It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 04:52 AM   #1

DreaC11 HB User
antihistamines, allergy and inner ear

I was wondering if anyone out there had any information on or experience with inner ear problems as a result of allergies. My "brain fog" is very very similar to the type described by people with inner ear problems, but a complete lack of dizziness or vertigo and the correlation between the beginning of the fog and an onslaught of new allergies leads me strongly to believe that my problem has something to do with an allergic reaction.

I have spoken to someone on the Allergy board who has dealt with this "fog" (feeling disconnected, in a bubble, drugged, spacey, disoriented, head packed with cotton) who has found relief from the antihistamine Chlortrimeton... which is also used to aleveate motion sickness (ie: a temporary conflict between the visual and vestibular systems). Turns out most of your classic motion sickness drugs (Dramamine, Gravol etc.) are antihistamines. Even Benadryl helps some people who are motion sick, but have no other classic allergy symptoms. So far, I haven't been able to find any concrete information on how these antihistamines affect the inner ear, except that they "calm the agitated labyrinth." Meclizine, another antihistamine, is often prescribed for Menieres patients.

I'm going to go to the drug store tomorrow and pick up some Dramamine (Dimenydrinate,) Benadryl (Diphenhydramine,) Antivert (Meclizine) and pretty much anything else I can find. Chlortrimeton didn't work for me, but maybe one of these will. I figure the worst they can do is make me drowsy. So, are there any Menieres people out there (or anyone really) with information on the the fluid containing entities of the inner ear and antihistmines interact? Any one been perscribed some of the drugs I listed above for labs, Menieres, hydrops etc?

Thanks,
A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
(male)

longtime HB User
Re: antihistamines, allergy and inner ear

drea hello, I probably wont ever know if my inner ear problems resulted from allergies or an autoimmune kind of attack... however I tried all the "new antihistamines" that are prescripted and nothing made a big difference (some think allegra works but ??? ) however if YOU want to try the otc antihistamines I would say thats FINE to try a few things on yourself.... most all of em are safe - just let a day or 2 days go between trying the next one, so that YOU wont be confused which one is helping.... For me the old antihistamine STAYHIST (is a prescription) made the most difference drying out the fluid and stopping the most of the clicking. I still have pressure but it is less.
as far as a meineres type of med list,my friend who has it severely is on :lasix,antivert,xanax, occ prednisone,and ?? more. hope this is helpful.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:24 AM   #3

DreaC11 HB User
Re: antihistamines, allergy and inner ear

I have never heard of StayHist and a web search didn't turn anything up. What is the active ingredient in it?

Last edited by DreaC11; 03-19-2005 at 07:25 AM.

Closed Thread