It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

elpirata HB User
effect of alcohol on the inner ear

because I havent been feeling good, I havent had a drink in months, but it occurs to me that my symptoms are exactly the same as when you have been drinking at lunchtime and then come out into the sunshine.

1) feel a little spacy
2) feel a little disconnected
3) balance is impaired

I am not an expert on what exactly alcohol does to the inner ear but it would seem a clue to help with diagnosis.

does this make it more likely that it is a mild labyrinthitus and less likely it is a BPPV as was my intial diagnosis.

going to see a neurotologist tomorrow at my own expenses (wallet will take a big hit I think) so hopefully get it from the horses mouth

what do you think about the alcohol?

regards

elpirata

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: effect of alcohol on the inner ear

HI Elpirata

I understand what you are getting at, however I don't think you can distinguish between labs and BPPV based on that - as the brain has to go through the same compensation process for labs or BPPV.
From previous posts on the board I think the symptoms of both are fairly similar.

I think the Neuro-oto will definately be able to help with this. Why did you think you have bppv? Let us know what the Doc says.

Best wishes
Tesss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
(male)

elpirata HB User

hey tesss

thanks for posting.

I thought I had BPPV because I saw an ENT guy who said that based on his 20 years experience thats what i had.

he did MRI to rule out tumour and epley manoevre a few days later and it didnt work, I have been doing brandt-daroff exercises for a week or so 3 times a day and they have made no difference.

I found out later that standard test for BPPV is dix-hallspike manoevre (spelling prob not correct) but he didnt do that, but he did do an audiogram which seems irrelevant to me (I may be wrong)

anyhow from what I have read symptoms seem more in line with mild labs than BPPV i.e not so dependant on head position as you might expect, just sort of constant.

this neurotologist is supposed to be the man (with an expensive sounding harley street address, so we will see what he says.

what are your symptoms tesss ?

regards

elpirata

Last edited by elpirata; 02-12-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Elpirata
I imagine you have been doing quite a lot of reading on this, and I think that you will probably have a good idea for what is wrong with you. When reading the articles things tend to jump out that fit with how you are feeling.
BPPV is more dependant on how you turn your head.

My symptoms were quite straightforward in terms of diagnosis. I have labs. it started with vertigo which was followed by horrendous constant dizzyness for a long time. I was off work for 3 months and it took me a long time to get back to some semblance of normal life. Now, I experience just mild symptoms which I can largely ignore - such as some dizzyness, off balance, a bit disconnected, but its nothing compared to how bad it was for me this time last year. I still have trouble driving but I am largely better.

So how did it start for you, did it come on gradually or start suddenly? Have you been dealing with this a long time? Are you able to work or does it disrupt your life?
hope you have had a good day

Best wishes
Tesss

Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
(male)

elpirata HB User

tesss,

thanks for reply, mine started in may 2002, just woke up with buzzing in head and poor balance, this continued for 3 weeks then completely went away for 10 days then came back in 3 weeks on/ 10 days off cycles for a while.
then a long period of months with v.low grade symptoms and no improvement, then it just went away for 2 whole years. then 4 weeks ago came back as constant low grade symptoms.
buzzing in head was only the first time (any idea what causes buzzing?).

can pretty much carry on as normal except that I have a job that requires precision so I struggle with that but also just get away with it all the time, if it wasnt for the job I would just ignore it and wait for it to go.

I find driving no problem, cant even tell in car but as soon as I get out of car and walk it is immediately noticeable.

good luck to you

regards

elpirata

Last edited by elpirata; 02-12-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Hi!

Agree with Tess that you cant distinguish labs/bppv from how you feel with alcohol...

But yes bppv is generally positional and labs constant...But bppv can cause inner ear damage which gives the same symptoms as uncompensated labs.

On a sidenote, drinking alcohol with an inner ear prob can cause probs as alcohol affects the fluid within the inner ear in NORMAL people - so can have nasty effects on inner ear sufferers. I certainly find it does.

CL xx

Closed Thread