It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #1

lyn25 HB User
new here

Ok im sorry if im posting this and it relates to any other posts. I just dont have the energy to go through all the posts. I have a problem and its like the foor is moving. Its as if its bobbing up and down like a bouncy castle. I do not know what this is and neither do my doctors. Ive had a brain MRI and was clear and numerous bloodwork done which was clear. I just cant take it no more. Its pretty bad always except if i have some wine then it goes but i suffer really bad the next day. Lifts bother me and so do some lights.

I just want to ask, is this typical of ear disorders?? I have had serc and stemitil for ear probs(that to no knowledge i have had) and none of these worked. sometimes when i wake in the morning i feel liquid running inside my ear but i guess this is just heated ear wax due to being warmed when im asleep. Does anyone have symptoms of the ground moving??? Id love to hear from people who experience this. It isnt a head diziness just the ground moving. I HATE IT!!!

THANKS
lYN

Old 11-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
(female)

jadeearth HB User
Re: new here

Hi Lyn, Oh yeah, I've had the ground moving especially on strange carpets and the lights. Could be inner ear, anxiety also can cause this. Read threw some of the posts and information boards there is some great information. The recent thread New to Dizzies also helpful.

The sensations are often worse then dizziness

Hope you feel better soon.
Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
(male)

BennyGibb HB User

Lyn, The symptom you describe is called oscillopsia, and is very common in inner ear related problems (tends to be more common with bilateral problems than unilateral (one sided) but can occur in either). It is caused by a malfunction in the VOR (vestibular ocular mechanism) which is the mechanism which takes the signal from the balance organs in the ears and uses it stabilise vision (ie keeps you eyes on the prize as you a walk around). A problem with the VOR can occur anywhere within that mechanism, which includes the vestibular system- inner ear(the input), eye control/muscle problems (the output), or a central problem (the control center).... but inner ear is by far the most common.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Benny

Oscillopsia is infact not what you mention - but instead bobbing of the environment visually. Lynn describes movement of the floor under her feet.

This is v common with inner ear problems lynn - I get it daily...

xx

Old 11-18-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
(male)

BennyGibb HB User

Oscillopsia is infact not what you mention

CL, how so?

Oscillopsia - Continuous, Involuntary, and Chaotic Eye movements that result in a Visual Disturbance, in which objects appear to be Jumping or Bouncing.

and

Oscillopsia - visual disturbance in which the patient's visual field distorts, jumps, flickers or rotates. Often associated with vestibular illness, can be motion provoked or spontaneous and sometimes as a result of nystagmus (see nystagmus).

I guess the visual distortions which some of us suffer (me included!) are probably just an extension of that. Admittedly, it's more often used in the context of bobbing vision when walking (aka "video camera vision" ;-) ), though it's probably the same mechanisms involved (VOR and Gaze stabilization are almost the same thing). That said, I did misread Lynns post as the floor moving around when she walked, and my response was made within that context ;-)

I often wonder whether the "visual creeping" (for want of a better expression), is the result of misinterpretation of miniscule eye movements (caused by nystagmus), or whether it's purely a perception issue which is totally driven by the brain, or (which I think is most likely) the brains of innerear patients are not as good at filtering out the distortions and motion which are naturally produced in everyone - so it becomes an issue. - I guess it's irrelevant really.....

And yes - I get it all the time too, if I stare at anything for a second or two it starts, it also effects me reading books the letters start to twist and distort around on the page - I find it very disturbing.

Last edited by BennyGibb; 11-18-2004 at 07:57 AM.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Hi benny.

Yep - it was the context lynn discussed it which I meant...I agree with your definitions - though generally I think oscillopsia is used to describe the "bobbing" and not so much the "shifting" - perhaps the same as "true vertigo" and "vertigo"??

I dont get the twisting you describe. Get shifting and difficulty fixating on something esp when small but I wouldnt say I had oscillopsia.

xx

Old 11-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Benny: found this below...interesting how it says not accompanied by vertigo or motion...I think what Im trying to say is oscillopsia is almost all of the time to do with bilateral vestibular dysfunction so it is actually a very exact definition if you know what I mean and unless lynn has a bilateral deficit she wont have oscillopsia...Gosh this is getting deep?!!!!

Oscillopsia = the visual (to-and-fro) illusion of enviromental movement, not accompanied by vertigo or a sensation of motion, and it signifies a bilateral decrease in vestibular function.

xx

Old 11-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
(male)

BennyGibb HB User

CL,

Lol!

It's probably one of "those" terms again.... which has been defined differently a millions times over. and I doubt anyone writing the definitions will have spent as much time as any of us thinking about it... ;-). AFIAK, while the "bobbing" is common in bilateral loss it can also be present in unilateral dysfunction (albeit mildly), the term is also commonly used by MS patients and doctors when describing visual disturbance caused by nystagmus, and by people suffering with HPPD (which is more akin to the visual creeping you were describing).

But your right, I wasn't implying that Lynn has bilateral dysfunction (or anything else listed above), otherwise her symptoms would be a lot more severe..

pesky language of ours...

Old 11-18-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
Veteran

willsmommy HB User

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I have experienced the floor shifting too, 24/7 and it was purely inner ear related, really horrid, I know. You must keep on moving around despite it feeling very unnatural! If it is just anxiety than simply accepting it will make it go away in time and if its inner ear, then that too will pass in time. Welcome.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
(female)

anjr831 HB User

Hi Lyn25,
I came across your thread and was wondering if maybe you and I were having the same problem here. I to feel the bouncy up and down motion like walking on a wave. I've had a ct scan,mri,blood work visited the ent and they all say nothing is wrong with me. I've been experiencing now this for about 2 years and although I don't always have the up and down sensation I'm always dizzy. This past 2 weeks I felt the horrible bobbing sensation again.
I don't know if your still having problems with this or not but if you want to you can read my story it under the "brain and nervous system disorders" category under the thread "extremely dizzy!" I've got some postings on some other threads you can click on to my screen name and find them. I would like to see if we have the same problem here and see if you've found relief or help
keep in touch....BYEEE!
Anj

Last edited by anjr831; 05-02-2005 at 10:54 AM.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Anj

Just wanted to say I have an inner ear disorder (left ear dysfunction/damage after labyrinthitis) and have had it 2 1/2 yrs.

I too get the bobbing you describe and its v normal for inner ear stuff.

Have you had inner ear testing - an ENG etc?

I would suggest you ask to have this done as without it they cannot investigate the inner ear route.

xxx

Last edited by crazylabyrinth; 04-30-2005 at 04:00 AM.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
(female)

anjr831 HB User

Hi Crazylabyrinth,
Thanks for the advise! That's exactly what I'm going to do once I get an appointment with me ENT (sometime next week). I just had a question, I know that you felt dizzy too and had the up and down sensation but did you also feel a heaviness with you? A kind of heaviness that lasted 24 hours a day 7 days a week? That's what I have, I can feel it all over and also when I'm sitting or lying down. Do you also get this feeling?? Brain fog too? Just like to stand in an up right position can take all your energy. And sometimes standing up compleatley straight will just worsen the feelings of bobbing up and down!! Oh and one more thing, do you notice the up and down sensations get MUCH WORSE!!!! While doing something like aerobics, running, dancing anything involving jumping up and down??
Just curious to see if you've experienced this....Thanks
Anj

Last edited by anjr831; 04-30-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

I get everything you mention from: feeling worse when standing up, brainfog, activity making it worse etc but I dont have the heaviness. But I dont think its at all unusual for this...

xx

Last edited by crazylabyrinth; 05-01-2005 at 04:14 AM.

Closed Thread