It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

lucylane HB User
Pulsatile Tinnitus (Is There A Cure?)

I recently read something about pulsatile tinnitus, which I have (5 years now) and I'm wondering if anyone has or knows anyone who has been cured. I read that it could be operated on. This is what I read:-

Objective tinnitus that is strongly associated with the timing of the heart beat is most likely the product of a blood vessel malformation of the arteries & veins of the head or neck area. These blood vessels are located adjacent to the ear on the surface of the head or just inside the head. These cases require special imaging techniques & often require surgery to resolve.

This paragraph gives me hope that maybe there is a cure. Please let me and other know if it can be cured. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Pulsatile Tinnitus (Is There A Cure?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylane
I recently read something about pulsatile tinnitus, which I have (5 years now) and I'm wondering if anyone has or knows anyone who has been cured. I read that it could be operated on. This is what I read:-

Objective tinnitus that is strongly associated with the timing of the heart beat is most likely the product of a blood vessel malformation of the arteries & veins of the head or neck area. These blood vessels are located adjacent to the ear on the surface of the head or just inside the head. These cases require special imaging techniques & often require surgery to resolve.

This paragraph gives me hope that maybe there is a cure. Please let me and other know if it can be cured. Thanks.
Hi

From the Northwestern Univ(Dr Hain) web site--updated on 5 May 05:

...."Surgical treatment of tinnitus:

Surgery is rarely indicated for tinnitus. It should be considered when there is a clear structural reason for tinnitus that can be improved with surgery. Examples include Meniere's disease, microvascular compression syndrome surgery, shunt surgery for hydrocephalus, closure of a dural sinus fistula. Rarely 8th nerve sections are done for tinnitus. They are successful in about 50%, with the price of losing hearing in 100%."....

However---it continues:

...."Surgery: Unlike some of the other treatments discussed here, surgery is not necessarily a placebo. Nevertheless, only rarely is surgical treatment indicated, and even more rarely, is tinnitus relieved by surgery.

You should certainly consider surgery if your tinnitus is due to a tumor and also if it is due to a venous source (usually pulsatile in this situation).

For venous(pulsatile) tinnitus, possibilities include jugular vein ligation, occlusion of the sigmoid sinus, or closure of a dural fistula.

Surgery may also be an option to consider if your diagnosis is otosclerosis, fistula or Ménière's disease. Occasionally persons with Meniere's disease have relief or reduction of tinnitus from transtympanic gentamicin. Microvascular compression syndrome, in theory, may cause tinnitus, but we have had very little success when the few patients we have seen with this syndrome have undergone surgery."....

You can go to the "information archive" sticky post(1st post on board)--scroll down to:

Info about dizziness, imbalance, tinnitus, and hearing - Timothy C. Hain, MD
Northwestern University Medical School

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com[/url]

put the url address in your browser and go there & read the entire medical/research paper....updated 5 May 05

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User
Re: Pulsatile Tinnitus (Is There A Cure?)

Hi there
I have had this pulsitile tinnitus twice in my life. The first episode began two weeks before my first attack of BPPV. It lasted about 3 months, and drove me crazy. AFter I manage to get the BPPV under control, the tinitis went away. A couple of months ago I found it coming on again. It scared me because I thought maybe it was a precurser to another BPPV attack, so I went online and that is how I found this board. I have managed to ward off another attack and did lots of research. I began taking Ginko Biloba, and after two weeks the tinnitus stopped....now, don't know what can take credit for that, but it did go away. I still take a small dose every day, maybe more of a placebo, but I'm just happy its gone.
Surgery is such an invasive thing, but you will know when you need to take more drastic measures, quality of life is so important.
Hope you find relief soon.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
(female)

lucylane HB User

I want to thank both Subs30 & firechick for your posts. I'm going to look at the archive information you mentioned Subs30 and really appreciate all the trouble you went to giving us p.t. sufferers so much important medical data. What struck me was the part about pulsatile tinnitus, since that is what I have. I'll have to investigate what all those procedures are and the risks involved. You mentioned jugular vein ligation, occlusion of the sigmoid sinus or closure of a dural fistula. I don't know what any of that means, so I'll have to do some research. You alsl said surgery meant risking 100% hearing. Did I understand that correctly? Firechick, I know surgery should be a last resort and not be taken lightly, which I don't, but I just wanted to know if it was possible to successfully rid yourself of pulsatile tinnitus via the surgery route. I have my p.t. under pretty good control with meds right now, but the thought of not having p.t. anymore via surgery, is worth looking into. Of course, I would take risks into consideration and want to know the success rate of the surgery. Thanks again for replying to my post.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
(male)

depflephc HB User

ginko helps me with the disconnected sense that comes with all this junk.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylane
I want to thank both Subs30 & firechick for your posts. I'm going to look at the archive information you mentioned Subs30 and really appreciate all the trouble you went to giving us p.t. sufferers so much important medical data. What struck me was the part about pulsatile tinnitus, since that is what I have. I'll have to investigate what all those procedures are and the risks involved. You mentioned jugular vein ligation, occlusion of the sigmoid sinus or closure of a dural fistula. I don't know what any of that means, so I'll have to do some research. You alsl said surgery meant risking 100% hearing. Did I understand that correctly? Firechick, I know surgery should be a last resort and not be taken lightly, which I don't, but I just wanted to know if it was possible to successfully rid yourself of pulsatile tinnitus via the surgery route. I have my p.t. under pretty good control with meds right now, but the thought of not having p.t. anymore via surgery, is worth looking into. Of course, I would take risks into consideration and want to know the success rate of the surgery. Thanks again for replying to my post.
Hi

Your welcome!

Have tinnitus--and on occasion--- pulsatile tinnitus---whooshing type--mainly a full time ringing.....so I understand...

As for the:

...."Rarely 8th nerve sections are done for tinnitus. They are successful in about 50%, with the price of losing hearing in 100%."....

The procedure that Dr Hain is talking about---is not for pulsatile tinnitus---it is the one where the 8th nerve is cut... and has nothing to do with correcting a venous source of tinnitus such as the pulsatile tinnitus you (and on occasion I) have.......

Old 05-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
(female)

lucylane HB User

Hello Subs30. Thanks again for getting in touch and clarifying. You seem to have done a lot of research and have tried to help a lot of people. I looked you up, because I was so impressed by your first reply, I had to see some of your other posts. You have been quite active. I'm a fairly new member & I've been pretty active already myself.

How do you live with a constant ringing noise? Doesn't it drive you mad? I'm pretty lucky because the meds I'm on give me peace and quiet for most of the time. I don't know how I could handle it if the noise was there constantly? The whooshing noise you mentioned; I use to hear when I was laying down and was having anxiety after a bad dream. I don't get it anymore, because of the anti-anxiety drug I take.

I notice you quote a lot of medical research. Has any of it helped you personally? I Hope to hear from you again.

Last edited by lucylane; 05-15-2005 at 05:30 PM.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Hi

Well for me---it has been going on for so long---nearly---50 years---that---I have sort of tuned out the ringing--its there---but just don't pay attention to it---just notice the occasional whooshing events now---they started in Jul 02---when the the inner ear infection hit---Doc's said VN then Lab the BPPV---don't use any med's for any of this(tinnitus/BPPV)

....."lot of medical research. Has any of it helped you personally?"....

For the tinnitus---research to date---shows---not much can be done---however for the inner ear infections---like lab, vn etc...the research---helps you understand---what the heck is happening, why and what you can do and when is a good time to do it....most of us here---never---would have even come close---to guessing how devastating---these inner ear infections can be---or how long they could last---and how disruptive they can be on the cognitive processes---let alone balance...so it give you a context to understand what your dealing with and how to fight and overcome it---which most will do---it can take considerable effort and time---but for most---it can be done....so yep it has helped!!

Last edited by Subs30; 05-15-2005 at 05:56 PM.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
(female)

lucylane HB User

Hello Again Subs30. You don't take any meds and you are able to most of the time tune out the constant ringing. With all the research you do, don't you believe any meds could help you? You must have taken antibiotics for the ear infection. Why not consider trying a minimum dose of anti-anxiety medication or something else that sounds promising from your medical research. Do you research prescribed drugs that help tinnitus and other ailments? I've read that what I take does help pulsatile tinnitus and I'm living proof that what I read is true. (clonazepam & effexor) Are you against taking any drugs if they could make life easier for you and quieter?

From you, I have learned it's not very likely if I had an operation to try to cure my p.t. that it would be successful and I would most likely end up deaf.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
(female)

loveherbs HB User

Did you have ear fullness too??

Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 AM   #11
(female)

lucylane HB User

I'm not really sure what you mean by ear fullness, except maybe that on occasion, my ear with pop and then sounds around me seem clearer. This happens rarely for me.

I read a post from someone with ear fullness and the doctor told him it was an infection and gave him a prescription for anti-biotics. He still is having trouble with his ear and is now hearing sounds in it.

Is your ear fullness constant? First I'd check for ear wax and if your ear is painful to the touch, you should see a doctor in case it's an infection.

Closed Thread