It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

Jill43 HB User
Gloria

Hi Gloria,

I just wanted to wish you luck at you Drs. appt. I think you said it is on the 26th? I hope and pray you get some answers. Please let me know how it goes.

Take Care,
Jill

Old 07-27-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Re: Gloria

Hi Jill,

Thanks for remembering. I am going to post a separate thread on this because a couple others asked about it too.

I hope your doing better today. The dr. did say that tinnitus and fullness will most likely go away. It just takes a long time so with that, you and I need to stay positive.

Also, I was reading in a booklet he gave me about dizziness and the different causes about Perilymphatic fistula. This is the same thing diver can get (barotrauma) and is caused by a sudden change in atomospheric pressure (in your case maybe the flight you took). it is a leak of inner ear fluid into the middle ear through one of the two inner ear windows. Maybe you should research this a little further and ask your doctor about it. It does say that it may close spontaneously. Just a thought.

Take care,

Gloria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

Jill43 HB User

Gloria,

Thanks for letting me know that the tinnitus and fullness will most likely go away. You are right we do have to remain positive. I did have a Perilymphatic fistula test that came back negative. My Dr. also told me if I did have a fistula I would have hearing lose and because my hearing is completly normal he thinks it is just a trauma to the inner ear.

I also had an ECOG test and it came back as positive Menieres in the left ear and was inconclusive in the right ear (it's the right ear that's bothering me) I just think this whole thing is just weird and I don't understand it.

I feel bad that I sometimes blame my husband because he's the one that wanted to go on that trip to Las Vegas so bad and I didn't want to but I'm the one that gets all messed up from it. I know that isn't fair and I shouldn't think that way. He said he wished it would have happened to him because he can handle things much better than I can. I'm just thankful he is willing to put up with me through this crazy ordeal.

Hope you are doing well.
Jill

Old 07-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Jill,

It didn't mention the test in this booklet but I'm glad there is a way for them to tell if it is a PF or not. That is good that yours came back negative.

What does the ECOG test do? I thought there was no way for sure of them knowing if it is Menieres or not?

My opposite ear from the ear infection has always bothered me more but they always say that it is fine. Strange, isn't it?

Take care,
Gloria

Old 07-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
(female)

Jill43 HB User

Gloria,

I know this whole thing is strange??? The ECOG Test measures fluid in the inner ear is how I understood it. They put something in your ear and stick things to your head. You hear clicking noises in your ear as they are doing the test and you have to remain really still while it is being done.

When the Dr. told me I test positive for Menieres in the Left ear but inconclusive in the right that didn't make sense to me and he really didn't have an answer either. I do not have the typical Menieres symtoms either. He also mentioned Hydrops which is the same thing as Menieres. He put me on a fluid pill and nortripelyn(sp??) I quit the fluid pill because that really wasn't doing anything for me but the nortripelyn helps me somewhat I think.

I also had steroid shots into the ear and that didn't help either. I have been through alot with this and that's why I really have a hard time remaining positive about the whole thing. I wish I could talk to you in person about all of this.

Thanks again!
Jill

Old 07-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

I thought it was strange too that they mentioned Menieres to me as well because I dont' have the typical symptoms of Menieres. I never had vertigo and my hearing is excellent. It is strange we both have this pressure in our ears (mine is terrible today) and the tinnitus where most others on this board never complain about these two symptoms. Did you ever have vertigo? What does your dizziness feel like? I kind of feel strange and spacy. Just not with it and like I am trying to think through a bunch of clouds.

The doctor did put me on that hydrops diet which I am going to follow extensively. It doesn't sound to hard to do.

Those steriods are so bad. I took them orally and I think they are what broke me down right before I ended up with this.

Take care and we will continue to talk to each other and get through this. I know how hard it is to remain positive but we will continue to talk until IT GOES AWAY.

Gloria

Last edited by gloria2936; 07-27-2005 at 10:10 AM.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

Jill43 HB User

Gloria,

The pressure in my ear is terible today too. I just hate it. My dizziness feels like I have been on a boat. I never had the true vertigo or spinning. The tinnitus is terrible too. Sometimes I feel like it vibrates my head. It's just crazy. My Dr. acts like it's no big deal but he is not the one having to live like this.

I took the oral steroids as well as the shots directly in the ear. Believe me I have tried everything. My hearing is excellent too and I am thankful for that. Well you hang in there and I hope we both feel better real soon!

Jill

PS Do you have this in both ears? Mine is just the right one.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
(male)

TPaPa85 HB User

I just wanted to reply about the pressure, fullness, and tinnitus in the ears. I also suffer from that. I dont have true dizziness but my head seems so full and cloudy along with some pressure, along with terrible fullness in my ears and it sounds like someone is crunching cereal in my ears . Mine all started with a terrible vertigo episode that lasted for hours but then subsided to just a horrible feeling in my head. The initial diagnosis was labs, which they said should go away within a few weeks. Still feeling bad after 10 weeks and finally got an appointment for a neurotologist on Aug 3. What stinks is that my insurance doesnt cover this particular neurotologist at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, but I heard they are really good there and at this point I'm willing to pay just about anything for some answers and help right about now, hard to say that when Im not working because of this. Just hoping to return to my old self, which I so much took for granted nearly 2 and 1/2 months ago.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
(female)

Jill43 HB User

TPaPa85:

I wish you luck with your appointment with the neurotologist. I feel the same way, I would pay anything just to get rid of this horrible stuff. Good luck to you and please let us know how your appointment goes. Hang in there!

Jill

Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

TPA,

What neurotologist are you going to see at New York Eye & Ear? I saw a Dr. Hammerschlag just recently at nyu. He was ok

Old 07-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
(male)

TPaPa85 HB User

Thanks for the support Jill, of course i'll let you know how it goes, as I read everyone else's and look for encouragement.

I'm going to see Dr. Alexiades. Hopefully he can help out.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
(female)

Jill43 HB User

I hope he can help you too. It's crazy having to live with this stuff. Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

Jill

Closed Thread