It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 05:42 AM   #1

LightheadedBob HB User
Question Lightheadedness and Migraine Meds

I've searched for years (going on 12 now) for an answer to my lightheadedness. Went from physician to physician for years, who constantly diagnosed me with anxiety and prescribed for me every SSRI known to mankind. I finally went to an Otolaryngologist, who diagnosed me with BPPV. I had PT, which has been marginally helpful. In the meantime (and maybe due to the lightheadedness), I became terribly depressed and finally swallowed my pride and went to a shrink. She prescribed Lexapro for the depression, but also became convinced that the lightheadedness was neurological in origin. So, she also gave me an Rx for Lamictal, which was originally developed for epileptics, but has also shown to be effective for those suffering from Migraines (my shrink thinks I might be experiencing a migraine variant). I've now progressed up to 100mg/day and seem to have noticed at least somewhat an improvement. Of course, this might be psychosomatic (remember, I've been diagnosed by countless MDs - as well as my wife - as "loopy").

Questions:
*Have any of you ever been prescribed meds for migraine variants?
*Do any of you know of any information/data involving lightheadedness and migraine variants?
*What's the fastest land animal?

Peace and hope to you all.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Re: Lightheadedness and Migraine Meds

Hi Bob,

Yup, she's treating you for a type of atypical migraine called migraine associated vertigo. It's a weird 'animal,' can cause major vertigo, sometimes just dizziness, and, because it's so odd, I wouldn't be surprised if it could cause your symptoms, especially as no one has come up with the solution so far. It's not that common a condition, but with neurotology departments it's fairly well known as one of the causes of unresolved dizzy symptoms. Often if and when vestibular rehabilitation hasn't worked, they try migraine drugs in case they might do the trick. It seems your psychiatrist knows a lot more than some ear nose and throat docs, who are often severely lacking in knowledge when it comes to dizziness. I know of a number of people from various dizzy sites who have been treated with migraine meds - generally either tricyclic anti depressants - (although in this case not for depression) beta blockers, or calcium channel blockers. I haven't heard of the drug you've mentioned which doesn't mean to say it won't work, I just haven't heard of it. Some people do respond fantastically well to these drugs and it resolves their symptoms - although it can often take a few months to see the full effects.

Fastest land animal - that's a tougher one to answer. Possibly cheetah?

Hope this helps,

hbep.

Last edited by hbep; 03-01-2004 at 11:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 10:21 AM   #3

sandoval HB User

Bob, I recently received a second opinion , and the neuro-oto thinks its migraine related. He prescribed verapamil, a calcium channel blocker, that also helps to prevent migraine symptoms.

Last edited by ilndlvr; 04-19-2004 at 07:15 PM.

Old 03-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

hi, i was also dx with this recently, do you get headaches? as i really dont and all my symptoms are bizarre ear symptoms, so on my own i am looking at tmj next, as i could have that as well. look into that. i know hbep knows a bit as i believe she has it also. i am new at a lot of this. my dr. gave me no drugs, just a diet to follow! lib

Old 03-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Anastasia HB User

hi bob

i just started an herbal approach to my migraines. i'm taking Fever Few and Willow Bark daily. i started 2 days ago so i don't really know how they will work but i will let you know. i was diognosed with A typical migraines and given something that i refused to take (i react badly to heavy pain killers).

FATTEST land animal, my hedgehog "Chubbles". also the fastest when there are mealworms near by. yum!

Closed Thread