It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User
Thank you Hbep for Headache book!

Hi Hbep

I have just finished reading David Buchholz's "Heal Your Headache". Wow, this book could have been written for me. I can't thank you enough for pointing me in this direction. It explains why the Sandomigran and Ami worked so well for me too. I am going to start his 1-2-3 programme NOW and hopefully only have to do steps 1 and 2. I had a horrible week recently (while on holiday in S.A with my family) which tells me I am not rid of this beast by a long shot.

For those of you out there with dizziness who also suffer from headaches, and I mean ALL types of headaches, this book is really worth reading. You can order it on ***********.

Thanks again Hbep. Once again, you have been a wealth of information!

Jen

Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Re: Thank you Hbep for Headache book!

Hi Jen,

Good to hear from you, glad the book was helpful. It was a major eye opener for me. I only do some of the diet. I have to say I have been doing really well since taking the magnesium and B2 and also B12. Sorry I was unable to be very helpful re the type of magnesium previously. I now understand the term I was looking for is elemental magnesium. I think this means magnesium in its pure form. The type of mag I take is 200mg from Nature's Plus. You could try doing a search on it and seeing what's in it. There must be an equivalent in Australia. I also take the same brand of vitamin B2 250mg. They say take 400-600mg og mag, but that had me running to the toilet, and the 200mg seems to be working, so hey. I know I will jinx myself, but I do think it has accounted for a number of weeks now of feeling the best I have felt in 3 yrs. I'm actually surprised as I genuinely think it's working. The good spell really did coincide with starting this regime. Whatever, I will be sticking to this regime forever, lol. I don't want to get too hopeful but the idea of being able to beat this without drugs (seeing as they only made me worse!) is amazing.

Sorry you had a bad time of it on going to SA. What a pain. I wonder if flying had anything to do with it? Can also be a migraine trigger. I desperately want to fly but am terrified of a big set back. I will have to bite the bullet at some point, my brother is abroad and really want to visit him.

best,

Last edited by hbep; 08-03-2005 at 01:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
(male)

dizzy_dave HB User

Does this book really help dizziness? Sounds v interesting indeed. There is a strong history of migraine in my family with both my mum and grandmother - I don't really get many headaches, but suffer from v bad dizziness, and visual problems.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User

Hi Hbep

Wow, that is fantastic news! The best you have felt in 3 years! I am so happy to hear it.

I don't think the flying triggered the dizzies. They hit me a week and a half after I had landed in SA. I had had a week of broken sleep thanks to my own jetlag and my baby's jetlag so it was strange that it hit me after all that had passed. It really does seem random with me, but then as David Buchholz says, the effects of a migraine trigger are not necessarily immediate. On the particular day it hit me I was visiting a friend. I was in the middle of a sentence when I suddenly started to spin. It only last a second or two but was really really scary. I have only spun once before in the 3 years I've had this thing. After that, the dizzies set in really badly for 6 days. They were worse than they've been since Sep 02 when this all started. I was petrified that I had regressed back to the beginning. And then hey presto it just cleared up again on the 7th day. On the day I spun I had had breakfast at 7am, 2 chocolate biscuits at about 11am and then lunch at 2pm. The spin occured during lunch. I was absolutely famished and my blood sugar had dived so I think the chocolate biscuits just pushed me over the edge!

Before I left for SA I started taking the mag and B2. My urine went bright yellow and then I got a shock when my baby's urine went bright yellow too so I stopped. I had a look on the internet and it is advisable not to take high doses of any vitamins while breastfeeding, so I'll wait until I've stopped. I've decided to keep going with the feeding for a few more months, although I keep saying that when the dizzies are good and then I want to stop when they're bad so that I can take Sandomigran again! I'll just take it day by day.

Again, so glad you are feeling so good.

cheers
Jen

Old 08-03-2005, 04:01 AM   #5
(female)

Chris1968 HB User

Hi Hbep,

Ive just started reading this book (ordered it from the library) and can tell its going to be very good just after a few pages. I feel migraine is playing some part in this dizziness for me even though the pzotifen didnt work for me. I had bad dizziness on a plane journey both ways recently and the only thing I can think it was is migraine. Plus the dizziness is always worse around my period, so hormones are playing a part too.

Really pleased to hear you are doing much better, hope it continues,

Chris

Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

I have been a headache sufferer my entire life but have never attributed my dizziness to MAV as I had a bad case of labs initially and then got BPPV lasts summer. But a day before my cycle I get a crashing headache, can barely function, and often get stress bands around my head from ear to ear in the back. I have had four full blown migrains in my life, none since this began though. I get the visual aura, bright lights, can't see properly etc then have about 20 min to go find somewhere quiet and dark to wait it out no matter what I take. But since I haven't been having them regularily, four in about 20 years isn't too bad, I have never looked further into it.
Is this book available at the usual big box book store chains where you can read 'chapters' of books? I'll look it up now. Would love to rid myself of the usual monthly headaches, do you think this book can help me? funny how you live with something your whole life and accept it when there is something you can do about it!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

scant5 HB User

Hi Jen;
Just wanted to pop in and say hello. Sorry to see you had a set back, but glad to see that you pulled out of it pretty quick. The headache book sounds really interesting. I tried Magnesium but it goes right through me so I think I will have to ask my accupuncturist what would be the best type to take. I was taking the ascorbate kind. I would love to alleviate some of these headaches. We have had such a warm humid summer and I tend to get more headaches than usual. I can't complain to much because, I am also doing incredibly well. Like Hbep, lack of sleep and stress seem to be my only triggers.

Once again glad to see you pop in. Your baby must be getting so big.

all the best,
Kathy

Old 08-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #8
(female)

tooobuzi HB User

Everyone,

I was told to read this book by the doctor that saw me at Johns Hopkins. He was the one that determined I had migraines. I have been telling everyone I know that has headaches about the book. The book has changed my life. I was dizzy for over a year with all kinds of other crazy symptoms. I imediately began step 1 and 2. At first I had the headaches that they said I would have because I was having with drawls from coming off of pain medication like BC Powder and caffine. I cut the pain meds and caffine cold turkey. I also am very strict with the diet.

Since making all the changes and making sure I exercise and get enough rest my dizziness is GONE. I think I have had maybe two days were I was a little dizzy. Before it was everyday, all day long and it was severe dizziness. I plan on staying on the diet and am very hopeful that I will not require additional medication as I am doing so well.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with headaches, or migraines (as migraines do not necessarily mean you have headaches.). It is hard to believe that just a few short weeks ago that I was suffering such horrible sypmtoms that I thought I might lose my business and could hardly do anything with my children because I was so tired all the time.

It might be hard to believe that diet can cause migraines. I know for sure that it does because if I eat a banana...pow! I immediately start feeling the migraine come on. Being vertually symptom free makes all the sacrafice of my favorite foods worth while.

Good luck to everyone.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User

Hi Toobuzi

Thanks so much for telling us of your experience with this programme. It is very heartening. I am 2 days into the diet and going well. Thankfully I had managed to wean myself off painkillers (mostly) some time ago when I took some migraine preventive medication (pizotifen) and subsequently got pregnant. As a result my headaches have been better for a year or so but the dizziness is relentless!! I am now not going to touch painkillers and follow the diet strictly. The thought of beating this thing with a diet almost brings tears to my eyes.

You know when I eat a banana I feel weird immediately...and it took this book to highlight the fact to me. I always just put it down to blood sugar fluctuations.

Can I ask - how long before you saw positive results?

Jen

Old 08-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
(female)

tooobuzi HB User

Jen,

I certainly understand how you feel about all this being fixed by a simple diet change. It is so amazing how food can affect you. I would have never beleived it, I am glad I was desperate enough to try it.

Let me give you a little back ground. I had been suffering from dizziness, visual problems, cognative problems, extreme fatigue and foggy headedness for over a year. I had so many tests I had lost count. Around March I didn't have as much fatigue and pushed myself to start doing mild exercises. The past year I had not been able to do hardly anything because of all of the symptoms and I was dying to become active again. I think exercising helped a great deal. From that point on I noticed the fatigue gradually going away more and more each week although I still had the dizziness, etc. Then I finally went to Johns Hopkins and they recommended the book.

The book is great and the diet REALLY helps, but I think it is VERY important to exercise as well. I don't think it has to be anything super physical as all I started with was walking on a tread mill for a few minutes a few times a week.

As far as how quickly I saw results from the diet and stopping the pain meds, I think it took about a week to see a drastic change. It still blows me away when I think about how drastically my life has changed in such a short amount of time. I think it helped that I had already started to wean myself off of caffine before I even knew about the diet and started drinking more water.

It has only been about 6 weeks since I read the book. It is amazing how easily I can recognise my unavoiable triggers. The one that is really getting me now is the weather. It is really humid out here and there have been a lot of storms which really bring on my headaches. The big difference is that I am getting a normal headache, I am not getting headaches that feel like my head is about to explode and plain ibeprofin actually works on them. Also I am happy to be having headaches rather than the horrible other symtoms that can be brought on by migraine. (the dizziness, etc)

Are you having a hard time finding things to eat? I still do because I don't cook a lot. I was used to being able to stop by a fast food place for dinner and find I can't really do that now. What are some of the other foods you have had problems with? I accidentally ate some oatmeal with dried apples in it and I felt the headache come on almost right away. Won't do that again.

Have you found certain things that are your unavoidable triggers? I know for sure that if I don't get enough rest I have a tough day ahead of me.

I would really like it if you would keep in touch and let me know how you are doing with the diet. It would be nice not to go it alone, ya know? Maybe we could give each other some ideas of what to eat, because I am getting pretty darn bored with chicken.

Good luck with things.
Ronda

Old 08-07-2005, 03:13 AM   #11
(male)

dizzy_dave HB User

Hi Ronda,

Thanks so much for this: it's really inspiring to hear your story. I've been suffering from dizziness, headaches, brain fog, visual disturbances with varyin degrees of intensity for over 5 years since I was 25, and it's only since coming on this site that I have heard about MAV. I'm going to order this book now, as I have noticed a definite correlation between my diet and my symptoms (in particular drinking alcohol and caffeine, and probably cheese etc too). I'm so glad that you have got the dizzies beat, and it's so great to hear inspiring stories on here!

Take care,

Dave

Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 AM   #12
(female)

tooobuzi HB User

Dave,

I cannot imagine dealing with the dizziness, etc. that long. I thought I would go crazy just after a year of it. It is great that you have already seen that certain things (alcohol, cheese, etc)affects your symptoms. I can only imagine if you go on the diet and are very strict with it that you will do very well.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Take care,
Ronda

Old 08-10-2005, 04:33 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User

Hi Toobuzi

Lack of sleep is definitely my worst trigger for dizziness. I have a 6 month old baby which means I've been sleep deprived for 6 months!! I'm sure this explains why I've had such long bad phases since he was born.

I have been on the diet for a few days now. I am feeling pretty good except for a couple of whopper headaches (which incidentally I haven't had in absoluty ages. Perhaps this is withdrawel from caffeine?). My biggest complaint is the dizziness, not the headaches which I've lived with and tolerated all my life. The dizziness is relatively new - it reared its ugly head in Sep 2002. But I know from reading Buchholz' book that the dizziness probably goes hand in hand with the rest of my migraine symptoms so I'm really hoping this diet works. I do have good phases so I don't want to count my chickens and say that the diet is already working. My head does feel very 'clear' though. Along with the dizziness I often feel like I have cotton wool in my head. This has definitely felt better over the past few days even the though the dizziness is still present. I hope it's the beginning of the end.

I don't have any obvious dietary triggers that I am aware of now. I will pay more attention to them now. Bananas do make me feel drowsy and "cotton-woolly" in the head so that must be one trigger.

Hi Kathy - good to hear from you! Perhaps you should read this book too if you are a regular headache sufferer? Yes, my boy is growing. He is six months old now and a very healthy size! I love every minute with him and could give up work forever! I'm due to go back in Jan 06.

Jen

Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

scant5 HB User

Jenn:
I just received the book in the mail today. So I would love to be rid of my headaches through diet. Not to mention it would be so healthy. Take care of yourself and that Healthy baby of yours.

all the best,
Kathy

Old 08-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
(female)

tooobuzi HB User

Jen,
You might have a hard time with the dizziness until you are resting more. Can you nap while the baby naps? I recently went on vacation and I was staying up much later than I normally do (which we know is a no-no). I started having a bit of dizziness and headaches. As soon as I started getting the proper amount of rest again I felt better.

One of the things about the diet that really threw me was I didn't realize that the frozen meals I was eating was not allowed. I read up on MSG a bit more and found that MSG is in just about all pre-packaged meals. That is such bad news for me! That is most of what I was eating at work! Also, a couple of things that the book does not tell you is that beef and shell fish are off limits too. The doctor I saw at Johns Hopkins told me about those.

I look forward to hear how you are doing.

Take care,
Ronda

Closed Thread