It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
(male)

stcarlsen HB User
Dizziness getting worse? after 2 years? help

Has anyone had progressively worsening dizziness? Mine seems to get a bit worse every couple of months, but it does taper back. its kind of like one step forward two steps back. i have had this for almost two years, but just recently developed a worse motion sickness with nausea, that i never had before at all. I have the diagnosis of anxiety or MAV or both. any help would be great. Just a side thought. this all started for me a couple months after i moved into my house, could there be something in the house that is causing it, and since i am still here, it keeps getting worse? any thoughts? thanks.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
(male)

coryb HB User
Re: Dizziness getting worse? after 2 years? help

A quick answer to your question, yes I have had this kind of dizziness that gets has gotten progressively worse. What kind of doctors have you seen and what have they had you try to help the problem?

In regards to the house thing, there are environmental factors that can affect migraines. I think many environmental things that can make you feel uncomfortable (such as temperature or humidity) for extended periods of time could affect migraine. But for something more specific, I think it would be more of an allergy type of thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2005, 04:03 AM   #3
(female)

DizzyLady HB User

Have you any gas appliances in your house? Might be worth getting these checked just to make sure that you don`t have a carbon monoxide leak.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
(male)

stcarlsen HB User

coryb, i have seen all the docs possible. 2 neurologists, 2 ENTs, a neuro- otologist, psychiatrist, etc. every test including ENG, EEG, MRI, etc have been normal., my dizziness has seemed to have gotten worse since the weather changed, but it is so hard to tell anymore. I have been suspected of having MAV, but i never get headaches, just constantly dizzy, and get motion sick easy, even just walking. i have tried Depakote and amitriptyline, both helped some, but didn't last, so i quit them. also, they only helped a bit, but i still had daily dizziness. what have you tried, and whats your diagnosis? i am considering an SSRI soon, because i am running out of options, and i haven't tried one yet.

dizzylady-thanks for the idea on the CO, i will check that along with other things. thanks.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
(male)

coryb HB User

All of that is similar to what I've had. I've seen 6 neurotologists, a neurologist, 2 rheumatologists. I've had MRI's, CT scans, EEG, MRA, ENG's, and all were normal (the ENG's did finally start showing things in the last year or so though). From reading about MAV on the net, I've found that headache is usual, but not required. At least 1/3 of those with MAV don't have headaches, and I didn't either. But then I read the "Heal Your Headache" book and found out that maybe some of the things I had COULD be headaches, such as pressury feelings, muscle tingling in the back of my head, etc. I was on the ampitriptyline too, and it didn't seem to help at all. But when I tried changing my diet according to the migraine diet thing, I got significantly better. My neurologist wanted to try Keppra instead of the ampitriptyline and everything rebounded big time. So it would seem it AND the diet were working together. I am going to see the neurologist Tuesday and will tell her I've been feeling awful since I switched. The key in treating migraines is to find the drug that works best for you.

It was the 6th neurotologist I saw that brought up the migraine thing. The neurologist never mentioned it, even though they are supposed to specialize in that. It wasn't until I read that headache book that I realized that the neurotologist was probably right.

Cory

Old 11-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
(male)

stcarlsen HB User

thanks for the reply, how would you describe your dizziness, and frequency and also how long have you had it. I have had mine for almost 2 years, it has slowly seemed to have gotten worse. i am dizzy every day, but it changes in severity and even in how the dizziness feels. some days i feel really of balance in my feet like sea legs, but other days i feel really dizzy in the head and motion sick, other days i just feel really foggy headed. so it is always changing, but recently it has changed to real motion sick with nausea, so i am hoping this "phase" will pass. I just have a hard time seeing that it could be migraine because it is always there right when i get up, and it seems to be affected by the movements i make. also what happened with your ENG's? i only had one and it was normal, but that was a year ago, and i feel much worse now. thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
(male)

coryb HB User

This really sounds like migraine to me. Like you, I am dizzy everyday, just bad some days and worse others. My symptoms change just like yours do. Some days I will just be very dizzy and have a bad imbalance, other days I will feel more lateral vertigo movement (I don't get the severe spinning that is frequent in other types of inner ear disorders). Other days I would be feeling very different, but I can't really describe the difference in words. And I would have lots of cognitive issues. On a worse day, I can't think, concentrate, follow what people are saying, or even follow a song I am listening to that I already know. I have had TONS of trouble with the doctors because everytime I would go in and describe it differently. I think they would start thinking I was just making up something new each time because I didn't get anywhere with them on the previous visit. I also have trouble with head movements and position. Sometimes a head movement would cause a brief burst of dizziness/vertigo. And when the vertigo is occurring, it tends to occur in pulses; not necessarily occurring rhythmically with my heartbeat, but just occuring for sudden brief moments (however, recently I have started to get vertigo that seems to be more rhythmic also). It was these pulses of vertigo as I described it that lead the neurotologist in Houston to conclude it was of migraine in origin. I confirmed this as a distringuishing thing about MAV from some of the things I read about the disorder online.

And there can be a direct relationship between migraine and the inner ear because migraine causes changes in blood flow in your head, and possibly to your inner ear structures. I have had tinnitus in my ears of several different varieties. All of these things I have talked about, except the pulsating vertigo, are discussed in the "Heal Your Headache" book.

The ENG was done by a local doctor here in San Antonio, whom I don't think is on the right track with what is going on. He said that the test showed my left ear was hyperactive, but that it was due to lack of compensation from a totally unrelated inner ear problem (my medical history is complicated!). But the physical therapist in his office told me that the hyperactivity could also result from an inner ear problem (which again can be caused by migraines). I've had many many ENGs over the last 5 years, almost all of them came back normal. The doctor also told me from some other balance tests that my VOR response in my eyes wasn't functioning correctly, but this too is complicated by my medical history. I think they just attributed this also to a lack of compensation to my previous problem. I know for sure that his assessment is not correct.

Cory

Old 11-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
(male)

stcarlsen HB User

thanks for all your help, that really sounds familiar. I will keep an eye out for your posts to see if you find any relief. my dad used to have migraines alot when he was my age, but kind of grew out of them, but still gets them occassionally, and my grandma says she has them daily, so it would not be unusual for me to have them, but i just wish docs knew more about this, because i have been on a wild goose chase for 2 years. thanks for your help, and good luck.

Closed Thread