It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #1

Greg HB User
Has anybody tried the "Ear Popper"?

My problems : Ear pressure changes, fluid in my ears, tinnitis, ears feel "clogged."

I am seriously considering purchasing an ear popper, its a machine I see on the internet that blows air up your e-tube to try to clear it.

Just wondering if anybody tried using this thing before I plunk down $300 for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
(female)

spaghetti18 HB User
Re: Has anybody tried the "Ear Popper"?

where do u buy these? i would love one of those!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I've had ear pressure, fluid, etc. It took almost 2-1/2 months for it to clear up. My ENT perscribed Nasonex and it worked. Sometimes, he told me, it can take 6 months for it to clear up. I wouldn't buy that machine - can you return it if it doesn't work? And what if you make it worse? What does your ENT advise you to do?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #4

Greg HB User

I've been on Flonase for about 3 months now, I feel like it helps, just doesn't seem to do enough. I wonder if maybe Nasonex does a better job.

Well, the machine requires a prescription to purchase, I'm gonna be seeing an ENT in 4 days, gonna bring along the form and see what he thinks. Anyway, the machine was created by an ENT and an audiologist, and had a 4 year trial at NIH.

Granted, I'm no doctor, I don't know that it will work for me, but I'm already paying $150 for an office visit, and will prolly end up paying thousands for any kind of surgery, $300 for a machine that may or may not help...seems like a worthy gamble.

I'm at the end of my rope, my ears and nose constantly feel congested.

I feel like my nose congestion keeps the flonase from working to its max, because it is constantly stuffed up, plus I have a deviated septum.

I'm willing to go through surgery at this point, but if I'm going to give em thousands for a surgery, I'd really like to try this ear popper thing and see if it does anything.

Its a messed up situation.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-07-2006 at 09:44 PM. Reason: If you are responding to the last poster, please do not quote the post.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
(male)

depflephc HB User

have you tried salt water irrigation ? I Have a moderate case of rhinitus, which caused my nasal lining to swell and me feel congested. i irigated 2 times a day for a while and it helped very noticeably. It also helped with my ears i felt.

good luck

Last edited by depflephc; 07-08-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
(female)

mbergen HB User

Hi. I just looked at the website, and it looks like what this does is blow air up your nose, which you can do yourself.

I found a page on ear pressurization techniques for scuba divers very helpful. A simple way is just to swallow while holding your nose, and then swallow after that not holding your nose (or yawn) and your ears will pop (at least mine do) though I never get them completely cleared.

I don't recall if this is the exact website I first read about this, but here is a page that talks about ear pressurization techniques for scuba divers (and people flying)

[url]http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html[/url]

As for the device, you can do about the same thing by holding your nose and mouth shut and then blowing out through your nose. It fills up your ears, then as before swallowing after you take your hands off your nose your yawning will pop them. The webpage probably describes it better than I can. (Disclaimer: My Doctor warned me not to do this - not exactly sure the exact reason but I know I read you have to be careful blowing your nose or you can blow the mucus up into your ears) So I use the first technique of just swallowing with nose held - no danger of that hurting myself.)

Also there is a video where he demonstrates some of the techniques.

[url]http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789[/url]

Meg

Last edited by mbergen; 07-11-2006 at 11:15 PM.

Closed Thread