It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #1

jrwhitehurst HB User
Newbie question

I am new to this board, and thought I would share my story and get some feedback. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Around December I started getting sick. My lymph nodes in my neck were swollen, my throat was scratchy. I went to the doctor and they said it was a viral infection of some type, didnt know what. My blood pressure was slightly elevated, around 140, and I am only 24 years old. I went to the doctor and er several times over the next few weeks, as my symptoms didnt get better, only worse. They said that I had drainage in my ears, my throat was red and swollen, etc. I started getting a little anxious, because I wasnt sure what was wrong with me. I came back to school, (I go to college in VA and was home on Christmas break when I went to the dr), and no improvements. I started feeling like I was in a depression. I didnt want to do anything, I was always fatigued, my lymph nodes were still swollen, all that. The reason I thought I might be in a depression is because my uncle passed away in November, and I thought that maybe that had caused me to be depressed. I went to a doctor up here in VA, a urgent care type place, and they all said the same thing: didnt look like mono, they tested my thyroid, did blood work, all that and said it was all normal. My sleep schedule was all messed up, sleeping all day and staying up all night, staying home mostly.
About a week and a half ago I woke up and felt worse. My ears had been ringing for a day or two. I ate something, and after I did, I had a real bad dizzy spell like I hadnt had before. I went to the doctor, and he said I had vertigo most likely, this was in the er. Two days later I went to a regular doctor, and he checked my ears and said that I had fluid built up in my middle ear, and prescribed antibiotics. I didnt have the money for them, so I didnt get them filled. A week later I didnt feel better, so I went back and he said that I obviously still had fluid in my ear, just as much, and my lymph nodes and throat and sinuses were all still swollen, which they have been since Dec.
My question is does it sound like the whole time I have had an inner ear disorder, and the feelings of depression and anxiety came from that, or could I have been depressed and the middle ear/inner ear thing just added to it? I have had many of the symtpoms that have been reported on here: brain fog, feeling like I was buzzing or high, ears ringing, ear feels full, tired all the time, cant focus or concentrate, feeling disconnected at times, etc. I thought it was just a depression, but now realize that it could have been a physical problem that was causing all of this. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful I have gotten the antibiotics now and have been taking them for a couple of days. And like many on this board, some days are better than others. I just want to know what exactly is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User
Re: Newbie question

Doesnt sound inner ear related but middle ear related. You obviously have an infection going on - lymph nodes etc and middle ear fluid. This alone (fluid) can cause vertigo temporarily like you experienced.

I'm glad you are taking the antibiotics - give this time and you will recover.

As for the depression, I think its caused my your physical illness - post viral kind of thing - being ill can make you depressed esp if you panic about whats wrong. The other stuff thats been happening to you may well be "coming out" with this depression.

Try to keep your anxiety down by practising positive thinking - I will get better soon etc etc. You will be fine.

xxx

Old 03-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #3

jrwhitehurst HB User

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have been pretty nauseated lately, and have lost about 15 pounds since January because of a lack of appetite. How long does it usually take to respond to the antibiotics?

Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

About 3-5 days but make sure you take the whole dose.xxx

Old 03-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #5

jrwhitehurst HB User

Is it possible for the symptoms to get worse before they get better? My ear hurts worse, everytime I swallow I feel it in my ear, and the disconnected feeling or brain fog got worse last night. I went back to the dr and he just kind of blew me off, saying give it a few more days, etc etc etc. I woke up this morning and the pain and ringing was pretty intense. Is this normal for it to get better before it gets worse?

Closed Thread