It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
(male)

dazed_actor HB User
Dazed after rapid head-shaking-- can anyone tell me anything?

I found this board through google, and you all seem so informed and experienced, I hope you can help me.

I've just been told I have a problem with my inner ear that should clear up in 2-3 weeks. I go to a theatre school, and I was doing an exercise where I shook my head rapidly up and down for about 20 seconds. After, I felt dazed (not dizzy exactly), it took a lot of effort to focus my eyes, and I got fatigued easily. This was about 5 days ago now, and the symptoms have all gotten somewhat better, but I'm still fatigued, my thinking feels fuzzy, sort of like I just walked out of a movie theatre, and my eyes sort of skirt around things. If it's really my inner ear, why isn't my balance affected? And why should my thinking feel fuzzy?

I don't know what the etiquette is here for asking for straight-up daignoses. I'm just looking for anyone who thinks they know anything about what's happening to me. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Re: Dazed after rapid head-shaking-- can anyone tell me anything?

Wow....if I was normal and shook my head for half that time, it wouldn't be good . What was the point of that exercise for an actor? To play the part of a dizzy person You can find lots of real people to do that on this board (lol) without practicing. I definitely wouldn't try that again.

Subs on this board may have an explanation for this and may reply, but my thought is shaking your head rapidly as you stated I would think would be like an injury like wiplash. It could have done something perhaps to the fluid in your ear or who knows but just maybe knock crystals in your ear loose (BPPV).

It is good your showing improvement. Was it your instructor who told you it would go away or a doctor? If it continues and you didn't see a doctor, I would go see one.

Hope you recover quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
(male)

dazed_actor HB User
Re: Dazed after rapid head-shaking-- can anyone tell me anything?

Thanks . . .

The exercise wasn't really about shaking your head, just "letting go," and I ended up shaking my head. (Lots of "letting go" and similar-sounding stuff at theatre school )

No muscular or neck pain at all, so I hope whiplash isn't a factor.

Thanks for replying.

Closed Thread