It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
(male)

Katkin HB User
I stupidly stuck cotton bud in ear - bit worried now...

Hello,
I know you're not meant to put cotton buds (Q-tips) in your ear, but they were so itchy and full feeling that I had to have a scratch. The right ear felt quite normal and a bit of light brown warm wax was on the cotton (ew). But the LEFT ear felt and sounded weird, almost like something was blocking it. I imagined a thin membrane from the sound/feeling. Also hardly any wax was on the cotton and the little bit that was didn't look too healthy, just sort of crusty and darkish I think. This left ear is a lot "juicier" (ew LOL) feeling and sounding and more sort of gurgely when I push (from the outside with my finger I mean). Also it feels more tender. Do you think there might be liquid in there? (No I still haven't been to the Drs despite feeling virusy/tonsilitusy). Anyway I'm feeling a bit odd/dizzy/lightheaded now and wishing I hadn't done it.
Hope I didn't do any damage. Bad me Any comments would be appreciated...
Katkin xxx

Ps. I forgot to say that that left ear is the one that was more painful and had the gland up (the ear pain and gland have down a lot!) and my left tonsil is the one that is most swollen.

Last edited by Katkin; 04-05-2005 at 10:31 AM.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: I stupidly stuck cotton bud in ear - bit worried now...

Hi Katkin,
Hope you are feeling a bit better today.
I think that you might have ear wax that is so compacted and hard that its stuck. That would explain the little crusty bit, and also that your ear feels itchy. When I get a cold my ears always play up - they seem to swell up and are tender and if there is a lot of wax inside then it can get really uncomfortable.
To remove it I would suggest using a few drops of olive oil in the ear every day, which will get the wax moving.
I don't have a clue about how to tell if there is water in the ear, maybe someone else can answer that.
Hope the virus is getting better and hasn't developed into anything.
Best wishes
Tesss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I had the same thing a few years back. I was so off balance that I was walking into walls! I finally went to the doctor and I had used Q-Tips a few too many times. I made a big wax ball in my ear and had to have the doctor "vacumn" out my ear. It worked and I felt 100% better afterwards.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
(male)

Katkin HB User

Thanks Tess and susieq

Wow I'm glad you felt 100% afterwards suzie! That's great!

I do feel a bit better thanks... ears feel really horrible and uncomfortable and weird though.

Both ears feel itchy Tess and infact it is the "healthier" ear that is the mainly itchy one This afternoon it keeps going thick and muffled and ringing unless I press it - a bit like when you go through a tunnel and it needs to pop! Eek!

Katkin xxx

Last edited by Katkin; 04-06-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Closed Thread