It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

nc1323 HB User
how long does the virus last?

I don't really know if this question is answerable or not, but is it possible to be dizzy forever? I mean from what I have read vn/labs can last months or longer just depending on the person, althought most "books" say it will last less than a week. But if your inner ear gets damaged from this virus is it possible to be dizzy for the rest of your life, or will pretty much everyone compensate/recover at some point?? Im trying to explain this stuff to my family, and I keep get confused myself. I read something that said the brain will always compensate, well is it possible for someone to not ever recover from this? BTW, how long does the actual virus/inflammation last?? Like I am going on my 4th month of constant dizziness, assuming I have vn/labs, is the virus still causing the dizziness, or could it be damage thats making me dizzy? Thanks so very much for any answers, and as always I appreciate your help/support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: how long does the virus last?

Hi nc,

That's a tough one to answer. The actual virus that causes labyrinthitis, and there are probably many that can get into the inner ear, generally doesn't hang around for long - maybe a week to a month - just like most viruses. But it's the damage it leaves behind that requires brain compensation depending on the extent or severity of the damage (or the ability of your brain to adapt) and this is what takes so long. I imagine those that recover quickly have damage that the brain is somehow able to quickly resolve. Some have said that when the initial attack is severe, the recovery is quicker while slow onset (like mine) seems to take the longest to resolve. But dizziness goes away in a very high percentage of people - high 90s. Note too that vertigo is NOT a permanent condition. Sometimes too, viral labyrinthitis can lead to BPPV where "rocks" in the ears are let loose. If this occurs, the Epley or MEP (see archive) can usually sort it out.

Cheers....Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
(female)

nc1323 HB User

Thanks Scotsman,
Thanks so much for the information. I forgot to mention that my vertigo began very gradually, it came in spells, and it was never the spinning kind, and it never made me sick (thank God). Mine was a very slow onset, and I guess thats why its taking months for this constant tilting bouncy feeling to go away. So from what I understand vertigo, like the weird tilting and pulling sensations I feel, are not a permanent condition? But some people, depending on the extent of their damage, may be left with some balance problems right?? Anyway thanks so much for the post you have clarified a lot of things for me!

Old 02-26-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

I have labyrinthitis (2 years) - About 40% of people who get it have it over 1 year. The inflammation prob only takes about 6 weeks to go down hence why there are some who recover in this time frame. For others it is damage they are dealing with which never heals but the brain compensates. Scott is right - I was told about 98% recover and the people who dont are those who have other health problems or psychological problems.

It can take time - even the length of time ive had it is not seen as long at all by the professionals in this. But I would not panic at 4 months, my advice is to remain active, ask about VRT and a referral for it and keep positive as it will go.

xx

Last edited by moderator2; 02-26-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
(female)

pat52 HB User

Going on 6 months for me. Tried everything-Still doing Epley exercises, eye exercises, quit taking valium after 5 months-not helping-mezcline didnt work-MRI, CAT all ok-antibiotics didnt help. One doctor says it's MAV-due to menopause-another-BPPV then another anxiety maybe dont know (at she was honest-lol) Still dizzy 24/7-off balance and foggy headed-get confused at times. Light flickering through the tree, shining floors, buzy wallpaper /floor patterns, noisy rooms, malls all give me trouble. Had to quit my job of 23 years due to the foggy head and lack of concentration-boss not too understanding. It's the pits-I'm looking now for a job but really not sure I could hold on to one. Hopefully this thing has about run it's course. New symptom started-been walking every day 30 minutes-all of sudden started having asthma like symptoms after brisk walk.

Closed Thread