It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
Vrt

Hi all

We all seem to be raising questions re. VRT so I wanted to just write this post...

Jonathan asked the best way to do VRT. What I have read has indicated there is no correct way to do VRT. London say do each exercise at a time, others say no do a few at a time. From what I have been told is the reason why some do one at a time is for people with real vertigo who cannot deal with lots of exercises and get unmotivated and quit. Ok I am not at that stage, I am very motivated and not too vertiginous compared to others...In answer to your question Jonathan, Ive developed my own VRT using 2 different centre's programmes and from research Ive read (ive just ordered a VRT book written by London so this'll aid me more). It's completely individual but the key is yes when symptoms free, progress and dont do exercises that you feel fine doing.

About this eye fixation...I mentioned previously I had researched and found these to be crucial in VRT yet no mention of them to me so far. So like Nina, I have started doing them. My god they are hell - you finding them so Nina? Dizziness lasts a few hours after and they bring on shifting. I'm going to slow my head movements down a tad and see if that helps BUT I do believe these are the key as we do eye fixation in everyday life.

Hbep - you doing these or tried them? What do you feel like when doing them?

Subs - you heard anything about eye fixation exercises?

Jonathan - I also find the head circles AWFUL. I would try them slowly at first. Yes I agree with your comment that you would not feel dizzy if you didnt have a vestibular prob. As for doign them without a physio's advice...not a prob IF your prob is inner ear. Thery only refer for VRT is they are certain it is. I dont see any harm in trying them.

So in a nutshell, VRT a grey area, noone really knows, do what you think but make sure you progress and dont do ones which dont provoke dizziness. Eye fixation, I think an important part. Oh and persevere, results take 3mths or more to be seen. Apparently you keep doing the VRT for as long as you still have symptoms as long as you are improving slowly.

Nina - keep trying with them - dont give up!

xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User
Re: Vrt

Hi Em, would you post the eye exercises that you do? I am STILL fighting this monster and wil try ANYTHING. Also, have you found any balance exercises that really help? Thanks, Belle

Old 03-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Vrt

Hi Emsybobs

..."Subs - you heard anything about eye fixation exercises?"...

Not in reference to VRT......

Old 03-24-2004, 02:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

brina HB User

hi emsy

i have been away for long w/e, i briefly read your post about your trip to see L.L. but now cant seem to find it......will u go to have the tests? i recall she mentioned to u that tinnitus is stress, i dont like the sound of that, thats way off. I have the basic cawthorne-cooksey vrt and i dont feel anything from them, if anything the eye exercises r the only ones that make me feel dizzier momentarily now, so i feel ive given up on them, but i try to get outside and walk everyday and do some dancin. still rocking but at the mo not as bad as its been, so i hope i havent jinxed myself now.
take care

lorr

p.s. i have found your post update, and im glad it has clarified that it is inner ear, and you can focus on the vrt and getting better..........best wishes

Last edited by brina; 03-24-2004 at 02:45 AM.

Old 03-24-2004, 04:14 AM   #5
(male)

jonp HB User

thanks Em's for answering my questions. I don't suffer from vertigo, just light-headedness and of balance, so i dont think ill be concentrating on just one exercise, im going to mix them all together. I think i will persevere with the exercises as it gives me something to do, and it just makes me feel like i am actually doing something about this situation, which helps. Who knows, in 3 months i could be cured (hopefully!).

As for the eye fixation exercises, are these ones where you concentrate your vision on an object that is held closely i.e. your finger in front of your eyes, and move your head from side to side? Id like to know, as you said these are critical in helping to recover.

thanks again for your brilliant advice!

jonathan

Old 03-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Hi all - belle the eye exercise is as jon describes...focussing on an object then moving your head. They are awful for me to do.

Brina - strange you dont get symptoms from VRT - hmmm..SUBS?

Just got my VRT book through the post - it mentions eye fixation exercises in that...also that exercise and CARDIO work helps dizziness along with VRT. Off to the gym then for me! xxx

Old 03-24-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
(male)

jonp HB User

i thought it was something to do with that. I dont have any problems with the eye fixation exercises, so maybe a good sign?

I have read that your are meant to move your head at a pace so that the object does not blur, and this means that you cant really swing your head around fast doesnt it.

I played football today!!! Nothing serious but it at least it got me out of the house. Im so happy that i was actually able to even cope running around. I didnt really work hard, as i didnt want to over-do it. I mostly jogged around with the odd sprint here and there. I thought i would not be able to cope, as it obviously requires head movements, balance, co-ordination etc. Im so happy. Im aching now, but its different.....its not a fatigue ache....its weird. Its a work-out ache! Bit disappointed i couldnt do more, but i dont want to over-do things and be drained again. Think ill start doing it more often. Its the first lot of exercise i have been able to do in 5 months. Lets hope its the start of many good things to come :-)

Ill probably be fatigued tomorrow, i pray to God i wont be.

Jonathan

Old 03-24-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Wow brill about your football J...That is v positive. I would have probs doing that!

I've just read the EF exercises should be done to the point of blurring! Try moving your head quickly - does this cause any probs?
xxx

Old 03-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Hi, Jonathan! So glad you are going for it and getting out!!!
The balance center in Chicago has me doing the eye exercises and I am supposed to do the head shaking as quickly as possible without blurring the focus point.
I don't get dizzy from doing them either. This whole thing just continues to floor me!!!
I do them anyway!
I am finding the best thing that I have done so far is just getting out and walking! Walking outside! It has helped alot. It always feels better for me outside. No walls to cause peripheral chaos. Has always been like that. I always feel good when I go out and work in the flowers which I am looking forward to!
Anyway, keep it up Jonathan, even if you have a hard day, just remember the good days will come again!!!!! They will!!!!!
Vicki

Old 03-24-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Vrt

Hi Emsybobs

..."Just got my VRT book through the post - it mentions eye fixation exercises in that..."....

Ok---got it now

---that works on the brain's "vestibulo-ocular reflex(VOR)" capability---which "keeps your eyes on the prize"---as the eye doc's say

---dates back to a capability necessary to keep your eyes focused on a target while your moving---as in running over hill and dale with a spear trying to kill your dinner.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:18 PM   #11
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Yep youve got it Subs re. VOR.

Laughed hard when reading your spear line!

I perhaps wont be doing that in the future but when you think about it the VOR is used a lot in everyday life like focussing on friends in a cafe whilst head is moved a bit and looking at things in everyday life. An important one I think but boy does it make me feel horrendous after doing it...

xxx

Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

brina HB User

hi emsy,

i feel a little worried that my vrt dont cause much effect now, but i do feel more at ease doing my own like the dancin and walking , my daughter has bought a beginers Tai chi video and im going to try that, we had a little try of it on our w/e away and because you stand with feet, shoulder width appart u feel more balanced.

vicki i can totally relate to your comment about being out doors and "no walls to cause peripheral chaos" at the start of all this i couldnt go out at all for about 3 months, but if i could look out of the window in to the distance it helped a bit, then when i first ventured out of the house , up to the pavement and looked out a long stretch or to the sky i felt less rocking, push pull, etc, i found being in small rooms intensified all that so much....so so horrid.....emsy this ties in to what u say too, about focusing on peoples faces , i find that hard to do , and if i dont know them, im sure it appears rude cos i just cant look at them for long......subs glad to hear u r still doin so well, take care all......

lorr

Old 03-26-2004, 05:25 AM   #13
Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brina
hi emsy,

i feel a little worried that my vrt dont cause much effect now, but i do feel more at ease doing my own like the dancin and walking , my daughter has bought a beginers Tai chi video and im going to try that, we had a little try of it on our w/e away and because you stand with feet, shoulder width appart u feel more balanced.

vicki i can totally relate to your comment about being out doors and "no walls to cause peripheral chaos" at the start of all this i couldnt go out at all for about 3 months, but if i could look out of the window in to the distance it helped a bit, then when i first ventured out of the house , up to the pavement and looked out a long stretch or to the sky i felt less rocking, push pull, etc, i found being in small rooms intensified all that so much....so so horrid.....emsy this ties in to what u say too, about focusing on peoples faces , i find that hard to do , and if i dont know them, im sure it appears rude cos i just cant look at them for long......subs glad to hear u r still doin so well, take care all......

lorr
Hi!
Let me know how you do with the Tai Chi. I also bought a Tai Chi dvd cause one of the PTs that I saw highly recommended it. She said it is really good for balance. I enjoy what I have learned so far. Last night after working on it some (it is hard when you have never done it!) I got I tired and a little loopy feeling but it seems those things land up helping in the long run. Let me know how you do with it. How far are you? I am still working on Lesson 4. The trouble is the movements that turn you all around and you can't watch TV and turn at the same time. I probably look nuts!
Even tho' I still am not 100% I can move around now, like dancing around my house. I have some satellite stations that play Christian videos and I find myself hopping around and I think, hmm, couldn't do this before. Now it doesn't bother me at all. I know I am getting better it is just SO SLOW!!!!
Hope you have a good day!
Vicki

Old 03-27-2004, 01:20 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

brina HB User

hi vicki

well, i started out trying simplified exercies , tai-chi-qigong, the eight strands of silk brocade qigong form......
two hands push the sky
seperate heaven and earth
looking behind you
archer draws his bow
searching the horizen and clouds
scooping clear water from the stream
offering a birds egg
revitalising qi
i really enjoyed that lesson, u control your breathing, i know that i am a shallow breather, and he talked us through being consious of breathing with our stomach, being able to see it rise and fall and not just the chest area, he said children do this naturally, they do, he said after the exercises you should see a red mottle effect in the underside of your hands, i did and he said that is the energy moving round your body as it should do.......we have looked at the video but as we all have come down with rotten colds, i will wait till i am better as it has increased my dizzy but i like tai chi. im glad u like tai chi too as it does seem good for balance though hard at first i like the slowness and that gives u time to control, though i have done this with feet shoulder width appart, if i it comes to standing on one leg that may be different for a while......u sound as though u have got quite far on.....well done.....u r right that getting over this is a VERY long process.............. take care...........
lorr

Old 03-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #15
Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brina
hi vicki

well, i started out trying simplified exercies , tai-chi-qigong, the eight strands of silk brocade qigong form......
two hands push the sky
seperate heaven and earth
looking behind you
archer draws his bow
searching the horizen and clouds
scooping clear water from the stream
offering a birds egg
revitalising qi
i really enjoyed that lesson, u control your breathing, i know that i am a shallow breather, and he talked us through being consious of breathing with our stomach, being able to see it rise and fall and not just the chest area, he said children do this naturally, they do, he said after the exercises you should see a red mottle effect in the underside of your hands, i did and he said that is the energy moving round your body as it should do.......we have looked at the video but as we all have come down with rotten colds, i will wait till i am better as it has increased my dizzy but i like tai chi. im glad u like tai chi too as it does seem good for balance though hard at first i like the slowness and that gives u time to control, though i have done this with feet shoulder width appart, if i it comes to standing on one leg that may be different for a while......u sound as though u have got quite far on.....well done.....u r right that getting over this is a VERY long process.............. take care...........
lorr
Hi!
It sounds like you are alot more familiar with the Tai Chi than I am! I really do have good balance. My problem at this point is more visual. I don't have any more trouble trying to maintain balance than anyone else in my family which I am thankful for.
It seems like the Tai Chi helps in one way that it just gives me something to focus on for awhile and takes my mind off how I am feeling. There are some simple exercises that you do at the beginning and my neck muscles are so messed up at this point that I felt like I pulled a muscle underneath my right shoulder doing the simplest exercise. I feel like such a wimp, but anyway gonna keep working on it! My daughter comes home to visit over Easter and I am going to have her help me cause she is much better at coordination type stuff!
Hope you have a good day!
Vicki

Closed Thread