It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2004, 01:10 AM   #1

mick1 HB User
Lateral canal paresis

Hi there!
does anybody have lateral canal paresis( unilateral underactivity), i have a 20 % weakness in the right ear & have been told i'm not compensating now. just thought i'll ask is there anybody out there who has this problem & if they have improved or not.

Regards Phil

Old 08-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #2

Billy2310 HB User
Re: Lateral canal paresis

Hi what problems do you have and how can they tell you have 20% lateral damage! I have problems with turning in my vision my horizon tilts sometimes do you have any of that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2004, 10:11 PM   #3

star803 HB User

I have a problem with compensation but havent been given a reason as to why...........im also interested in how they came to your diagnosis.

Old 08-23-2004, 02:09 AM   #4

mick1 HB User

Hi! 5 yrs ago i had a feeling of movung to the left, eventually saw an ent doctor(live in the Uk, takes abit of time) had some tests, eng, mri i think everything normal, had caloric test ( where they squirt water in ears & tests the lateral canals) shows had a paralysis of 20 % of the lateral canal in right ear.(i'm told its called a paresis)at the time was ok but in feb 04 had vertigo attack, had another cal. test same result. the lateral canal is working only 80% resulting in a mis match of signals to the brain & the brain is not compensating.thats what they tell me but they won't explain why i'm having headaches, earache, feeling of pressure in the ears. was told had a vestibular neuronitus in left ear by a junior ent dr. am a bit confused. especially concerned whether something is else wrong. in the UK it appears if they find something wrong thats got to be the cause without doing other tests. haven't had allergies tested or a neuro consult. have no problems with hearing, no tinitus or vision troubles. have lots of swaying both in the head and body, sometimes very severe and jerky. balance is resonable but walking at most times is difficult, to much swaying. overall i'm not sure whether the
diagnosis is the correct one, to many variables but i'm not a doctor. what test have you had? regards Phil

Last edited by mick1; 08-23-2004 at 02:10 AM. Reason: mistake

Old 08-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #5

Billy2310 HB User

HI yes you sound like me I have that problem walking I can,t even think of anything else while walking! It is so nasty all I think of is the way Im walking and if anyone could tell Im walking funny!

Old 08-24-2004, 03:46 AM   #6

mick1 HB User

Billy, thanks for the explanation & the advice. I know the caloric test is flawed, my test in 2002 showed a 23% weakness. I'm only going on what i've been told by the doctors, that my problems are due to the weakness in the right ear but I'm not so sure. I shall be asking my GP for a referral to see Prof. Luxon, have you yourself been to see her & if so did she carry out the tests you mentioned? This time I just had MRI, caloric & eventually a hearing test. I haven't had the rotating chair, postography test. don't know what the evoked response is. ha dthe flashing light thing 3 yrs ago 2002.

Regards Phil

Old 08-24-2004, 04:59 AM   #7
Inactive

Billy1234 HB User

I wouldn't be convinced the 23% is significant either - not that it really matters, a lot of stuff has been ruled out, which means that vestibular dysfunction is the most likely cause, so VRT is probably the best way forward. The original cause is not important at this stage.

I first went to see prof luxon in 2000, and she pretty much confirmed what I already knew - I had somekind of vestibular dysfunction ("peripheral vestibular dysfunction"), which I had failed to compensate for. I had been doing my own VRT routines which had helped somewhat, and she suggested I have CBT for a panic/anxiety disorder I'd picked up along the way. However, I'm a bit of an unusual case in that, once every few weeks my symptoms would take a dive and I'd feel totally yucky again, overtime I've also developed a whole host of other problems (not inner ear related - nobodies ever identified the cause) which prof luxon believes could be stopping me acheiving full compensation. The last time I went there was in 2002, by which time I had improved greatly, however, last december my dizziness got a whole worse again and has failed to improve, so I'm in the process of arranging to go and vist Prof Luxon again, but I've been holding off until I get a problem with my back sorted, as that must be agrovating my balance problems.

Closed Thread