It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 05:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Question Ear flutter

Hi All,

Just wonder if any you get this feeling of a moth flapping it's wings near your ear? It's this fluttering sound but is clearly coming from within the ear. I never had this happen before labyrinthitis. It seems harmless enough but a little weird when it happens nonetheless. Sometimes music or a particular beat can set it off while I'm listening to music on the PC. Even more bizarre it only happens in the left ear! Wonder what it is?

Cheers.....Scott

Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

brina HB User
Re: Ear flutter

hi scott

oh me too, exactly left ear, certain sounds trigger it, usually of the low sounds like air conditioning units, fans, low beats, i dont have it all the time but if the sound is right and my ear is facing the right direction , if u get me, off it goes. i havent had anyone explain it from regular docs but hbep did put up a description, my left ear is the poor ear is it the same with u, it must have something to do with the damage the virus, labs causes........but weird as u say........
lorr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Lorr....yup, exactly! My ear (left one only) must be facing the source straight on and it's only certain tones that set if off. It has happened only a few times (tonight being the third). It has always been a particular beat in the music I'm listening to that will create the effect.....if I change to something different (classical) it stops. In earlier lab days just bending over to do something or turning my head down while doing some task would cause other whooshing type sounds in my ears until I straightened up again. I must admit, the fluttering can make my stomach drop a little...probably my reaction to the "odd" feeling.

Scott

Old 06-16-2004, 06:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hi there,

Yup, I get this, it's almost certainly muscular, middle ear, quite common, harmless, just a bit weird. As far as I remember you should do a search on stapedial muscle spasm and/or palatal myoclonus. If this stuff gets really problematic it can be controlled with benzos - but generally it's best to just relax your shoulder, jaw, neck muscles and to try not to stress. Clenching or hunching of muscles in response will just make it worse. I think it's the middle ear equivalent of a tick in the muscle of your leg/arm etc.... I've seen it talked about loads of times during my trawls on the net.

Hope that helps,

best,

hbep

The Following User Says Thank You to hbep For This Useful Post:
tinygirl1976 (07-21-2012)
Old 06-16-2004, 06:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

hi,
i get everything you described and then some, i have pet as well, i think mine may be related to that, its very annoying. i am praying surgery will take care of it though. 8 more weeks and hopefully relief! lib

Old 06-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #6
(female)

dogologist HB User

Yes, I've had that! Only a couple of times, and I've not really taken much notice of it, as it only lasts a few seconds and doesn't really bother me at all, compared to everything else!
Ann

Old 06-16-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

I second ann, get this v rarely...get popping and tinnitus more... xxx

Old 06-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #8

star803 HB User

I get this fluttering. Sometimes i get it all the time but at other times I hardly get it at all. It usually coincides with the ear fullness. I never got it before lab. Mine is also triggered by sound. It used to bother me and now I just try and ignore it!

Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi All....I'm surprised at just how common this is!! Wonder why the labs would set it up in the first place if it's a middle ear muscle spasm? I suppose the entire physiology of the ear is thrown into some sort of chaos by whatever virus happens to get in there! Well, luckily I've only had it come and go quite quickly a few times. At least I know it's harmless.

Cheers....Scott

Old 06-17-2004, 04:52 AM   #10
(female)

lizzy33 HB User

Hi Everyone,

Yes I get the flutter, too. It seems that Labs can lead to middle ear probs too, so my ENT says. I dont really get the dizziness now but still get middle ear symptoms, popping, blocked feeling. A friend of mine had Labs a while ago and was left with slight middle ear probs - it doesnt bother her but nevertheless can be annoying. Rather have that than the Labs any day!!

Lizzy x

Old 06-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #11
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Yep lab certainly does lead to middle ear probs...but they do lessen as time goes by - just wish this blimin dizziness would xxx

Old 06-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #12
(female)

lizzy33 HB User

How are you now Emsybobs, I've not been on for a while (away with work), last I read you were feeling better after your recent blip. Still ok ?(well, not OK but you know what I mean).

Lizzy x

Old 06-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #13
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Thanks lizzy...not bad but motion comes back at night when tired and ive been working lots this week...Am plodding on and am a lot calmer and happier than I was this time last week. Thanks for your thoughts xxx

Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
(female)

Mandy_spruce HB User

I get this too, asi have realised that alot of ppl do...so atleast were not the only ones, i thought i was going crazy. it also only happens in my left ear. Does anyone know why it gets stronger sometimes or happens more often sometimes??? it has been really bad for the past couple days but usually only happens everyonce in a while or if im listening to something really loud or too many things at once.

thanks all,
Mandy

Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #15
(female)

woozy HB User

I was surprised to read all these posts as I also get this in my left ear but only when yawning. I thought my left ear was ok as get slight tinnitus in right ear. Do get fullness in both ears though. Weird isn't it!!

Closed Thread