post my experience on this website to share with anyone interested that it was not at all painful. The worst part was all the anxiety I had about it because I read some horror stories about it being painful, however in reality my doctor says only about 10% of the time it is a painful procedure for certain women who may have problems already. In my case, I took 3 advil about an hour before the procedure. My doctor inserted the speculum which was a bit larger than the one used for a pap but nothing crazy, then she swabed inside with an antiseptic which felt strange but not painful, then she applied a topical numbing agent to help avoid any pain, then they performed the test (injected the dye and watched it flow through my tubes). The whole test took about 5 minutes, with the dye part taking maybe 45 seconds. I will reiterate - there was no pain. I think a pap smear is more painful because of the scraping. I did have spotty bleeding for about 4 days after the test (wear a light pad), other than that no problem. Please try not to get all worked up before hand as there is an at least 90% chance you will have an experience just like mine!!

The Following User Says Thank You to hrcmm For This Useful Post:
Anamica (07-11-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

jennyjen47 HB User
Re: HSG test not painful!

I am really glad you had this experience. I was definitely one of the horror stories. Lol. I dont know that I want to share that here, but I did not experience the fun of and HSG and did find it excruciatingly painful. I know it can go either way, whether your tubes are blocked or not, and just because it is painful doesnt mean anything was wrong. Fortunately, for me, they were able to unblock my lady bits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have PCOS and my cycles are naturally 112-148 days long. I actually had a small blockage to deal with as well, unrelated to PCOS. We were trying to figure out why this was happening so I got my HSG done. I am thrilled that I had it done and now know that I am capable of conceiving. I had 3 rounds of dye put into my uterus as well, so the test was a little longer than some women have shared... All in all, I would do it again if I needed to. If it will help me conceive, there isnt a thing I wont do. The catheter didnt hurt, the balloon was uncomfortable but didnt hurt, but the dye nearly killed me. I literally yelped. By the 3rd one, I was sweating, trying to focus on breathing in for 5 seconds and out for 5 seconds. It was a pretty short test anyway and the pain was short lived. I actually had a period about a week after the HSG which was amazing. I then took Soy Isoflavones on CD5-9 of that cycle and finally for the first time ever, ovulated. I Od on CD19 and had a 32 day long cycle. AMAZED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never had a normal cycle, so having a period in both June and July was pretty amazing. I feel like a woman. I feel alive. I feel amazing. It really is shocking what having a period does to my emotional state. I have never ovulated in my life. I am 28 and just learning how to ovulate.

Last edited by jennyjen47; 07-22-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
Re: HSG test not painful!

It wasn't painful for me, either, and I even forgot to take Tylenol ahead of time. Glad you had a positive experience.

Closed Thread