It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
VRT and Working, incompatible

Hello,

For a long time now I've wanted to embark on the second leg of VRT - visual exercises. For a while I had big headache problems so couldn't do them, but now I am in a better position to give them a go. One problem - if I do them, I know they make me really dizzy, (I tried) even if I keep it to an absolute minimum. Having been ill for approx 2 and a half years, and having improved enough to work again - I simply can't afford to get too sick to work. I took tonnes of time off in the first 2 yrs and I support myself.

Has anyone addressed the issue of VRT and its incompatibility with work with their neuro oto? Anyone else in the same position? Basically I simply can't (literally) afford to make myself dizzy as hell. Anyone else managed to conduct a VRT program whilst working? I know another friend who managed to get well enough to work, and had to forgo the second leg of VRT for the same reason. It sucks. When I did VRT for eight months previously I was too sick to work anyway, so it didn't figure in the equation.

Just curious if I am the only person grappling with this dilemma? I am seeing neurotology in a couple of weeks so will bring it up with them, but just want to know if I am alone here, or if others feel similiarly stuck.

best,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User
Re: VRT and Working, incompatible

Hi Hbep

Im doing VRT and am working about 3 days a week - full on teaching.

I must say I dont find it a prob - yes the VRT makes me feel rough but the sensation doesnt last more than 25 mins and it doesnt really affect my ability to work - I fnd illness or when the dizziness increases due to other factors- that I find working hard - but VRT - I find - doesnt affect things too much in the long term.

Sorry I cant be of help...

xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 02:28 AM   #3

star803 HB User

For me, my vrt comes first and have found a part-time job that I can work around my vrt. It is super flexible and I a go in when I am feeling good and if I am not then I don't! They don't mind at all! But I manage to do about 3 part-days a week. But I don't have to 100% support myself so I guess it is a luxury being able to do that.

The only thing I can suggest is starting one exercise at a time. Instead of starting a whole regime all at once which is almost certain to knock you around, you can start one exercise and when that one doesnt create huge reactions, then start another one.

Also you could start the regime during your holidays so you have a few days before having to function again.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

And just a point - londons VRT scheme is so gradual hbep - I dont find it to be a prob - compared to the other one I did which was more "agressive".

xxx

Old 03-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Anastasia HB User

i worry about that too. i have to commute to go to school and noticed that when i do physio i feel like garbage for the whole day. makes it hard to hop on a bus for 2 hours. i haven't been doing it because i can't afford to miss school! i worry alot about relapsing like i did when i first started physio (like alot of us did). i'm hoping that i'll be able to catch up in the summer. how have you been feeling otherwise hbep?

Last edited by Anastasia; 03-13-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hi All, thanks for your replies.

Anastasia,

I am doing ok. Had a relapse a few months ago, which I seem to be coming out of now. Not cured but am often in the 90% range at the moment when at my computer, in familiar environments. Still have problems in shops and unfamiliar environments - hence wanting to do the eye exercises which are meant to help with this.

CL,

Doesn't matter how little I do, the exercises still effect me. I often get a delayed reaction. At the time I can be fine. It was like this when I did it last time. I did tiny amounts of one exercise and it could throw me for a number of days. Just the way it goes for some people I think.

best,

hbep

Old 03-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Anastasia HB User

i notice i get a delayed reation with yoga. physio makes me feel like garbage while/after i'm diong it but yoga will make me feel lousy a few hours later and it usually will last the night. i wonder why? btw, glad to hear your feeling pretty good. i'm in the middle of a relapse. it's got me a little bummed. i think its the weather. we're in the big transition from winter to spring. this time of year bothered me before VN so i guess thats why i feel extra crummy now. anyone else get this?

Closed Thread