It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

GreenEyes206 HB User
Am I Infertile ? ):

I DO understand not everybody is a dr on here but I just need some advice or things I can possibley do to test if I am infertile or not...
I am only 17, 5'1 & about 110lbs ; I have been sexually active since I was 10 but I had been sexually abused as a child (ages 2-5 1/2). There have been pregnancy scares but never an actual pregnancy. I have gone to the dr, they say I am healthy for the most part... Problem is, I have no relationship with my mother & I'm not close enough to any female members of my family to trust them about taking me to GYN. I have NEVER been to a gyno, even since I have become sexually active. I am really scared to hear the words if I am in fact infertile. I've only been with 2 guys my whole life & the 2nd guy lost his virginity to me so I know its not an STD. I have always had my heart set on having a big family & I feel in a way ashamed... My sister is only 15 & the first time she had sex, she got pregnant. Her daughter is now a month & 2 days.
What can I do ?! Please do not suggest I talk to family, that really isn't an option because they will assume the worst.

The following user gives a hug of support to GreenEyes206:
ehoneybees (07-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
(female)

celestialkel HB User
Re: Am I Infertile ? ):

ok, first let me start out by saying that at age 17, having a baby should be the last thing on your mind right now!...that said, there is no reason to think that you are infertile just because you have not gotten pregnant yet...I'd say you are just lucky that it has not happened!...there are ways to tell if you are ovulating regularly though, and most times if periods are regular, that is a pretty good indication that you are...infertility is sometimes difficult to determine based on regular cycles, because there could be Endometriosis, Fibroids, cysts on the ovaries, and a host of other things that come into play!...

It is very important that you see a Gynecologist for an exam and a pap smear as soon as you can, since you have been sexually active...certain "silent infections" can occur and cause women to become infertile if not treated ( they can cause scar tissue on the ovaries, tubes, and uterus )...the doctor will not be able to tell you for sure if you have any fertility issues based on examination alone...this requires a lot of expensive and time consuming tests, but the best thing to do is to assume that you ARE fertile and can get pregnant, because you need to protect yourself until you are ready for a baby!...I am a nurse and I have worked in an OB/GYN office, and I have seen so many teens that have come in pregnant because they thought they could not get that way!!...be careful and please see a Gynecologist as soon as you can!...if you don't have insurance, there are clinics operated by the county you live in that can help you with free or low cost exams, so just look it up and give them a call!...I hope this helps and please take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
(female)

CaliGirlie HB User
Re: Am I Infertile ? ):

Go see a gyno. Even if you think there's no chance of an STD, the bottom line is, you are sexually active and you need to have an exam. Also tell the doctor your concerns and have her do a blood test to check your hormone levels. And please consider going on the pill.

I have to agree with the other replies here. 17 is very young. I know you feel a lot older than what you are, and I'm sure you are very mature as it seems you've handled a lot of responsibility from a young age. But you should think about what will happen if you DO get pregnant. How will you support your baby? If you don't work, how will you afford to take care of it? If you do work, who will watch it? Will you live on your own? Please don't compare yourself to your 15 year old sister. Having a child at that age is not something to strive for. If you truly want to be a mother, think about your future child instead of thinking about just yourself. Does your child deserve to have two parents who are in a stable relationship? Does your child deserve to have a decent home, financial stability, and parents who can not only provide the bare minimum, but much more than that? If you answer yes to any of these questions, I urge you to please wait a few years. Get an education and a good job and give your future children the life they deserve.

Closed Thread