HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Inner Ear Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/)
-   -   back from eng test (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/308095-back-eng-test.html)

anxiety27 07-26-2005 09:24 AM

back from eng test

Just got back. She said all is normal, no inner ear anything...... BERA normal, hearing is perfect... dont understand.. although my symptoms have subsided for now, why did I have them in the first place???
MRI next week, hope they find nothing also!

dizzy2 07-26-2005 03:25 PM

Re: back from eng test

how was the ENG? I have heard that it is terrible and I am waiting to have mine.

joy78 07-26-2005 03:49 PM

The tracking of a dot on a screen, for me was fine. It was even kind of fun... like a game. The part that got me was the caloric test, where they blow cold then warm air into your ear canal to stimulate your vestibular system. You wear these goggles and they cover them up so you are in the dark. Then you are lying on a table and they blow the air into your ear. I got really dizzy from it and it freaked me out. BUT, it does go away as soon as they are done (they blow into your ear for a minute or so). If you can remember that it dissappears quickly you will be fine. Also, everyone has a different response to it. So you may not get as dizzy as I did. I'm not trying to scare you and you shoudln't be freaked out by it. I walked out of there feeling fine. Just be prepared to get a bit dizzy. if you do, just remember it goes away quickly. Good luck.

studyin 07-26-2005 04:11 PM

Hi anxiety27,

Have a read of this post which will answer your questions on why the ENG can show no result:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=305547

Best - Scott

adamw 07-27-2005 01:17 AM

when migraine is causing dizziness and vertigo, the ENG comes back normal in about 80-90% of cases. this is another possibility.

xbombshell31x 07-27-2005 02:26 AM

hya all
i had ENG testing in that nasty rotary chair.Couldnt tolorate the whole thing.Made me feel real sick n dizzy.Was made worse by having to follow those lights.Once i was out that chair though it only took a few mins for my dizziness to settle down to a more comfortable level.Have got to have caloric test in sept.My ENG didnt come back normal but i was diagnosed with vestibular migraines.Hope all goes well dizzy2,you,ll be fine
hya jill,hope your doing ok
xbombshell31 xxxx

dizzy2 07-27-2005 08:02 AM

Thanks for the response. That is one test I am not looking forward to. I don't need anything causing dizziness!! :eek:

xbombshell31x 07-27-2005 08:46 AM

hya dizzy2
i felt like that.Thats why i declined the caloric test this time.every one seems to be different with there response to these tests.I wish you well and let us know how it goes.
xbombshell31x xxxxx

anxiety27 07-27-2005 09:35 AM

But I really dont get migraines that often.... not sure if I had one around the time of my attacks....
Tech said, she didn't see any "rocks", in my ears....didnt know you could see them.. so she is not sure if I have bpv??????? :eek:
For the BER she said all clear of any tumors from the ear... Thank God! She said that the symptoms may not even be from anything ear related.. That makes me even more scard now...... Help anyone!
I am so terrrified, dont know what happend to me then, dont know whats wrong.

gloria2936 07-27-2005 09:47 AM

Hi Anxiety,

I'm confused. You said your symptoms subsided and they don't see anything wrong, so why are you worrying? I would be so happy I was feeling better that nothing else would matter. Hopefully it was just a nasty virus and is out of your system now. You need to relax and quict worrying about what caused it and concentrate on the happiness that your symptoms have subsided.

Relax and take care,
Gloria

anxiety27 07-27-2005 10:07 AM

No I know, Gloria. I am very happy that they are gone, for now. But I did have them before, it happened twice.. so I am wondering what brought it on.

gloria2936 07-27-2005 10:14 AM

Anixety,

Try and not worry because who knows if that could provoke it. It seems like a lot of this inner ears stuff is inconclusive. I honestly don't think these doctors and test are all accurate and it probably was your ears.

Joy on this board had it twice and it went away for her too. She said in one of her posts that you just have to move on and enjoy your life right now that it is symptom free and don't worry about it coming back. I know it is hard but you will just make yourself sick again worrying about it.

Do something good for yourself today. Remember your's is gone, but there are so many still suffering from this, so be happy.

Take care,
Gloria :wave:

anxiety27 07-27-2005 11:48 AM

Gloria,
Thank you for your kind words....I will try to let go! All good for now, right. :) Its so hard though. Don't want it to come back, it's scary. I wish you the best of luck also.
Thanks again for listening to me vent.