It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Constantly on My Mind

Does everyone think about this 24/7? I haven't been able to not think about this constantly for almost 6 months now. It is the last thing I think about when I go to sleep and the first I think about when I wake up. I've tried to do things even though I don't feel like it. I make mysef walk at least a mile everyday and I admit I feel better after the walk but I think about it constantly. I drive down the road and just start crying because I'm thinking about it. I try to muscle the energy to play with my 4 year old and my heart isn't into playing with him because I am constantly thinking about my symptoms, wheather or not I will recover, why this has happened, etc.

I try not to check these boards because I feel as if it sparks more depression and crying, but I am drawn to them because I feel as if all of you are the only ones who understand and listen.

How do you stop this or is it something that will go away if this illness ever goes away? I know it is a dumb questions, but I can't help to ask it.

Thanks for listening.
Gloria

Last edited by gloria2936; 06-21-2005 at 08:01 AM.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User
Re: Constantly on My Mind

Gloria,
I wish I could give you a big hug!
I KNOW how you feel and it is the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think about when I go to sleep. It's how you feel constantly so, I think it is normal to think about it all the time. When I had this four years ago, it's all I thought about, and I cried a lot too. I actually feel better after I cry, gets all those fustrating and scared feelings out. Just try to take a deep breathe and barrel through this. I know that's a hard thing to say when it's been going on six months, but it's important that you keep active. I'm glad to hear you walk a mile everyday. Very good.

Try to get the support of your family and friends, and if you need to cry, do it, let it out. You WILL feel better, it just takes time. Everyone has a battle to fight in life whether it be vestibular problems, cancer, ect... I don't wish bad things on other people, I never would, but realizing that there are other people with problems too, makes me feel like I am not alone. You are not alone either! I'm dealing wtih this as well, as are the other people on this board.

How are your symptoms by the way? I'm going on for my ENG test tommorrow. The doctor doubts it will show anything abnormal. Grr... I'll just wait and see.
Hope this message finds you feeling better.
Hugs,
Joy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Howie2 HB User

Gloria:

I think about this 24/7 for a while and I feel most of us do. It comes with the anxiety that comes with the condition. I also get depressed and sad as well. This condition just plain and simple stinks and is not fun. The hardest part is the lack of control and uncertainty. We do not know what causes this and when we will get better. I have improved a little and slow so I look at the good things. One thing that helped me is therapy with a cognitive behavior approach. It teaches you to look at the negative thoughts in a positive. I know at times it seems so unrealistic but at times it works. Stress and anxiety defintely make this condition worst. I also take a mild amount of Zoloft which is an ant-depressant which has helped some of my symptoms not related to the condition like shaking, sleep, and other things. When this goes away yes you wont think about this 24/7 but until then the one thing you can control is your mental approach. We have no control over the condition. We can do things to help the condition like VRT. We do have control over how we cope. Some days I can somedays I can not. Its a long process as is the physical. I look at it as when this is all over (crossing my fingers) I would hate to have a mental problem due to the way I handles this. I agree with you on going on the board as it can get you confused at times and my therapist did say be careful. Use the board in ways it can help you such as we all understand and leave the rest up to you and your doctors. This board has really helped me understand the condition and how everyone reacts the same. I hope you are feeling better soon. It is a good sign you still go out and try no matter how bad you feel. We all understand and are here for each other. you will get through this and so will everyone else. It may not be at the rate we want. In the mean time just make lemonade with the lemons we have.

May God Bless,

XXXXX,

Howie

Old 06-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
(female)

Jill43 HB User

Gloria,

I can sure sympathize with you. I think about this 24/7 too and my husband and family are getting very upset with me and I think that makes it worse. I feel like this has completely ruined my life and I have no idea how to get over it. I have been to every type of Dr. I can think of and none of them can help me. I was crying in my car this morning on the way to work. Wondering if this will ever go away and I can feel like myself again.

Jill

Old 06-21-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

lizzy33 HB User

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I felt exactly the same way for a long time. I scoured the internet and frightened myself stupid worrying that I had every imaginable disease under the sun. My family got really fed up with me going on about it all the time - my mum was great but I think even she was starting to tire of it all.

I dont know when I stopped thinking about it all the time really, probably when I started to feel better - but I think the not dwelling on it helped me to feel better so not sure what happened first.

You WILL all feel better soon, I know I do - it's been 18 months for me now and I startde to feel better about the 8 month mark. I still get blips and strange feelings now and again. This is just a bad phase in your lives and it will pass - that thought kept me going anyway.

Take Care

Lizzy xx

Old 06-21-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

dizzy2 HB User

I also know what you mean about thinking about it 24/7!! I did the same thng in the beginning. I think for me that once I had all of the tests and finally had some sort of diagnosis, that helped alot!! The fear of not knowing what was wrong almost drove me crazy!! I thought for sure I had a tumor!! I have good and bad days now, and when it feels like it will be a bad day, I try not to dwell on it. I get on with my day and am grateful that it is not as bad as it was 7 months ago!! Keep walking and stay active, it helps!! Try to find ways to relax and enjoy the good moments. This has been a long 7 months for me and it has been a strange journey into a strange illness!!! We all understand how you feel.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #7

cynder HB User

Gloria,
I totally know what you are going through. I cant help but think about this 24/7 because I am always dizzy. It isn't something you can ignore. At least not for me anyway. I wish we all could have the peace back before all this started. I dont even remember how that feels anymore. It has been 23 months for me and I had started feeling better but the last 2 weeks it has reappeared, I am so afraid it will come back or get worse. I think I should stay away from the boards to because I am afraid I am making it worse by worrying but they do help me so much. It is comforting to know I am not alone. I have received alot of support and information on this site and would never get by without it. So hang in there and I hope you feel better soon. I hope we all do.

Closed Thread