It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lookinforanswer HB User
Lightbulb Pulsating or throbbing in ear that is driving me nuts.....

Hi,

I have been getting this for a while but today is really bothering me, it won't stop.

My ear will like throb or pulsate for about 20 seconds and then go away for a couple of minutes and it will do this all day long, then it just goes away.

I get this happening to me probably once a month.

It almost feels like a heart beat in my own ear.

I don't understand what this could be.

Thanks,

Last edited by lookinforanswer; 12-03-2005 at 09:16 PM.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Pulsating or throbbing in ear that is driving me nuts.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforanswer
Hi,

I have been getting this for a while but today is really bothering me, it won't stop.

My ear will like throb or pulsate for about 20 seconds and then go away for a couple of minutes and it will do this all day long, then it just goes away.

I get this happening to me probably once a month.

It almost feels like a heart beat in my own ear.

I don't understand what this could be.

Thanks,

Hope
Hi Hope

Could be a number of things...but likely that it is:

Tinnitus

...From the Northwestern Univ web site(see info archive(sticky)above:

..."Tinnitus (pronounced "tin-it-tus") is an abnormal noise in the ear. Tinnitus is common -- nearly 36 million Americans have constant tinnitus and more than half of the normal population has intermittent tinnitus. About six percent of the general population has what they consider to be "severe" tinnitus. In a large study of more than 2000 adults aged 50 and above, 30.3% reported having experienced tinnitus, with 48% reporting symptoms in both ears. Tinnitus had been present for at least 6 years in 50% of cases, and most (55%) reported a gradual onset. Tinnitus was described as mildly to extremely annoying by 67%.(Sindhusake et al. 2003)

Tinnitus can come and go, or be continuous. It can sound like a low roar, or a high pitched ring. Tinnitus may be in both ears or just in one ear. Seven million Americans are so severely affected that they cannot lead normal lives."....

..."Pulsatile tinnitus: people hear something resembling their heartbeat in their ear.".....

...."The cause usually involves vascular, tumor or muscular causes. A blood vessel may be close to the eardrum, a vascular tumor such as a "glomus" may fill the middle ear, or a vein similar to a varicose vein may make enough noise to be heard. Other possibilities include dehiscence of the jugular bulb, and an aberrantly located carotid artery. An enlarged jugular bulb on the involved side is common in persons with venous type pulsitile tinintus."....

Northwestern Univ web site--page on server:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus.htm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
(male)

TPaPa85 HB User
Re: Pulsating or throbbing in ear that is driving me nuts.....

Hey Subs... Can this result from a vestibular injury as well. Ive been dealing with mine for a while now. When everything is quite and i put my right ear aginst my pillow, I can hear something resembling a heartbeat in my ear. Now my weakness is in my left ear but could that be a result from the inner ear injury??? It doesnt really bother me unless I put my ear against my pillow, and thats really the only time I can hear it, but Im just wondering anyway??

Old 11-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Pulsating or throbbing in ear that is driving me nuts.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaPa85
Hey Subs... Can this result from a vestibular injury as well. Ive been dealing with mine for a while now. When everything is quite and i put my right ear aginst my pillow, I can hear something resembling a heartbeat in my ear. Now my weakness is in my left ear but could that be a result from the inner ear injury??? It doesnt really bother me unless I put my ear against my pillow, and thats really the only time I can hear it, but Im just wondering anyway??
Hi

..."Can this result from a vestibular injury as well"...

Absolutely!!

...."weakness is in my left ear but could that be a result from the inner ear injury??? "...

Sure...for me...it shifted back and forth between ears...(my prob is right ear)...had it before...the vestibular injury occured...just changed to "Pulsatile tinnitus"...with heartbeat....from ringing...then had both...after reaching 100% compensation(12/13/14 months after injury)...went back to ringing tinnitus....

Lot of things can cause it...(read the posted Northwestern Univ web page)...and one of them is a vestibular injury...there are others.....

Last edited by Subs30; 11-25-2005 at 05:09 PM.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
(male)

dizzyguy HB User
Re: Pulsating or throbbing in ear that is driving me nuts.....

I have this as well and the heart beat thingy too....hard to sleep

Closed Thread