It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
(male)

mcdonaldtim HB User
Meniere's symptoms after Myringotomy

I could not find any post that addressed this problem, so please forgive me if this was already asked. About six weeks ago, I had a myringotomy performed on my right ear. As soon as the doctor lanced the eardrum, I felt an increase in pressure in my left ear. I never have had a problem with my left ear, great hearing. Soon after leaving the office, the pressure increase throughout the day (Friday), until Monday morning when the pressure started to cause a big discomfort and loud ringing started. I went back to the doctor that week, and he said the left ear looked okay, and he did not want to do a myringotomy on that ear. Four weeks later, I had another hearing test. This time my left ear showed a loss in the lower range. My doctor then said that I might have Meniere’s disease.

So the question is, has this happened to anyone else? My doctor does not think this is odd, but it seems odd to walk into a doctor’s office with a healthy left ear, then walk out with Meniere’s Disease in that ear after having a Myringotomy on the right ear. Can someone shine more light on this? Does someone know of a doctor in the Northwest that I could see about this? Could this be a virus?

Thanks,

Tim

Old 02-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Re: Meniere's symptoms after Myringotomy

Yes, this happened to me except, I have perfect hearing.

Did you have a tube put in your ear? What was the reason for the myringotomy?

I had a severe ear infection with a buldging eardrum (right ear) back on January 2, 2005. It was surgically drained but the ENT did not put a tube in it. It healed within a week, but I kept having discomfort in my left ear, but kept being told that there was no problem. 2 1/2 weeks after the initial myringotomy is when all heck broke loose. I woke up with severe pressure in my head and ears, nausous and severe headache. Within weeks, I developed a strange off feeling (dizziness) tinnitus, vision problems and so many other symptoms. I am over a year into this now and even though things have gotten better, I never got a diagnosis. I still suffer from funky ear feeling, pressure in my head and ears with headache and tinnitus.

I've had alot of test done including an MRI, 2 CT Scans, 3 audiograms, EEOC (to measure fluid in the ear), bloodwork and the rotary chair test. All normal and meniere's was ruled out for me.

I did have a virus a month before the ear infection as well as an allergic reaction to an antibiotic.

I have so many thoughts as what caused all this that I confuse myself sometimes, but your the first to mention the myringotomy as my husband believes that this is what caused it for me.

I wonder if the virus or ear infection caused inner ear damage. Strange how it was your right ear too and then the left bothered you as did mine. I do have symptoms in both ears.

I have found help after about 8 months into this with a neurotogist. They seem to know much more than ENT's. Just a suggestion if your seeing an ENT. Do you have other symptoms?

Take care - Gloria

Last edited by gloria2936; 02-13-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
(male)

mcdonaldtim HB User

Hello, thank you for getting back to me. I don't have any spinning yet, I have headaches, and my right ear is starting to get a full feeling. I did have a tube installed in my right ear. This was after almost 30 years of always having an ear problem during and after a cold or flu. The reason that I now lean towards a virus is the quick onset of pressure (inflammation?); I had just gotton over a cold, and I just saw on TV that a nose spray that I just been provided by the Doctor has a potential side affect of viral infection. I plan on asking the doctor for diuretic, which is standard for Meniere's. If nothing else, this should help reduce the fluid build-up in my ear. I am also going to get forwarded to a neurotogist for their view of the problem.

How did the neurotogist help you?

Tim

Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Tim, I never had any spinning or rotational type vertigo with my ear problem. I never had any ear problems either until this ear infection and myringotomy. I did come down with a terrible sore throat within a week of the ear infection/surgery so there is a possibility I had another virus that attacked my inner ear.

In my research, I have found that meniere's disease is actually quite rare and that most inner ear disorders/illnesses mimic meniere's disease and it is usually incorrectly diagnosed. It is quite strange however, that you've had ear problems for 30 years. It could be that you had some initial inner ear damage from a virus back then and new colds keep effecting your ears.

You can have pressure with both labyrinthitis and Vestibular Neurosis. Hearing loss is usually associated with labyrinthitis. (Both can be caused by a virus.) There is some great research on this located at the top of the posts in the sticky section.

There are alot of side effects associated with diuretics so be careful. Can your doctor see fluid in your ear? Have you had the pressure test or the EEOC to test the fluid level in your inner ear? This would let you know if you had a problem with the fluid. I do not have a problem with my fluid and meniere's was definitely ruled out for me; however, I still have pressure feeling in my ears and head. It has gotten much better over the course of the year that I've been dealing with this. My recommendation is to check out these tests to be certain before you take a diurectic. You can do a search on diurectic to learn more about them too.

I saw 2 GP's, 2 ENT (who knew nothing about the inner ear including the one who did my myringotomy) and a neurologist. They all thought I was nuts as they saw nothing wrong with my ears. When I found this website, I learned about the neurotogist and found a good one.

He ran some non-evasive tests to rule things out and has treated me with a mild doseage of klonepin (slows the vestibular system slightly) and gave me some vestibular rehibilitation exercises (VRT) to help compensate for the mild dizziness and vision problems I encountered from this. My balance is perfect and I never had any problems with it at all during all of this. I started seeing him in my 8th month of the ear problem and by month 12 my dizziness is pretty much gone and my vision has improved greatly. My headaches and pressure are getting better. He was the only person willing to try and help me.

Hope my information helped.

Best - Gloria

Last edited by gloria2936; 02-13-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
(female)

Jill43 HB User

Hi Tim,

I just wanted to add that I too had a tube put in my right ear and that's when the pressure and dizziness started for me too, but all the pressure is in the right ear. I have no problems with the left one. I just wonder if opening the eardrum causes infection to travel deeper into the ear?

Take Care,
Jill

PS Hi Gloria - Sounds like you are feeling a little better. I'm glad to hear that!

Old 02-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Jill,

Wow....I wasn't aware you had a tube in your right ear. Makes me think it could have been from that all along (just as my husband keep saying to me).

Doing the surgery was supposed to get the infection out of my middle ear faster so that is confusing, but I wonder about this as I don't think the ENT knew too much. Weird that I have symptoms in both ears though.

I'm getting there but still struggling. Dizziness has gotten better but I did have an episode over the weekend at a car show at the Convention Center in Pittsburgh. Still have terrible ear symptoms everyday. Jill, if I could get rid of this noise, I think I could move forward a little.

It was nice hearing from you. Happy Valentines Day. - Gloria

Last edited by gloria2936; 02-14-2006 at 07:16 AM.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
(female)

Jill43 HB User

Gloria,

Happy Valentines Day to you too. Yes, I did have a tube put in about three months after the flight I took. My ear felt plugged after the flight but after the ENT put the tube in that's when the pressure got much worse. The dizziness and ear noise started about a week or so after the tube.

I have been thru heck with this and the story is so long it would take me forever to type it all out. I wish I would have just left my ear alone and it probably would have gotten better but it's too late to worry about that now.

I know the ear noise is terrible. It used to drive me crazy but I hardly have it anymore but I do still get the pressure, dizziness and funky ear feeling (it just doesn't feel right) I hope you get relief from that tinnitus real soon.

Take care,
Jill

Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Jill,

Did they take the tube back out or did it fall out yet? Did they say your hole completely closed?

It is weird how all of our symptoms go at different times. I thought that once the dizziness went I'd feel great but it still stinks to have the pressure, headaches, funky ear feeling, tinnitus, blah, blah, blah. All I can hope for is it to eventually go.

My ENT drained the fluid as it was buldging my eardrum and he didn't want it to rupture on its own as well as I was so nausous. He did not put a tube in it as he said there would be no need and it would only cause more discomfort. I wonder if he meant pressure by that statement.

I still think it is good your tinnitus got better as that shows improvement. Try and stay strong. I'm thinking of you. - Gloria

Old 02-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #9
(female)

Jill43 HB User

Gloria,

After the tube was put in I called the ENT several times to tell him it felt worse. The nurse would call me back and say what I was feeling was normal. I didn't believe that so I went to a different ENT who removed the tube. Well, the hole never healed so I had surgury to repair the hole called tympanoplasy.

That is all healed now but during all of this is when my thyroid swelled up and my TSH levels went really crazy. First over active and then very under active. So I've had so many weird things happen that I really don't know what caused it? I wonder if it was the flight, the tube, a virus or the thyroid, not a clue and the Drs. are clueless too.

My sister keeps telling me I just have to concentrate on getting better and not what caused it but that's hard to do because I just wish I could go back in time and not allow the ENT to put that tube in.

You stay strong too and I know we will beat this thing someday.
Jill

Old 02-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

You sound like me. I wonder if it was the allergic reaction, the virus, the ear infection, the myringotomy, another virus I may have caught within the week of the ear infection, etc. I drive myself nuts and my husband says the same things that your sister does.

I don't like the fact that they had to close it up. A friend of mine was getting some mild pressure in his ear and he found out he had a hole in his eardrum. They put the patch on it to close it but it never helped him. He says the pressure is annoying but not like we are experiencing. Makes me suspect the myringotomy as the cause now.

I often wish I could go back in time too to make different decision that I've made along the way thinking that just maybe I could prevent this, but I guess we can't. What's done is done.

You've really had alot done to that ear of yours. It has to be an injury causing this.

Feeling any better in regards to your thyroid? Have you noticed any health improvements since your levels been regulated for a while?

Take care....we are in this together. - Gloria

Last edited by gloria2936; 02-14-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Closed Thread