It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 02:51 AM   #1
(female)

Toi HB User
Question Any help for a Heavy Head?

Hi All

My name is Toi and I have been sick since 7 May 2004. After going to many doctors and having all the usual tests (MRI, CAT Scan, Heart Tests, every type of Blood Test etc), an ENT finally diagnosed BPPV.

By this stage it was 6 weeks later and the vertigo was gone, but the balance problems remained. I'm OK blalance wise now but to this day I still have a heavy head and blurred vision, especially in Shopping Centres, although it is getting slightly better as the weeks continue to pass. I was hoping for normality within 6 months but now I just hope I am 100% by the end of the year.

Has anyone out there with BPPV been sick this long (6 1/2 months so far) with heavy head and blurred vision? If so can anyone suggest what I can do to help speed the process of getting better?

Another thing that confuses me is why do I have a fluttering sensation in my ear when I lie down and change head position. I didn't get an answer from my ENT when I asked him - he just said not to worry about it. I don't get it any other time. I did have an Epley but by the time I had it the vertigo was gone anyway, so it essentially didn't do anything to help.

I have read so much on the Internet (only in short spells because I can't handle reading for too long) but haven't been able to find the answers to these questions.

Thanks In Advance
Toi

Last edited by Toi; 11-18-2004 at 02:53 AM.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Any help for a Heavy Head?

Hi Toi

...."Has anyone out there with BPPV been sick this long (6 1/2 months so far) with heavy head and blurred vision?".....

Yes---for me---I did not get back to 100%---until 13/14 months---then occasional "blips" for a few more months---then gone---through out that time---had the heavy head/blurred vision stuff---but slowly less and less...

...."suggest what I can do to help speed the process of getting better?"...

Well for each of us---it seems to be slightly different----for me I stayed active---did VRT's a lot---walked day & night-----it was a---three steps forward---one back kind of thing---but in time---made it back.

Sounds like you are progressing---better then I did---at 6 1/2 months I could not even sign my name.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #3
(female)

Toi HB User
Re: Any help for a Heavy Head?

Hi Subs30

Thanks for your reply - it gives me some hope of getting better some time soon. I'm interested in what VRTs you did that helped.

Thanks
Toi

Old 11-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Any help for a Heavy Head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi
Hi Subs30

Thanks for your reply - it gives me some hope of getting better some time soon. I'm interested in what VRTs you did that helped.

Thanks
Toi
Hi Toi

Nothing tailored to my BPPV----just the standard core set of VRT's, i.e.,:

--Ankle Sways: This will help you build good strategies for keeping your balance while standing.

--Ball Circles: This will help you build good strategies for keeping your balance while standing.

--Circle Sways: This will help you build good strategies for keeping your balance while standing.

--Focusing With Head Turns: This will help you stabilize your gaze with quick, short head movements. This type of movement is used while driving.

--Gait With Head Movement: This will help you build stable head movements while walking. This type of movement occurs when walking down the aisle of a grocery store searching for an item.

--Head Circles: This will help you keep your vision stable with smaller head movements. This would be similar to standing in an aisle of a store and looking for an item on the shelves.

--Horizontal Head Movements: This will help you keep your vision stable with head movements. This is similar to watching for a break in traffic.

--Saccades: This will help you to tolerate quick eye movements such as those needed for reading.

--Targets: This will help you keep your vision stable with large head movements. This type of movement is often needed when changing lanes while driving.

--Visual Tracking: This will help you to smoothly follow a moving target. This type of eye movement would be needed for watching a car cross in front of you at an intersection or following a tennis ball during play.

Got these VRT exercises from the Univ of Penn P/T person---along with instructions on how to do them and how often---but---I think they are just a standard set of exercises---that they---hand out to---just about anyone---and are used/employed across the VRT Industry---if you do a search on any one of them it will prob/should come up since they are so common---at least in the states.....

Good Luck---worked for me!!

Closed Thread