It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

pat52 HB User
Spikey- Regarding working

Spikey- I am sorry about your situation but it sounds so much like mine. I too didnt have a very understanding boss.She was the type that never got sick and when someone did she thought they were taking advantage of their sick time. She was a nightmare to work for-never talked nice to anyone-screamed at you in front of others, literally threw things at you (paperwork, appointment books,) slammed phone down on you-even told a co-worker taking chemo-in a very rude voice when she needed to leave for a chemo treated-just how many more days are you going to miss work? She needed someone she could depend on to answer the phones. (Can you believe it!) The girl quit a week later. She would alos play the silent treatment-if yoiu missed work she would ignore you-wouldnt talk-you knew you were in trouble.
I had a severe case of vertigo at work-couldnt walk or watch tv, read, drive in car for over 2 weeks-couldnt stand any type of movement. I tried several times within a 2 month period to return to work- she just made it more difficult-the stress that I was going to have another attack at work-made everything worse. I even drove to work-knowing I really shouldnt be driving-but I was afraid I was going to lose my job. When I took a LOA from work-(worked there almost 23 years and NEVER been on leave or any extended time off (no maternity leave etc..) she told me my job was no longer available when I returned. But you know what Spikey-even though I pay over 1300.00 per month for insurance, and have not found work yet ( almost 4 months) I really feel better-the stress is gone-even cut my BP pills in half. I still have the lingering thought when I get dizzy or experience that "off" feeling the severe vertigo is coming back. I am still struggling to get my self confidence back-I too worry if I am ready to go back to work -what if..what if.. but reading that everyone else on the board has been or going through the same thing helps to realize your not alone. I will keep you in my prayers-I wouldnt wish this stuff on anyone-Hang in there-this stuff gets better-finally my brain fog is gone it took many months but just seemed like one day it was gone. We are sometimes our own worse enemy. It is really hard for anyone to understand what we go through-unless they have been there. The anxiety that goes with this stuff is just as bad as the other symptoms. I began to suffer panic attacks-but found walking has helped. GOOD LUCK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
(female)

spikey HB User
Re: Spikey- Regarding working

Wow Pat, your former boss sounds so much like mine, it's scary! I too get the silent treatment, she will completely ignore me if I have had to take any sick time off and it's not unusual for her to go up to a week without saying anything to me at all, not even acknowledging me, and even to the point of actually turning her back on me and walking off if I say something to her. I can't believe a 50-year-old woman can be so pathetic and childish. And as for your co-worker who was going for the chemo treatment, I can just see my boss saying EXACTLY the same thing in the same situation. It's horrendous.

I'm glad to hear that at least your life is so much better because the stress levels have dropped so much. I know for my own sake I have to do something about getting out of here, but I cannot afford any time without a job as I have to be able to pay my rent as I am locked into a lease on this place until February next year. I keep checking the job sites and keeping my fingers crossed!

I have had panic attacks for years (first occurred when I was having some marriage problems and at the same time my mother was diagnosed with a massive brain tumour, emotionally I just couldn't cope) and they came back with a vengeance when all this started. Walking helps me a lot too, and I try to get out as much as I can. I used to love to go for walks at night but can't any more because I don't have a dog now and don't feel safe out by myself.

I'm so sorry you ended up losing your job because of the vertigo, but by the sound of it you're better off out of there! Emotionally and mentally anyway. Thanks for the good wishes - great to hear that your brain fog has gone, hope you continue to get better and good luck with the job hunt.

Julie

Closed Thread