It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
New case: herpes precedes vestibular neuronitis

Hi All,

This article popped up in the literature this month:

Quote:
Herpes encephalitis preceded by ipsilateral vestibular neuronitis (VN)
Philpot SJ, Archer JS
J Clin Neurosci. 2005 Oct 21

Abstract: A 74-year-old woman developed vertigo and jerk nystagmus to the left with normal cerebral imaging. Three days later she developed fever, altered mental state and left medial temporal lobe hypodensity (swelling), confirmed on lumbar puncture to be due to herpes simplex type 1 encephalitis. We propose that the patient had vestibular neuronitis caused by HSV-1 that progressed to ipsilateral temporal lobe encephalitis.

Conclusion:Vestibular neuronitis is thought to be a viral infection of the vestibular nerve, but usually the causative organism is unknown. Some studies have demonstrated the presence of HSV-1 DNA in neurons of the vestibular ganglion,1–6 and HSV-1 latency associated transcripts, which are known to be latency specific, have also been detected in post mortem specimens using PCR technique. However, there have been no confirmed cases of HSV-1 vestibular neuronitis in living patients.

A post mortem study of 5 patients using HSV-1 PCR detected DNA in the vestibular ganglion and vestibular nuclei of two patients. The patients with vestibular nerve involvement also had vestibular ganglion involvement, suggesting that viral particles may be able to access the brainstem via the vestibular nerve. HSV-1 is a common cause of encephalitis (brain swelling), presenting in approximately two-thirds of cases in conjunction with either a primary herpes virus infection or a reactivation of the virus. In these cases, infection of the central nervous system is thought to develop by neurotropic spread of the virus from the periphery via the trigeminal nerve or the olfactory tract. The vestibular nerve may be an alternative route by which HSV-1 particles gain entry into the central nervous system (CNS).

This patient developed left vestibular neuronitis, and subsequently progressed to left temporal lobe HSV-1 encephalitis, suggesting that the vestibular nerve may be a portal of entry into the CNS for HSV-1. In addition this case provides evidence that vestibular neuronitis may result from HSV-1 infection.
Interesing stuff here. It shows strong evidence for herpes causing VN. Also interesting (for me anyway) is the fever and altered mental state both of which I experienced very strongly in the first few weeks of the attack. I wonder how many of us have had this happen?

Best...Scott

Last edited by studyin; 10-30-2005 at 11:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: New case: herpes precedes vestibular neuronitis

Excellent!

Where are/is the medical crowd--who--a few short years ago---where saying(and many still do)---hey---learn to live with it---its just an "ear" & "balance" problem---be gone in---3/4 weeks---six at the outside....makes u wonder---in what universe---they reside---on second thought...don't think I care...as long their not in mine...

Tks Scott....

An "O" by the way--for U.S. ...Veda--has presented an argument(s)..to Soc Security bureaucrats...on Vestibular Injuries...to get them up to speed on--the personal devastation..they can cause....vis-a-vis eligibility for benefits/medical help...

Last edited by Subs30; 10-31-2005 at 04:40 AM.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

jbbrocky HB User
Re: New case: herpes precedes vestibular neuronitis

hey Scott- nice article, but in your own nice very clear words that you are so good at, could you please summarize what this means for us? anything we can do preventive wise?

thanks,

JB

Old 10-31-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi JB,

Sorry, I should have put it into clearer English .

In a nutshell, in the past, there has been evidence that VN or even labyrinthitis may be caused by the herpes virus in some cases. They know this from having extracted vestibular tissue (and analysed it) from people who had died and were known to have suffered from what appeared to be VN.

This case is the first to show evidence of the herpes virus (in spinal fluid) in a living person shortly after a vestibular injury. It appears the virus may have gained entry to a part of the brain via the vestibular nerve. The result was swelling of a small area of the brain and damage to the vestibular nerve - symptoms included a fever, an "altered" mental state, and vertigo. I can relate to what they say here and wonder if an antiviral drug for herpes would have or could be effective for someone getting hit with this stuff. Problem is I haven't come across any evidence anywhere showing a good result from using an antiviral for this junk. Maybe that's because by the time someone thinks about using such a drug, it's already too late.

Hope that makes sense...Scott

Old 10-31-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

jbbrocky HB User

that is very interesting stuff Scott, thanks for the summary. would be interesting to see some follow up info on this.

hope your still feeling better

jb

Old 10-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Greetings,

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the "chicken pox" a strain of the herpes virus? If so, it might explain the start of my ear problems, as I contracted chicken pox at the age of 22.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 10-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor
.... isn't the "chicken pox" a strain of the herpes virus?
Hi Brenden,

Yup it sure is, however I've never come across any link between chicken pox and vestibular problems:

Chickenpox is a common disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV), which is part of the herpesvirus family. Although many people associate the word herpes with genital herpes, the herpes virus family is made up of nearly 100 kinds of viruses, eight of which cause disease in humans. Examples of different herpes viruses are herpes simplex virus (which causes cold sores and genital herpes infections), Epstein-Barr virus (which causes infectious mononucleosis), and varicella-zoster virus (which causes chickenpox and shingles). Varicella-zoster virus spreads in the air through coughs or sneezes or through contact with fluid from inside the chickenpox blisters.

Best...Scott

Old 11-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Cool Re: New case: herpes precedes vestibular neuronitis

Hi Scott and Board,

Hoping this finds everyone well. My head symptoms have been really trying to get my attention for the last few months, and I feel almost insane because of them. However, I am not to crazy (yet) to post.

Scott, have you posted on the Herpes Board to inquire whether any other herpes sufferers' deal with the same type(s) of head symptoms? Just curious if you've touched base on that forum for an informal poll.

If you have the time, I'll be dropping you a short note tomorrow, so look for it.

Well wishes!

Closed Thread