It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #1

socalgolfer HB User
Inner Ear Problems w/ Fullness - Need Help - Going on 8 weeks now..

I am someone who rarely gets sick but have been battling an inner
ear problem for the last 8 weeks..

It started with sinus, ear pain.. I was prescribed a Z pack and told
most likely it was a sinus infection.. Finished the Z pack and I
still felt sick and the fullness in my left ear was still present.

My GP, saw me and prescribed 12 days of amoxycillin - 2000mg per day
to kill the infection.. After the 12 days I felt better but my ear
fullness had not subsided at all.

I get a referral to and ENT and they run many
tests.. They all come back normal, even hearing test.. He only sees
that my Eustachen tube is slightly swollen. He prescribes Flonase to
help with the swelling.. 3 weeks into taking the flonase, the
fullness in my left ear is still present and I still have moments
where I get dizzy with cold sweats at times..

I go back a few days ago and he runs a few more tests which all come
back normal but prescribes Dyazide and tells me to watch my caffeine
and salt intake.. This should help with the fullness in your ear he
says..

It is 5 days later and I am still having fullness and looking for
answers.. I find your user group.. I am considering going to another
ENT to get a 2nd opinion..

The fullness has kept me from sleeping and is going on 8 weeks.. I
can only sleep 2 or 3 hours before the fullness in my ear wakes me
up and is very bothersome..

Looking for answers and help..

Sincerely,

[ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 10-05-2004 at 05:16 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - do not post your real name

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

littleone1972 HB User
Re: Inner Ear Problems w/ Fullness - Need Help - Going on 8 weeks now..

Erik, depends if you have labs or VN, I was initially diagnosed with labs which went into neuritis, I had ear fullness on and off for about 10 months. Then one day it just went away. Each person is different as you will see from the posts on this site. The only thing I did was take some nasal sprays to keep the eustacian tube open, did lots of steaming. Believe me it will go just as soon as it came.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:45 AM   #3

socalgolfer HB User

I am not sure what VN is??

I am using flonase right now in addition to Dyazide which is a water pill.. This is supposed to reduce excess fluid in your body..

Like I said in the previous post, I rarely get sick and my ENT gave me this look last time, like I was making the ear fullness up..

The steaming you are referring too, is it a steam room or something else??

Will a drying agent like Sudafed provide any relief?

Sometimes the ear fullness is moderate and other times it feels like my head is going to explode.. Last night was the later, could not get any sleep at all..

Old 09-13-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Cool Re: Inner Ear Problems w/ Fullness - Need Help - Going on 8 weeks now..

Just throwing in my two cents, which you may want to run by your doctor first.

I experience ear fullness when my disequlibrium (wooziness) symptoms are very bad. Usually the ear fullness feeling comes on with pressure, like my inner ears are being filled with water or cotton. I also have ear ringing during that. What helps me is antihistamine, like Dimetapp or Benedryl. The Benedryl may also may you feel a little sleepy, which will help you drift off to sleep better, even if you are uncomfortable.

I sleep with my head elevated, which is the pits, but if I lie down I feel that I will "spin" most times. You may want to try elevating your head also.

You mention cold sweats with your feeling of dizziness. I'm sure that that is just anxiety from feeling off balance. It's very scary to feel dizzy, so your body is producing a little more adrenaline in reaction, which is normal when you feel nervous or scared. It's a rush of adrenaline and can't hurt you.

A second opinion never hurts. Take care.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
(male)

BennyGibb HB User

SocialGolfer: It sounds like you have a middle ear infection, inner ear infections are completely different beasts... The innerear is not the area behind the eardrum - thats your middle ear, the innerear is deeper than that and houses your cochlear and labyrinth. The dizziness people with innerear stuff get is Vertigo (spinning/rocking/swaying) which is different to the lightheadedness/fuzzyness people get when they have flu/middle ear/sinus problems, which I think you are describing. It sounds like your ENT has gotten rid of the infection but is now trying to clear up the remaining fluid and inflammation, the steroids should help, but getting a second opinion could help.

Wowwwwwweeeeee: I experience ear fullness when my disequlibrium (wooziness) symptoms are very bad as I'm sure you know can be signs of endolympthatic hydrops (gradual exacerbations can occur instead of the more typical violent attacks) or MAV.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #6

socalgolfer HB User

I would say it is more lightheadedness, not dizzyness...

Since I have had this feeling of discomfort for going on 8 weeks, it is really starting to worry me..

The fullness when sleeping makes it hard to get to sleep and I would say I can sleep about 2-3 hours max before the feeling of fullness comes back..

In addition to the Flonase and Dyazide, should I also try a drying med like Sudafed to help with the feeling of fullness.

Or would this be overkill and am I just being impatient???? Then again it has been 8 weeks..

Old 09-13-2004, 10:56 AM   #7
(male)

BennyGibb HB User

I would ask you ENT about using those meds together. As a steroid stops immune response and a decongestant makes any response weaker... the two together don't sound like the best of ideas... but thats something an ENT will know lots about...I'd go back if things don't clear up soon..maybe temporarily cut down on dairy which can cause mucus over production..

Last edited by BennyGibb; 09-13-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
(female)

l00py HB User
Talking Re: Inner Ear Problems w/ Fullness - Need Help - Going on 8 weeks now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgolfer

I am using flonase right now in addition to Dyazide which is a water pill.. This is supposed to reduce excess fluid in your body..

Like I said in the previous post, I rarely get sick and my ENT gave me this look last time, like I was making the ear fullness up..

Sometimes the ear fullness is moderate and other times it feels like my head is going to explode.. Last night was the later, could not get any sleep at all..

Old 10-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
(female)

l00py HB User

I also have fullness in my ears and sometimes it feels like my head is going to explode. Have been to ents, an allergist, a neurologist so far no relief and it is driving me crazy.My regular doctor is telling me I have anxiety disorder and sent me to a counselor who told me we are all getting older and things change no kidding, didnt make me feel much better. I sympathize with anyone who has these problems. I also get pain in the shoulder blades with this and recently for the past month or so tingling in the toes and fingers to go with it so I am at a loss as to what to do.
If you find a solution for all of this I would be happy to hear about it, thanks.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
(female)

l00py HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgolfer

Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
(female)

l00py HB User

I have this same problem with fullness in my ears, it started out just once in awhile now its every day I wake up with it, it feels like something is clogging my ear inside and wont come out. Ihave been checked over and over by ents, an allergist, had two hearing tests, an mri, a sinus cat scan all coming out normal. Had a blood test for allergies, normal. It is so frustrating because I cant seem to get a dianosis on this and it is taking over my life and ruining my holiday spirit for sure. I have no insurance so it has so far cost me a bundle and no relief in sight it is very upsetting to say the least.
I had a tube inserted in my ear, it gave me no relief so I had it removed.
My last visit to an ent I was told I had eustachian tube dysfunction and that it was hard to treat without knowing what triggers the problem. I am not scheduled for an allergy scratch test next week which is very expensive and I am worried this will also come out negative and where do I turn then.
Any advice on this would be very helpful and I would be very grateful. At the end of my rope. Joanne
I was told all this was being caused by anxiety disorder that there was nothing wrong withmy ear and do not believe this is the deal myself.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #12
(male)

myk327 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by l00py
I have this same problem with fullness in my ears, it started out just once in awhile now its every day I wake up with it, it feels like something is clogging my ear inside and wont come out. Ihave been checked over and over by ents, an allergist, had two hearing tests, an mri, a sinus cat scan all coming out normal. Had a blood test for allergies, normal. It is so frustrating because I cant seem to get a dianosis on this and it is taking over my life and ruining my holiday spirit for sure. I have no insurance so it has so far cost me a bundle and no relief in sight it is very upsetting to say the least.
I had a tube inserted in my ear, it gave me no relief so I had it removed.
My last visit to an ent I was told I had eustachian tube dysfunction and that it was hard to treat without knowing what triggers the problem. I am not scheduled for an allergy scratch test next week which is very expensive and I am worried this will also come out negative and where do I turn then.
Any advice on this would be very helpful and I would be very grateful. At the end of my rope. Joanne
I was told all this was being caused by anxiety disorder that there was nothing wrong withmy ear and do not believe this is the deal myself.
I have been suffering with the same symptoms. I have been having inner ear fullness for the last 3 months. Mine actually came after my first anxiety episode of my life. I was in a stressful situation and had classic symptoms of anxiety. Then the anxiety subsided but I have this lingering ear pressure that has stayed with me since. When the ear pressure goes away I am usually left with tinnitus. The only time things are good are when I am completely relaxed. (like when showering or doing light exercises) Taking long car drives are the worst and my symptoms always get worse. I can totally relate to all you guys and hopefully we get answers soon. I have been to an ENT and did tests and she has a wait and see attitude towards it.

Closed Thread