It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jtiegs HB User
Question Throat lumps or swollen gland related to ear issue?

Has anyone else experienced a raised lymph node or odd swallowing issue (like there's a golf ball in one side of the throat) in conjunction with their inner ear issues? I have had this probably ten times since June when this drawn out episode started. My family practice doc said it was unrelated, but I am not so sure about that. I haven't run it by the neuro-otologist yet. It seems odd, and it never turns into a virus or anything. I get it, and go to bed, buy morning it's gone. It's on my mind again because it just happened again yesterday, and today I am fine. Anyone else having this?
Julianne

Old 11-26-2003, 08:02 AM   #2

SK1 HB User
Re: Throat lumps or swollen gland related to ear issue?

I've been battling with something similar for about 6 months. Is started with a swelling on one side of my throat, not really all that painfull, but very odd feeling. It migrated back and forth from one side to another. It lasted for about a week each episode. I freaked myself out enough to go to the docs for it. They diagnosed me with tonsilitis, and did a throat culture. The gave me some antibiotics and it went away, though I feel as if the ABs did'nt do it. It just went away on it's own.

This whole scenario occured again the next month. This time I was sent in for a CT scan, blood test, and another culture. All came up negative for anything. I was refered to an ENT, and they basically wanted to pull out my tonsils, as well as do sinus surgery. Needless to say, I'm not having that done. I strongly feel it is possibly related to my tonsils, but I don't know for sure.

Most worrysome and annoying, is that I've had problems with a clicking sound in my right ear and a slightly swollen feeling in my throat for about 3 months now. I don't know what's going on with it, but I really feel as if my ear and this swelling is conected. It's both on the same side, and are about the same intensity. I'm contemplating going back ot the doc about it, but do to the way they treated me last time I went(it was an insane ordeal), I think I might just give it more time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2003, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jtiegs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1
I've been battling with something similar for about 6 months. Is started with a swelling on one side of my throat, not really all that painfull, but very odd feeling. It migrated back and forth from one side to another. It lasted for about a week each episode. I freaked myself out enough to go to the docs for it. They diagnosed me with tonsilitis, and did a throat culture. The gave me some antibiotics and it went away, though I feel as if the ABs did'nt do it. It just went away on it's own.

This whole scenario occured again the next month. This time I was sent in for a CT scan, blood test, and another culture. All came up negative for anything. I was refered to an ENT, and they basically wanted to pull out my tonsils, as well as do sinus surgery. Needless to say, I'm not having that done. I strongly feel it is possibly related to my tonsils, but I don't know for sure.

Most worrysome and annoying, is that I've had problems with a clicking sound in my right ear and a slightly swollen feeling in my throat for about 3 months now. I don't know what's going on with it, but I really feel as if my ear and this swelling is conected. It's both on the same side, and are about the same intensity. I'm contemplating going back ot the doc about it, but do to the way they treated me last time I went(it was an insane ordeal), I think I might just give it more time.
Interesting, and strange about the tonsilitis issue. I don't think that's the problem for me, I feel like it's my immune system doing something, but I am not sure what, as a response to this problem??? Just a guess. Do you have sore throats? I don't, it's more like a lumpy swallowing sensation. Very odd. And it only lasts for one day, then passes as if nothing every happened. I saw the doc today, vented about that on another thread, but I didn't mention it to her, I felt it wasn't worth it after a ten minute wasted conversation. I will wait until I see the neuro-otologist for follow up in a few weeks.

Thanks for contributing, your situation is interesting.

Julianne

Old 11-27-2003, 07:42 PM   #4

SK1 HB User

Of course, i failed to mention that I smoke. I'm a young man, but I think it's got something to do with it. I'm trying to quit right now.

As for my throat, I've gotta say a few things. First, I never get sore throats. My tonsils are somewhat unremarkable, though "criptic", and the overall feeling here is that I have some sort of irritant(cigs) or that I have a deficiency. The ENT is going on the principle that I have a mechnical problem, ie, improper drainage, but radical surgery is rather pointless.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm getting pretty tired of this condition myself. It sorta feels like a sickness that just never went away.

Closed Thread