It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User
Meniere's?

Hi all!

I'm new to this board but was hoping you all could give me some direction. For several years I have been terrified that I have multiple sclerosis because I have a tremor and also my eyes "dance" which is the best way I can describe it. It's pretty much all the time (my eyes dancing); It is SO slight but if I think about it, they are constantly shifting and if I'm really really tired they'll kind of shake for a second and then go back to where they were. Anyway, I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor, which totally explained my tremor. However, I have also had several dizzy spells since I had my son almost a year ago. I have never experienced dizzy spells like this before. It feels like I had way too much to drink and it comes on very fast and then goes away. I have anxiety problems as well which I'm sure contribute to my brain fog, as well, but when I'm under lots of stress and tired it seems to be worse. I've also had ringing in my ears since I was little and everytime I yawn my ears pop. Well, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps I have essential tremor (a neurological disorder) as well as Menieiers? My father has Meneire's but I wasn't sure if it is genetic? In a sense I would be relieved as I have been worried about other neurological problems/brain disease. Do any of you have this "eye dancing" problem?? Does it happen all the time like me? Thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

CynthiaC HB User
Re: Meniere's?

Hi Annie -
There are so many different kinds of vestibular disorders, no telling what is going on with you. You can be tested for Meniere's to find out for sure if that is what you have. What you call dancing eyes, I call jerky eye movement and your optic nerve/eyes ties right into your vertigo and dizzy spells. Try focusing, I learned this from a woman a few years ago. I thought, oh sure, that is really going to help - but it has helped me a lot. It is not a cure all of course but anything you can do to get a grip on this stuff is very helpful. Practice focusing on one spot for a bit, do it whenever you feel your eyes dancing, MAKE them focus, you can get stronger with this I believe. I recommend you find out what is exactly your situation though. It takes a while to figure out how to live with this but you can do it. Good luck to you!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

adamw HB User

AnnieinPA:
How's your hearing? Have you ever had an audiogram? There is no specific test for Menieres - diagnosis is based upon the symptoms of AT LEAST rotational vertigo, and worsening or fluctuating hearing loss documented by an audiogram. Tinnitus and ear fullness are common as well.

Menieres is very rare (0.2% incidence) and generally does not appear to run in families.

How is your fathers hearing?

The symptoms of migraine-associated vertigo are very similar to Menieres and this condition runs in families very commonly.

How did they diagnose you with essential tremor.. did you have an EMG ?

What you describe regarding your eyes sounds like nystagmus. Sometimes its congenital (from birth), becomes acquiried sometime in life (genetics, or just out of nowhere), from central causes (like MS as you mentioned) and vestibular disorders. It's important that you have this nystagmus evaluted - the direction of your eye movements may assist in determining where it is coming from and what might be causing it.

There is an article here http:// brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/126/6/1319 describing a syndrome of essential tremor with nystagmus

Last edited by adamw; 10-24-2006 at 04:43 PM.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw
AnnieinPA:
How's your hearing? Have you ever had an audiogram? There is no specific test for Menieres - diagnosis is based upon the symptoms of AT LEAST rotational vertigo, and worsening or fluctuating hearing loss documented by an audiogram. Tinnitus and ear fullness are common as well.

Menieres is very rare (0.2% incidence) and generally does not appear to run in families.

How is your fathers hearing?

The symptoms of migraine-associated vertigo are very similar to Menieres and this condition runs in families very commonly.

How did they diagnose you with essential tremor.. did you have an EMG ?

What you describe regarding your eyes sounds like nystagmus. Sometimes its congenital (from birth), becomes acquiried sometime in life (genetics, or just out of nowhere), from central causes (like MS as you mentioned) and vestibular disorders. It's important that you have this nystagmus evaluted - the direction of your eye movements may assist in determining where it is coming from and what might be causing it.

There is an article here http:// brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/126/6/1319 describing a syndrome of essential tremor with nystagmus
Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for responding. I so appreciate the time you put in to helping me sort this out!

My hearing I believe is fine. I have never had an audiogram. I have had tinnitus and ear fullness my whole life. I will occaisionally lose hearing in one ear and then have it slowly come back with a loud ringing. My father has lost 40% of hearing in one of his ears.

A neurologist diagnosed my essential tremor by running some simple tests and through my symptoms. I have the kind where my head shakes in a no motion if I'm very stressed or have to take a drink/eat in front of people I'm uncomfortable around. Very odd! It also comes on if I'm really tired or anxious (like right now... you can't see it, but I can feel the tension building in my neck). Anyway, I have had anxiety attacks my whole life, so when I explained this "eye dancing" thing to my PCP, he basically blew it off but still referred me to a neurologist because of the neck tremor. Believing it wasn't really a malignant symptom, I neglected to tell the doctor about it and chalked my dizziness and the eye things, tinnitus, etc. to hormones changing (I had a baby almost a year ago) and just a part of my anxiety that I have been dealing with for years. Anyway, I figured I should call him back anyway and tell him so he ordered an MRI for me for tomorrow morning. I have always been terrified of MS but I am pretty positive that is NOT the case (he assured me it isn't). I have read conflicting things on Meniere's and if there is a genetic component. I am praying that this is simply a coincidence and that I am the unfortunate handler of two very annoying disorders (vestibular and neurological) and not some terrifying brain disease.

Anyway, any more input would be great!

Closed Thread