It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Inactive

clock HB User
unbalance and dizzy

Unbalance, I've been unbalance for 8 months and its driving me crazy. It all started with a sinus infection. I feel like I'm walking on a waterbed. I think its brain tumor or MS or something else. It gets me so depress and my anxiety is so high. Doctor want to push pills on me. My head feels heavy and dizziness. The pavement moves away from me and the stairs move when i walk down them. I know this is real not anxiety. I just want to get better and advice. Please help me.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-06-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment...if you are having these kinds of thoughts please seek Professional help.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: unbalance and dizzy

a netti pot or similar can be used to flush the sinuses, water goes in thru 1 nostril and comes out the other
get checked for middle ear problems also get doc to check your ears for wax, this is very obvious but often overlooked, insist on doc examining your ears, if he doesnt, go elsewhere

you may have lightheadedness or derealisation, look these up on the net, they are caused by anxiety usually

if you have a shower, dont let water run into your ears, you may have several separate problems

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 02:26 AM   #3
(male)

jeffster HB User

I had the same problems and was convinced they could not be anxiety. After finally trying an SSRI, (effexor xr) I know now that it was the anxiety. After a very short time on the drug, these symptoms disappeared completely.

Jeff

Old 10-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
Inactive

clock HB User

does anyone feel like when they have more anxiety they are walking on a waterbed. I feel unable to walk in the dark and constantanly unbalance standing. I have this floating sensation most of the time. Is this anxiety playing tricks on me. :

Old 10-08-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

clock, I have the same problem and have had it for now 9 months. The dizzy's you have from a sinus infection is that your sinus's passages are so inflamed they are putting pressure on yout middle ear. I recommend you visit the allergy board as well, as there are poster's there who can tell you more about this as well as me.

I see an ENT and if you don't have one see one. If you haven't tried Prednison along w/long term antibiotics taken at the same time might help. Also, taking and antihistimine like Zyrtec along w/a steroid nose spray like NasacortAQ. The nasacort will also help get some of the pressure out as well. Also taking a Decongestant can help relieve some pressure as well, but i recommend you talking to your ENT about which one to take. SOme over the counter ones like Sudafed are just crappy IMO.

If you don't already irrigate your sinus's w/saline I recommend you start doing that as well. This will help you get out the stuff that is keeping you inflamed.

Surgery can help open you up, but it won't take away the inflamation that is there. When you had your sinus infection your sinus passages were so wounded that they got inflamed and they are going to stay that way as long as you have allergies unless you can defeat the inflamation. I take allergy shots now which hopefully will cure me from allergies. If you haven't been tested look into doing that. It takes a good year for allergy shots to really work good, but I believe worth it in the end for many. I have been on mine now for 4 months and I can see improvemant slowly. But I do know that if the allergy shots work there will be nothing left to inflame my sinus passages and therefore the swelling will go down, meaning the dizzy's will go away.

ANyhow, I hope this info helped and if you want any more info come over to allergy board, I'm there all the time!

Halls

Old 10-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
(male)

Walty10 HB User

yeah clock i wouldnt worry too much. Ive had the dizzies for about 5 months now and went in to have an MRI and they found nothing except that my sinuses were very full. I took antibiotics for about two weeks and to tell you the truth it didnt really do much. They also thought my dizzyness was due to a sinus infection but now i really dont think it is. So dont get discouraged cause if it isnt caused from sinus inflammation it is probably just labrynthitis which isnt serious. Dizzyness is not fun at all but almost NEVER is it serious. If you had a brain tumor or MS you would be feeling some other symptoms plus your doc would probably want to give u an MRI just to make sure. Most of us get alot of anxiety due to this stuff and I myself develped panic attacks which arent much fun either. Anyways just hang in there itll get better.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I have decided that if my dizziness does not stop by spring i am going to start Vestibular reabilitation. I hear it is really helpful for people and the dizziness gets better. There is hope for the dizzies!

halls

Old 10-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

scant5 HB User

Halls:
I wouldn't wait till the spring to start with vrt. The sooner you get moving on this, the better. It really is the only way to get yourself better. Keep moving, moving, moving.

all the best,
Kathy

Old 10-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Well , I meat w/a new ENT on Monday and I think i plan on discussing the vestibular reablititation asap. I am so tired of the dizzy's and for some reason they just won't go away.

Halls

Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Inactive

clock HB User
Smile Re: unbalance and dizzy

I was wondering if anyone experienced feeling like there swaying when standing or feeling of walking on a waterbed. Does everyone have good balance.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock
I was wondering if anyone experienced feeling like there swaying when standing or feeling of walking on a waterbed. Does everyone have good balance.

I felt just the way you did a few months ago. I was so unbalanced/dizzy that it made me weak. After two trips to the ER, I finally had a CT scan done where it was discovered I had a sinus infection. This is the weird part: I had NO typical symptoms. No sneezing, coughing, watery eyes,,,nothing.
I took Augmentin (antibiotics) for two weeks and then Bactrim for another four weeks. It finally went away and I have been OK since. It was diagnosed as "chronic", so I may get it again at some point.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #12
(male)

BennyGibb HB User

Clock: Yes, I liken that feeling to walking on mashed potatos....

Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Clock - I have an inner ear problem and yes get the waterbed feeling - I liken it to being on a swingbridge or bouncy castle.

Susie - will a sinus prob show up on an MRI - anyone know?

Cl.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylabyrinth
Clock - I have an inner ear problem and yes get the waterbed feeling - I liken it to being on a swingbridge or bouncy castle.

Susie - will a sinus prob show up on an MRI - anyone know?

Cl.

Yes I believe it will. A MRI scan is more in depth than a CT scan. MRI's usually show hard and soft tissue problems, while a CAT scan usually looks for hard tissue (ie, tumors, bone abnormalities, etc,,,) The CAT scan can be performed to view your sinus cavity, but the MRI (I think) can do the same. I would ask your doctor.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
Inactive

clock HB User

Do you feel unbalance like your swaying when sitting or standing . or feel like your walking on a waterbed besides the dizziness?
/

Closed Thread