It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #1

elvis77 HB User
Ears plugged & lightheaded

Hey there, around 2 months ago I started to get lightheaded, it came and went for 5 days and then I woke up and 2 months later it hasn't gone away. When I went to the doctor they thought it was plugged sinuses, I've done a whole bunch of blood tests that came back perfect. My doctor says that he can see pressure issues behind my ears but the ENT said everything looks fine. I have a CAT scan on Friday and we'll see what that shows but I'm sure it's something in my ears, they both are driving me crazy, they feel like they are plugged and when I yawn they crunch all the time. My ENT gave me the option to get tubes in and I decided to give it a try. Once I got them in I got a crazy headache and burning in my ears and down my throat. It's been 4 days since the tubes have been in and no difference, actually the last 2 days my ears have been bugging me more then before. If I plug me nose and blow(lightly) I can hear air coming out of the right ear tube but I think either the left one is blocked or fallen out.

Anyone out there have the same symptoms I have? I'm not dizzy it's lightheaded, everythings kind of a blur or foggy. Oh and when I make a yawning motion I can always feel fliud running down my throat.

Thanks to those who reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
(female)

Mac2 HB User
Re: Ears plugged & lightheaded

Hi Elvis 77,

Did you suffer any kind of virus i.e. cold or flu before you felt this lightheadedness?

I had quite a bad virus in Nov 04 and a couple of weeks after that I started feeling lightheaded, not dizzy. The doctor just gave me stemetil which I took for a couple of weeks until it settled down a bit but I still suffered lightheadedness,with no other symptoms for 5 months in total until I caught another virus and the dizziness, off balance, ear problems and anxiety kicked in big time. I hope this does not happen for you but looking back it was obviously all coming from my ears.

You are lucky that you are getting this CAT scan so quickly and this will put your mind at rest as to it being anything other than your ears, but bear in mind that sometimes these scans do not pick up any abnormalities in the ears as this type of thing is hard to detect.

I hope everything goes ok for you.

Mac2

Last edited by Mac2; 05-22-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #3

elvis77 HB User

I don't remember having a cold or virus but I could have, I have 4 boys. Did you go and see a ENT or get a CAT scan done. I still try to do everything that I usually do, work, play with the kids, I even play softball still. Has this gone away for you yet?

Old 05-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
(female)

Tiff22 HB User

Hi,

I have very similar symptoms. I have had lightheadedness (not vertigo) for over 6 months now, my ears feel very clogged and full of pressure. Sometimes my whole head feels like it is going to explode from the pressure. Every time i yawn, chew food, or sometimes even move my head i feel like my ear is crackling. I also have days where there is a little bit of fluid in my ear. My lightheadedness was on and off for about a month before it became a constant everday thing (24/7). I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis by 2 differnt doctors, and i am going to see a 3rd next month. Things are very foggy sometimes and my vision seems blurred, but it really is not.

You will find a lot of people on this board with very similar symptoms, they are good to talk to! Hope you start to feel better.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #5

elvis77 HB User

Thanks Tiff, what type of doctors are you seeing?

Old 05-22-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
(female)

selfadvocate HB User

Tiff22,

When I read your info, it is a lot like mine! I'm on my 4th month (which seems long enough) of ear issues. Mine starting with crackling, like wax paper in my outer ear. Then when onto popping (in my ear) not my joint. I currently experience pain and tinnitus several times a day and when I lay down, feel fluid but none to the touch. I've seen an allergist and 2 ENTs--one said TMJ, the other said Reflux (GERD) or perimenopause. I've tried biteguards for TMJ, allergy meds, sudafed type meds, nasal sprays, now am on antacid prescription. Today the ENT prescribed Neurontin because he thinks it's from being perimenopausal.

I am being scheduled for an MRI (with contrast) after I inquired because the allergist suggested but none of the other drs did. We'll see what that shows.

What about you?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
(female)

Tiff22 HB User

I saw 2 ENT's, and a physical therapist. I am going to see another ENT soon.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
(female)

Tiff22 HB User

selfadvocate,

I have had tons of tests done, blood tests, caloric tests, balance tests, 2 MRI's. Nothing really found, so thats why they diagnosed me with labyrinthitis. Nothing else was really suggested. Oh, and ive been doing VRT for several months, and that is what has helped the most.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
(female)

selfadvocate HB User

Thanks for the info. I feel like I have to prompt my MDs to start ruling other stuff out. They're so sure it's GERD or perimenopause based on symptoms alone. I've had NO tests--no blood work or scans. Oh I did have sinus xrays that were negative. I'll keep your tests in mind. Good luck to you =)

Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
(female)

Kim Cleveland HB User

Hi there,
I have read all of your messages as well as Tiff's. I have almost identical symptoms to what you described. I have had plugged ears and lightheadedness now for about 4 months. The ear plugging seems to be getting worse where I want to pop my ears all the time. And I am lightheaded all the time, especially indoors. I seem to feel the best outside in the fresh air.
I also have been to an ENT who gave me steroid nose spray and said my ears look fine.
It is very frustrating and hard to live with.
I am also going to go for a CT scan soon. My doctor friend is going to order it for me so I can get in quicker.
I was thinking it may be allergy related. Have you found any more information? Are you still experiencing your symptoms?
Any help or advice you have would be so much appreciated!
Thank you.

Closed Thread