It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
(male)

swraper HB User
How long does this last???

I have been dizzy almost every day now for 18 days. I wake up dizzy and stay dizzy most of the day. If I am lying down or sitting still I seem to be OK. I get up and I fell dizzy. I went to ENT and had hearing tests done, all came back normal. Dr. said I had positional vertigo. I have been doing BRANDT-DAROFF EXERCISES off and on. One day I felt almost 100 % normal so I ran a mile. The next day I was mildly dizzy again. It appears worst if I look down.
I have had pressure headaches on left front and right front of my head off and on. My right eye has been a lttle fuzzy (better now though) and my right ear has had some pressure. I have began to keep a diary each day on how I feel each day. What is really aggravating is that I feel better some days and then its worst other days. How long (on average) does it take to get over this ????

Old 05-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: How long does this last???

I also suffer from positional vertigo. I never know when it's going to "strike". I can be fine for a year, and then bam, out of nowhere, I'm dizzy. I remember last time I had it, it happened during the night, when I turned over. Everything started to spin. Not to discourage you, but I was dizzy for almost a month. Get out of bed slowly, put your feet on the ground. And you know not to make any sudden head movements. Don't bend down head first. I wish there was some medication for vertigo, but there really isn't. My ENT tells me to take anti-nausea med. if I need to. Feel better. I know how it feels !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Swarper and Arlmon
If you know which ear is affected, which sometimes can only be determined by a professional like an ENT while he/she does some positional maneuvers and watches how your eyes respond. Once you know which side the positional vertigo stems from you can also try to do the Modified Epeley Maneuver which is very clearly described on the first stick thread on this board...there is even a video which shows how it is done. The cause of this vertigo is some calcium crystals have become loose and are rolling around in your inner ear canals giving your brain the wrong information regarding what position you are in. ONce you get those crystals back you will heal much faster. I had BPPV for a few months before I realized what was happening and once I did the MEP at home once it was gone for good. I did have to deal with lots of residual problems which have taken a long time to over come as the crystals did some damage while they were rolling around in there.
The only thing with the MEP is it is side specific and you need to know which side the rocks are loose in.
hope this helps
FC

Old 05-10-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
(male)

swraper HB User

Thanks arlmon18 and firechick.

arlmon18, did you any exercises that helped? Do you know what caused yours, ear infection, head trauma, unknown? Did you just wake up one morning and all things were cleared up? I have been dizzy about 24 days now.

firechick, I have began trying the Modified Epeley Maneuver on myself this morning. However, I do not know which ear it is (I am guessing my right ear, so I did the Maneuver for this ear). According to the website, it might take 30 reps of this Maneuver before it is cleared up.

Closed Thread