It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
(female)

dizzymommy HB User
Upset stomach with dizziness??

Does everyone get an upset stomach with thier dizziness. I don't and everytime I see a new doctor, they are really surprised that I don't feel naseous with my dizziness. I'm VERY thankful that I don't, but it makes me wonder if it's something else then??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Upset stomach with dizziness??

Hi....I have BPPV, although not symptomatic at this time. I am sometimes nauseated when I'm symptomatic and definitely on the first day. It depends on what symptoms aside for the vertigo, what activities I'm doing, and generally how bad the attack is. Visual stimualion will cause me to be more nauseated than a postural spin. Some TV programs can cause severe nausea because of the zoom-ins and outs, panning and constant moving of the camera or video as it's being filmed.

I do notice that as I'm aging (have had the disorder for 39+ years), plus I have ulcerative colitis, nausea is something comes and goes more often without a connection to BPPV.

What is it that you've been diagnosed with? I think it's super that you don't have to contend with nausea as well.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 10-15-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Dizzymommy,

I was nausous the first 6 -8 weeks when this all started for me but strangly I had more brainfog and strange overall feeling than any vertigo. I never had anything spinning or moving. I did have a little bit of a rocking feeling, but only occasionally and it went away quickly too. The strange off feeling is what stayed for me.

You know I often compair myself to others on this board and I guess you really can't do that because I really believe everyone is affected differently by this inner ear stuff. Take me and Tesss, I swear we are the only two to describe our vision problems to be exactly the same, but yet I have no problem driving and actually feel better driving where she has a difficult time with it.

I really found that compairing myself to others (and believe me, I know how difficult it is not to) just makes you feel worse. I very rarely ever get sick in my stomach anymore from this but yet still have most of the symptoms still linguring so I think you can be dizzy without the stomach problems. To be honest, the only time my stomach bothers me now is when I get myself all upset over it and I think that is nerves.

Take care....I know how hard it is being a dizzy mommy. I have a little guy myself and wish this would end so that I can enjoy him more. I hope you feel better real soon.

Last edited by gloria2936; 10-16-2005 at 09:23 AM.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
(male)

Katkin HB User

Hi dizzymommy,
Like gloria my symptoms are now more fo a brainfog/weirdness (and disorientation YEACK) as opposed to major room swooping and spinning but even when I had the awful, really strong room swooping round vertigo I didn't feel particularly nauseous. A little sometimes perhaps, but nothing like what I have heard other people felt. I never threw up.

Just to let you know there's someone else like you (dizzy without feeling too sick)

Katkin
Feel better soon! xx

Old 10-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
(female)

swirlygirl HB User

Hi Dizzymommy,
It's so interesting reading about how this vestibular disorder affects everybody differently. I've had what has been diagnosed with BPPV with a "possible Meniere's variant" for 19 months now, and I am nauseated pretty well 24/7. I feel a constant feeling of residual dizziness all the time - just very unsteady on my feet and needing to "touch" things alot for reference. I've tried VRT at various times, but so far nothing has worked - however, I'm determined to keep going at it until something does. For me the nausea has caused a major weight loss and that in itself has caused all kinds of other seemingly unrelated symptoms - numbness in my legs and hands, weakness and whole-body fatigue that makes it difficult to function. I do not usually vomit with the "residual dizziness", but I ocassionally do still have "attacks of spinning vertigo" for extended periods which leaves me down and out and unable to move without vomitig. So the nausea thing is a good thing "not to have", but as others have said, it varies with everyone, and I'm sure that some of your other symptoms more that pay up for the lack of nausea. And most dr.'s I've seen have been surprised at the amount of nausea that I experience, so you are probably actually more within the "normal parameters" - whatever that means! Take care ... good luck...
~Swirlygirl

Old 10-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User

I never got nauseaus with my dizziness either. I think it really depends on how bad it is, and how long it lasts. I wouldn't compare symptoms with other people. Everyone will react differently to this stuff. It's strange, but I think true. Just be glad you don't have to deal with being sick to your stomach as well. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Swirlygirl,

I feel so much for you because I was so nausous the first 6 - 8 weeks and I would spend the first 2 hours throwing up every morning. The weird thing is at that time I didn't really have any dizziness, it was mostly pressure and pain in my head and ears with brainfog really bad. I do remember how terrible that nauseated stuff was and feel so bad you are still dealing with this. Have you tried any meds for it? I hope you get some relief from that symptom. I do know that when I was at my worst with it, believe it or not, if I forced myself to eat, I felt better. I remember one night I was so sick but my husband brought me home a BMT with lots of veggies on it from Subway and I was so determined to eat that sandwhich. When I got half of it in me, I felt so much better. It is just forcing yourself to eat that is hard, but it does help.

By the way, what do they mean by possible Meniere's variant? What symptoms does that mean or how did they come up with that?

I wish I could give you a few of the extra pounds I gained from not being as active as I once was. Keep up with the VRT. I've been doing it alot lately and think it may be helping with the dizzy stuff. What Firechick and Subs and some of the others say about keeping active I think is true and we just need to push ourselves until something kicks in.

Take care,
Gloria

Last edited by gloria2936; 10-16-2005 at 08:58 PM.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Just wanted to say hello Joy. Hope you are doing well. I'm always thinking of you and hoping you beat the dizziness 100%.

Take care,
Gloria

Old 10-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
(female)

swirlygirl HB User

Hi Gloria,
Thanks for the kind words - they have come just in time to lift me up today, which has been particularly difficult one with lots of "brainfog" ... kind of where am I and how did I get here and I want to get out of here ... meaning my own head! Anyway, the 'Meniere's Variant' thing was written in my last consult report that I had from an Otoneurologist, and from what I can understand, he meant that the fact that my actual spinning vertigo can last for such a long period of time (sometimes days), with no relief when I lie down, fits more within the parameters of Meniere's rather than BPPV. One of the reasons that I was diagnosed with BPPV instead of Meniere's in the beginning was because the vertiginous symptoms would go away when I lay down (usually within a few minutes) and the Dix-Hallpike Maneouvre showed classic symptoms of BPPV on my right side. However, I do not have any hearing loss or tinnitus (very, very little), and these usually go along with Meniere's, so that's why he said a "Meniere's Variant", I'm guessing. It's probably because he didn't know what else to say - he really did little to no testing on me - and I got the distinct impression while in his office and from his consult report to my family doctor that he felt I had other "issues" to deal with - meaning anxiety and depression - and that I needed to work on these before he could help me. I felt patronized and like I was definitely a waste of his time - and I actually have not felt like that alot with other health care professionals - so I did not ask for a follow-up with him - just going with a "gut feeling" of not feeling that he was my best option. I actually do have a follow-up in January/06 with the first ENT who diagnosed me with BPPV in September/04. I did feel that she was very thorough and I trusted her, but some things have changed since I saw her over a year ago, so I'm looking forward to her opinion now.

With regard to the nausea, I am taking an anti-nauseant which actually helps quite alot with my "movement" as it works directly on the vestibular system (it's dimenhydrinate, or Gravol here in Canada). While taking low dosages of this I am able to move around more easily and I am able to eat more - without it - well, it's not pretty! I also drink ginger tea and eat crackers (reminds me of being pregnant - only for a lot longer! I pity the poor elephant with morning sickness with their gestation period!). I also drink supplements (like Boost or Ensure) and protein shakes, so I have managed to stop losing weight like I was at the beginning, and I think things are probably on the upswing there.

I can't wait to go to a good restaurant and eat something fabulous and enjoy it like I used to ... and I will again. I do move around as much as I can - pushing from 4 to 5 km a day with a trekking stick for company - slow, but getting steadier!

Right now, at least this week, I have been having so much trouble with processing that I feel it is affecting my work, and I'm on a learning/acceptance curve with that right now. However, I know that this too will pass and with the support from people like you on this board, things will be okay. I only hope that I can give the support to others who need it too - when I write here I sometimes feel pretty "me-ish" - and like I'm always writing negative things. Actually, I've always been a pretty upbeat, positive and outgoing person, so I do expect that to return with time and patience - along with pushing myself every day to keep moving! I can't thank you enough for your understanding ... I'm so grateful ... my best wishes to you ...

~Swirlygirl

Old 10-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
(female)

dizzymommy HB User

Thanks for the responses! I try not to compare my symptoms to others because I know that it is so different for everyone. I think I'm still looking for a "quick fix" where they can just give me medicine and make me feel better, but I don't think that's gonna' happen. I'm trying to just accept this thing and work through it but it's sooo hard and frustrating!! I just miss my old self sooooooo much as I'm sure my husband and friends do too. Sigh...

Swirlygirl, I'm so sorry to hear that the naseau and dizziness are so bad for you and you do sound like a very posotive person, good for you! That's just what people need. I didn't have nasea with my pregnancy either, so maybe I just have a tough tummy and a wimpy steadiness. My husband is the other way around, he can't be a passenger on curvy roads, etc. Again, we're all different.
Like you are going to go to a nice restaraunt and eat a grand meal when you are better, I have big plans for getting better and I guess the best thing is to focus on those things...I'd love to hear what everyones plans are for when they get better... Here's my list:
1. Go to a salon and get a real haircut (my husband cuts mine now) hilights and makeover . (haven't had my hair done since January).
2. Go rollerblading.
3. Hike to the top of the peak that we used to hike up all of the time.
4. Any other outdoor activities that I have soooo missed!! I thought once I had my baby I'd get to do all of those things, but with the dizziness, that's just not gonna' happen for a while!!
Maybe I should make a new post, but do let us all know what your "fun" plans are for when you feel better! Maybe it will give us all a little light to look forward to .

Closed Thread