It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
(male)

trebor4460 HB User
Vision symptoms, anybody relate to these?

Hi all
Hope everybody had a good New Yew.
I am posting to see if anybody can relate to the visual problems I am still having.
This nightmare started nine months ago with a particularly bad virus I had that seemed to go on forever, then a week later the tinnitus started, a high-pitched ring.
I have never had direct Vertigo but a few weeks after the tinnitus I started to be disorientated, brain fog is an apt description. My balance was off, only being able to stand on one foot with eyes closed for five seconds.
Went down the local d.i.y. Store and could not believe how strange it felt, woozy, kind of looking out of a fish bowl, surreal.
When it is dark, walking outside is more difficult, sort of clumsy.
To me the worst part was the visual symptoms, when I first had this I got bouncy eyes, I only had to walk slowly and every heel strike caused my eyes to jump.
The world seemed to also sway to much as though my brain thought the world was moving around my head and not my head moving in a stable world.
Straight lines seem to slightly bend and text lines on the computer seem to move with the slightest head tilt.
My eyes have a very hard time fixating on a point if my head is moving fast, if I look at a picture on the wall and shake my head left to right it bounces all over the place instead of staying fixed.
If I look up or down, left to right my sight is ok but if I look at the ground and scan left to right in an arc my vision seems slow and I get a momentary vertigo, same if I look straight ahead and tilt my head left to right the effect is the same, all to do with head tilting.
I seem to be using my peripheral vision a lot for some reason.

Now nine long months down the road I still have no dx, two hearing test ok over five months, Ent doc ordered, reluctantly, inner ear tests, been waiting five months and apparently will not get them till march 2007

Eye consultant gave the ok apart from a bit of nystigmus when looking at the edge of my top vision. Retina and ansler grid test was fine. C.T. scan was ok.

On the upside, I have always been a sportsman and have tried to keep my running, lifting, boxing and swimming up and it seems to have helped considerably.
I now only get the bouncing when running, I can actually walk in a reasonably stable world, my balance is good now unless I move my head around a lot when moving. The Brain fog has gone.

The downside is a lot of the visual stuff is still with me, the tinnitus also though I do not hear it a lot of the day, only if I listen for it. The momentary vertigo when tilting my head and the slightly distorted computer images ect, and unfortunately the long months of this have worn me down and I am going to seek help for depression as it is reflecting on my whole family now.

My questions are does anybody else have these visual symptoms, and what are you doing to get your vision back to normal? have been trying some gaze stabilization exercises i got off the net.

Am going to try S.S.R.I. anti depression medication, will it hinder compensation?

Sorry for the long post but have been really down lately and feel as I am swimming against the tide with the Medical profession of the N.H.S.

Any comments would be appreciated and everybody take care.

Robert.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: Vision symptoms, anybody relate to these?

Robert...

I can relate to everything you said. I have been doing some VOR exercises that have helped. Not all has gone...but it is improving.

Here are some..I pick two objects 3 feet away from me, 20 inches apart from each other. I move my eyes back from one to another for 30 reps. I make sure each object is stable before moving.

2. I put letters (2X's their regular size) on each corner of a door frame. I move eyes only from one to the other....standing 2-3 feet away. Again, the goal is to keep the letters stable and to stablize the vision.

Let me know if these help!!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor4460
Hi all
Hope everybody had a good New Yew.
I am posting to see if anybody can relate to the visual problems I am still having.
This nightmare started nine months ago with a particularly bad virus I had that seemed to go on forever, then a week later the tinnitus started, a high-pitched ring.
I have never had direct Vertigo but a few weeks after the tinnitus I started to be disorientated, brain fog is an apt description. My balance was off, only being able to stand on one foot with eyes closed for five seconds.
Went down the local d.i.y. Store and could not believe how strange it felt, woozy, kind of looking out of a fish bowl, surreal.
When it is dark, walking outside is more difficult, sort of clumsy.
To me the worst part was the visual symptoms, when I first had this I got bouncy eyes, I only had to walk slowly and every heel strike caused my eyes to jump.
The world seemed to also sway to much as though my brain thought the world was moving around my head and not my head moving in a stable world.
Straight lines seem to slightly bend and text lines on the computer seem to move with the slightest head tilt.
My eyes have a very hard time fixating on a point if my head is moving fast, if I look at a picture on the wall and shake my head left to right it bounces all over the place instead of staying fixed.
If I look up or down, left to right my sight is ok but if I look at the ground and scan left to right in an arc my vision seems slow and I get a momentary vertigo, same if I look straight ahead and tilt my head left to right the effect is the same, all to do with head tilting.
I seem to be using my peripheral vision a lot for some reason.

Now nine long months down the road I still have no dx, two hearing test ok over five months, Ent doc ordered, reluctantly, inner ear tests, been waiting five months and apparently will not get them till march 2007

Eye consultant gave the ok apart from a bit of nystigmus when looking at the edge of my top vision. Retina and ansler grid test was fine. C.T. scan was ok.

On the upside, I have always been a sportsman and have tried to keep my running, lifting, boxing and swimming up and it seems to have helped considerably.
I now only get the bouncing when running, I can actually walk in a reasonably stable world, my balance is good now unless I move my head around a lot when moving. The Brain fog has gone.

The downside is a lot of the visual stuff is still with me, the tinnitus also though I do not hear it a lot of the day, only if I listen for it. The momentary vertigo when tilting my head and the slightly distorted computer images ect, and unfortunately the long months of this have worn me down and I am going to seek help for depression as it is reflecting on my whole family now.

My questions are does anybody else have these visual symptoms, and what are you doing to get your vision back to normal? have been trying some gaze stabilization exercises i got off the net.

Am going to try S.S.R.I. anti depression medication, will it hinder compensation?

Sorry for the long post but have been really down lately and feel as I am swimming against the tide with the Medical profession of the N.H.S.

Any comments would be appreciated and everybody take care.

Robert.

Hey Robert,

I had the same symptoms as you regarding the eye stability. There are eye exercises for that and they help ALOT! Overtime you gaze stablilty will get back to its normal..Ive been doing them for two months religiously and I can say that I am almost there. Thats really my last symptom...Also, when you start them, they will bring on some symptoms, but will fad away in time....
Goto this website and do all of these exercises 4-5times a day! They work!!!!

[url]http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic666.htm[/url]

CK

Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

hey jax..do you have a problem with store lighting?

Old 01-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte67
hey jax..do you have a problem with store lighting?
I have it a little still....it goes away....ive been feeling really good for about a week in a half...Subs is right, it gradually goes away....

Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Hey Char67, how have you've been feeling?????????

Old 01-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

jax...I have been having some really "feeling good" moments. What I am dealing with now is a lower amount of woozy, lighting in stores...and a bit of visual crap still. It is improving....I can feel it...

Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Quote:
jax...I have been having some really "feeling good" moments. What I am dealing with now is a lower amount of woozy, lighting in stores...and a bit of visual crap still. It is improving....I can feel it...
Thats all that matters...you are improving!!! Patience is what we need to have with this illness.....and its hard...dont be upset if it takes you a few more months to recover...its all about time...go out more to stores...twice aday for 15 minutes...walks have been helping me....Tonight I went grocery shopping...i felt good!!!

ck

Old 01-04-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
(male)

trebor4460 HB User

Quote:
Robert...

I can relate to everything you said. I have been doing some VOR exercises that have helped. Not all has gone...but it is improving.

Here are some..I pick two objects 3 feet away from me, 20 inches apart from each other. I move my eyes back from one to another for 30 reps. I make sure each object is stable before moving.

2. I put letters (2X's their regular size) on each corner of a door frame. I move eyes only from one to the other....standing 2-3 feet away. Again, the goal is to keep the letters stable and to stablize the vision.

Let me know if these help!!
Thanks for the reply, will give the exercises a go.
Do you have trouble with text on computer screens? head tilting seems to distort things with me.
Have been trying an exercise where you hold a card up in front with print on and shake head left to right trying to keep the print clear, trouble is do you just shake as fast as needed to see the print clearly or faster till it blurs so challenging the brain a bit?
Thanks again
Rob.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 AM   #10
(male)

trebor4460 HB User

Thanks for the site C.K.
Have been trying the eye exersises for a few weeks, keeping my fingers crossed for some good results.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Rob...

I learned to move head as fast as 120 metronome marks...or march tempo. That is typical movement of a normal balance system. Let me know if I can explain better.

I had some computer issues early...but not much more now. Visual stuff is all different for everyone...my problem is really store lighting now.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor4460
Thanks for the site C.K.
Have been trying the eye exersises for a few weeks, keeping my fingers crossed for some good results.
You'll noticed that they will start kickin in. It was one sunday morning when i spent about two hours doing them really aggressivly and then two days later, wham!!! Improvement! Try that...give it a kick start!!! Make sure you do them properly and dont skip a day...it may take a few months for your brain to totaly compensate depending on how large your deficet is....but you sound like me...if you dont have BPPV then you have nothing hindering you to get better....you will recover! It just takes time and patience!

ck

Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
(male)

trebor4460 HB User

Quote:
Rob...

I learned to move head as fast as 120 metronome marks...or march tempo. That is typical movement of a normal balance system. Let me know if I can explain better.

I had some computer issues early...but not much more now. Visual stuff is all different for everyone...my problem is really store lighting now.
Thanks Charlotte, that will be 2 a second i guess.
i am going to draw up a program and give it a good go to try to get my visual issues sorted, but to be honest after nine months i am forgetting what normal is.
Rob.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
(male)

trebor4460 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxzilla
You'll noticed that they will start kickin in. It was one sunday morning when i spent about two hours doing them really aggressivly and then two days later, wham!!! Improvement! Try that...give it a kick start!!! Make sure you do them properly and dont skip a day...it may take a few months for your brain to totaly compensate depending on how large your deficet is....but you sound like me...if you dont have BPPV then you have nothing hindering you to get better....you will recover! It just takes time and patience!

ck
Thanks C.K
Will give it a good shot,it would be nice to get a tailored program but after nine months and not even a dx..... Thats the British N.H.S, not the fastest service going

Old 01-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Hi Rob, I can't believe you are still waiting, it's terrible, I only waited about 3 months for the physio for the VRT and balance, it's slow working but does if you keep at it, went this morning to see my physio and she can see an improvement in my balance from the exercises I've been doing, although just got back from hols and I'm so off at the moment, it feels like my head is twice the weight of my body again, the tinnitus has been real bad, I have an aircraft engine humming away all the time. . . serves me right for sitting on a plane for 13 hours I suppose!!
Keep nagging for appointments!
Here is to a healthier 2007
Jayne

Closed Thread