It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
(female)

kodie HB User
Alcohol and Meniere's disease

What is the connection between alcohol and menieres disease? Ive looked it up and all it says is avoid alcohol. But why? Is it just that it is dehydrating or are there other reasons? since I have been suffering from menieres like symptoms, drinking has become very differnet and I get very sick from it- Its not just a hangover anymore, its a sea sick feeling for a few days, and I sometimes can't keep food or water down the day after.
has anyone else experieced this?
Thanks!

Old 03-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Alcohol and Meniere's disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodie
What is the connection between alcohol and menieres disease? Ive looked it up and all it says is avoid alcohol. But why? Is it just that it is dehydrating or are there other reasons? since I have been suffering from menieres like symptoms, drinking has become very differnet and I get very sick from it- Its not just a hangover anymore, its a sea sick feeling for a few days, and I sometimes can't keep food or water down the day after.
has anyone else experieced this?
Thanks!
Hi Kodie

Noticed this down the board---

Don't have menieres---seem to recall some who post here---do

Have u have not been to the Northwestern Univ web site----at:

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/menieres/menieres.html[/url]

If u go to the Northwestern Univ web server---preapproved by Mod1 contained in the "sticky" Info Archive post and to their web page on Ménière's Disease---(above URL)---scroll down to:

..."How does what I eat affect my dizziness?

Your inner ear fluid is influenced by certain substances in your blood and other body fluids. For instance, when you eat foods that are high in salt or sugar, your blood level concentration of salt or sugar increases, and this, in turn, will affect the concentration of substances in your inner ear.

People with certain balance disorders must control the amount of salt and sugar that is added to food. You must also become aware of the hidden salts and sugars that foods contain. Limiting or eliminating your use of caffeine and alcohol will also help to reduce symptoms of dizziness and ringing in the ears.....".......etc.....

While the quoted area above does not directly say "why"---other portions of their "Ménière's" web page does cover/explain it......and

If Adam---swings by---I'm sure he will add to it....

Good Luck!

Last edited by Subs30; 03-07-2006 at 08:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
(female)

kodie HB User
Re: Alcohol and Meniere's disease

Hi Subs30

Thank you so much for that link, it and it has a lot of useful information.

Much appreciated,

Kodie

Closed Thread