It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Hay Fever, how does it affect you?

Hello,

I've been doing really well dizzy wise for the last couple of months. For two weeks of every month I am often near normal, 95%. I am less good for the two weeks around my period, although if if degenerate in to bad symptoms it tends to be for a few days just after my period.

Anyway, long story short, I have developed hayfever for the first time ever. My nose is bunged up, it hurts, headachey, my eyes, ears and sometimes inside my mouth itches. This happened in April. I am using nasal sprays - steroid and anti histamines, and despite being trepidatious about it, have started taking an anti histamine tablet daily. I have I have noticed a mild intermittent return of vertigo. My eustachian tubes are intermittently closing up. My tinnitus is louder. I am just generally feeling less well on the head pressure/dizzy/ear front. I am now wondering if it's the anti histamines, or the hayfever itself, the sprays bothering my middle ear, or what.

I am curious for a compare and contrast. I noticed Scant mentioned struggling a little more with symptoms since the pollen season. What's been happening? Similiar? Any other dizzy hayfever sufferers? How's it affecting you?

Pretty fed up about this,

best,

Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: Hay Fever, how does it affect you?

Hi hbep,

Sorry to hear about the hayfever. I get it too but never noticed it making my symptoms worse at all - even in the nasty days. Weird that it started all of a sudden like this for you. Makes you wonder about the stress of labs and the toll it takes on the body.

Hope it goes quick....Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 04:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Scott,

Yup, I was wondering about the effect of this on the immune system. What with the stomach problems kicking in 8 months ago as well. Although thankfully that is finally much more under control. At the moment it seems like if it's not one thing it's another.

Glad you're doing better on the anxiety front. Stress/anxiety, particulary if combined with tiredness tends to cause an upsurge in symptoms in me also. Although it usually rights itself quite quickly once the anxiety passes.

best,

Old 04-25-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

HI hbep
Ive started having hayfever recently and am really bunged up, especially the last couple of days, and have felt woozier and more off balance. Although this could be pre-menstrual or anything else - I vary so much at the moment. I haven't really noticed any difference in dizzy symptoms when taking antihistamines though - but I haven't been paying attention.

It makes sense to me that if you are affected by colds then this would affect you also, because of the increase in phlegm causing problems for the eustation tubes.
Hopefully, as its meant to rain most of the week here, you may feel better - and this may help to prove the theory.

Best wishes
Tesss

Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
(female)

ASLme HB User

Hbep:
Sorry you are feeling so crap...this might be obvious but are you drinking plenty of fluids? First thought with allergies is to load up on antihistamines but the drying effect may make you feel more clogged (worse).
Spring is great, but pollen...
Hope you feel better really soon.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Hbep

Sorry to hear about this. I get bad hayfever but it never affects my symptoms.

xxx

Old 04-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

scant5 HB User

Hbep:
Over the past month, I would have to say I actually had a few brief moments of questioning.....what was that? It would happen at least once every few days. Just a feeling that would catch me off guard. Spring time is awful for me headache wise. I don't get itchy eyes, ears or a runny nose. I just get migraines almost daily. This will happen again in the fall when the leaves are coming off the trees. Right now my husband is having daily asthma attacks.
I just notice I am a little more off than usual right now. Our pollen count on trees is very high.
I wouldn't doubt this would have an affect on you also. I'm sorry to hear that this is causing you grief but probably will alleviate some once things are out of their budding stage. Everybody is different...for the longest time, an extreme amount of rain would kick my butt, but that doesn't happen anymore.
Biggest trigger factors for me are still lack of sleep and stress.

all the best and hope you feel better soon,
Kathy

Old 04-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
(female)

dizzy2 HB User

I think my allergies make this worse. When my nose is stuffy, my ears plugged up and then they hurt, etc... I was having a sinus infection or virus of some sort when it all started too. I know that stress, anxiety and being tired make it worse too. I have started to see a link with my periods too. I think my hormones affect the way I feel, whether I am dizzy or not. Then sometimes, it all seems so random.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all so much for your input, which has been immensely helpful. I have stopped taking the oral anti histamines. My absolute worst problem is a bunged up nose and everything I read seemed to suggest the topical sprays were the only thing that really did any good for that.

ASLme, you know you're right. I am all dried out and bunged up and of course, as is a tendency of mine, I haven't been drinking enough water at all. I am now forcing myself to down large amounts a day. Thank you for reminding me of that, it is so easy to forget the obvious.

Scant, I can't tell you how helpful your reply was. I have been having some horrible facial pain, I think this is partly to do with the inflamed nose, but it's also very reminiscent of a pain I have come to associate with migraine attacks. The increased ringing in my ears is another sign. This usually kicks in around my period, or after stress, or too little sleep, so I was confused. I was thinking, how does the hay fever fit in? Your post made me realise that this seasonal change/pollent etc could also be a migraine trigger. That would also explain the increased dizziness, along with, as some other people said, some eustachian tube upset. Basically I realised there was a hay fever/migraine link which I was failing to see. I am still seeing my acupuncturist, so am hoping she can help.

Oh dear, there I was looking forward to spring. Here's hoping I'm allergic to tree pollen and have less problems with grass pollen, otherwise I might be in for a rough summer.

best,

Old 04-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Hi..
I have seasonal allergies, the worst being in springtime..Right now with the high pollen count of the trees, I get the sinus headaches and also migraines, sometimes almost every day...Later on , when the grass is a high count, I get the typical itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, etc....Most times it does have an effect on my dizziness...Sometimes I feel more off balance, dizzy (but not really vertigo),and just kind of out of it....I find that a Benadryl does help with the allergy symptoms, makes me tired, but I dont feel dizzy when I take it...Also, for the sinus/migraine stuff, an Advil Cold & Sinus seems to work pretty well...I have just gotten over a bad head cold, and of course that throws everything off, but the dizziness didnt seem worse than usual when it would come and go....But I definitely notice my head/dizziness symptoms are worse with seasonal allergies...It is not everyday, maybe only a few times a week, month, it varies, but its annoying!

Old 04-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

scant5 HB User

Hbep:
As I was laying in bed I remembered that I failed to mention that my tinnitus has been more noticeable and I had also had facial pain because of my sinuses and periodically had stabbing pains in my ears. Looks like I forgot to mention quite a bit. I don't find any allergy meds work for me and I just use Afrin. Hope you'll feel better soon.

all the best,
Kathy

Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 PM   #12
(female)

treefarmer HB User

Hey h,

Sorry to hear about the setback. I've never had allergies, though I know they are tricky little buggers in that never having allergies before means virtually nothing as you age, as they can come on at any time in life. The body's a strange deal sometimes.

I hope you are feeling better. Your comments about having an upsurge in symptoms around your period sounds more familiar than I'd like it to. I'm basically doing just fine, though have had a foggy couple of days and it appears for me to be an ovulation issue, if that makes any sense. Damn hormones!!

I noticed you said you were taking antihistamines. Don't they have dizziness as a side-effect?

Terri

Old 04-30-2005, 04:23 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User

Hi Hbep

You know I have had a stuffy nose and sinus trouble ever since moving to Melbourne in 2001 at the age of 28. I had never had any sign of allergies before that. Melbourne is apparently the worst city in the world for allergies (I have been told this, so not sure if it's true!) so I have always wondered whether the onset of my dizziness is related to where I live. Hmmm...food for thought.

Hope things have cleared up a little for you. As we've discussed before, I am very anti nasal sprays after what I consider a near addiction to the stuff a few years back! I probably have Melbourne to thank for that too!

Jen

Closed Thread