It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 06:32 AM   #1
(female)

ThinBones HB User
Question BPPV & Yoga, should I continue??

After doing the MEP yesterday, I noticed I did not spin as much during or later. I was a little light headed and off center the rest of the day though. Today, it feels like it is subsiding some. My question, I had started a yoga class, it did not bring on the veritgo, but I don't know if I should go back to the class (it is a beginner one) or if this will aggravate my symptons and bring it back on more severe. I DO NOT want this back as it was more intense this time and I don't know if head movements that are not within the norm (yoga) can do this. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks for all your kind advice, nice to know I am not the only one with the "dizzies". It is a horrible feeling.....

Old 09-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

treefarmer HB User
Re: BPPV & Yoga, should I continue??

Thinbones,

As you may recall, my BPV started in a yoga class (I had been taking it for about 1-1/2 years at that point). After I got back to a somewhat normal state, I did go back to doing some beginner yoga, but NO inversions! Well, actually I did do downward dog, which technically is an inversion of sorts, but no headstands, handstands, etc. That's fine with me! I found it helped deal with the stress of this crap. I would suggest talking with your instructor and seeing what they know about people with vertigo. You can just seek out modifications of the poses where necessary so as not to aggravate your inner ear or else just skip the really dicey ones and do something else while the rest of the class finishes a pose you can't do. Like for me, mine came on during a simple twist while lying on my back. I'm sure you know it; it's sometimes called alligator twist (lay on back, bend right knee, take it in your left hand and twist your lower body to the left while turning your head to the right), and now when I do it, I just continue to keep my head still looking up at the ceiling. No more looking to the right for me, since that's the motion that started it (after the headstand had dislodged the crystals, that is!).

Yoga is very much about listening to yourself and being in your own space, if you know what I mean. Honoring yourself and knowing you need to do different things is perfectly in line with the general philosophy of yoga. I know you generally sign waivers at the beginning of a yoga class that you are doing it at your own risk, but at the same time, the instructor should be there to help you make modifications and enjoy the class just as she/he would with any other person who may need assistance (people with various physical injuries, etc.). If you really enjoy it, I don't see why you should give it up. Just start slow and see where it takes you.

T

Last edited by treefarmer; 09-17-2004 at 03:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks so much treefarmer, that is what I needed to hear. I really want to continue as I NEED the yoga, especially for my back. It feels so great after you do a class, I just don't want to give it up, but given a choice between that and dizziness, well I know what I would chose. I will go easy and be very conscious of my head movements. Thanks again for much needed advice. Hope I cann attain the inner peace without a spinning!!i

Old 09-19-2004, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

treefarmer HB User

No problem; glad I could help. Good luck with the yoga!

T

Closed Thread