It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

ljs HB User
Landsickness

I've felt landsick for six days following a four night cruise. We had two really rough nights (first and last) due to the effects of cyclone weather. Middle days were an unscheduled stay in a bay at anchor. I recall having really bad ear pain in my left ear as we came into port the last morning but haven't had any severe ear pain. I'm wondering if it's possible this is an inner ear problem. It's worse in afternoons and evenings. I've been trying to stay active but find it hard after being out and about. I'm very nervous about driving although the couple short trips I felt fine while driving but horrible when I stopped. One other family member had this until three days ago but is now just fine. I've not been on a cruise before so wonder if I can expect this to last much longer or should I be concerned?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
(female)

wannarun HB User
Re: Landsickness

I had feelings similar to that after our cruise a couple of years ago. I remember thinking as I sat on my couch "I just wish this couch would stop rocking"!! I also get that way after flying. I haven't been diagnosed with an inner ear problem yet, but am getting the tests done soon and will know after that.
My neighbors went on a cruise this year and said for about a week after they felt the motion stuff and wondered if they had ear and/or sinus infections since their kids had the infections. But, eventually it passed, so it may pass for you too.
It never hurts to get things checked out.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
(female)

ljs HB User

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give it until Monday then I'm making a doctor's appointment. It's just a bit inconvenient not be able to drive due to dizziness. I do have a history of ear issues since my teenage years, mainly nasal congestion, blocked ears, stuffy nose and sinus issues. So this might be an extension of that.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I've gotten that way after a cruise before. I think its lasted up to a week for me. Sometimes at the ports I would feel "sea legs" too.

This was all before my dizzy problem, so for me it was a normal response.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User

ljs- what I believe you are experiencing is a syndrome called mal d'embarquement. It is motion sickness and can last for awhile after being on a cruise, airplane and even car travel. The good news is it almost always resolves itself once you compensate to your new surrounding (land); could take a little time after being off the cruise (several weeks).

You can do a search on it as it may give you tips on how to handle your symptoms.

Hope that helps - Gloria

Old 01-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
(female)

ljs HB User

Thanks very much for the input everyone. It's now past a week since I finished a four night cruise so it's seems rather long to me. I plan to call my doctor's office on Monday about an appointment. I've also developed earache and sinus headache so maybe that's at least part of the problem.

I'll also look into the mal de debarquement thing and see if that sounds like what I've got happening.

Thanks again all.

ljs

Old 01-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User

Just wanted to say that even though people give you time limits, i'm going to make the guess that just like inner ear problems (labs/bppv/etc...) recovery time can vary. If this has to do with adjusting to be back on land, which i think it does, try to stay active and see if that helps. that's got to be a fustrating thing to go through, I hope the doctor can help. Feel better soon!

Last edited by joy78; 01-13-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
(female)

ljs HB User

I've looked into the mal d'embarquement, gloria2936. It does sound like it could be what is happening with me. I looked into a couple websites and found a mailing list but it's only for those who have had it a month...I'm surely hoping not to be able to join that one. There were some tips about staying active and keeping hydrated that I've been trying too.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
(female)

ljs HB User

Joyb77, I think you are right about giving this time...I'm hoping it's going to just disappear one day. Meanwhile I am trying to stay active, walking a fair bit. Still too nervous to drive than the 1 km to our local grocery store as yet. I've got a dr. appointment on Thursday. I'm hoping this will just go and I can address other issues then.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljs View Post
Joyb77, I think you are right about giving this time...I'm hoping it's going to just disappear one day. Meanwhile I am trying to stay active, walking a fair bit. Still too nervous to drive than the 1 km to our local grocery store as yet. I've got a dr. appointment on Thursday. I'm hoping this will just go and I can address other issues then.
i can't remember...do you have a previous inner ear problem? I think it's good that you are staying active. From what I understand, what you are feeling is because your brain isn't used to being on solid ground, and needs to re-adjust. In that case, staying active is the best thing you can do. I hope the doctor can help... did they tell you to take some dramamine? I know that dramamine suppresses the vestibular system and isn't good for compensation but when my ears where at their worst it helped take the edge off a little bit. didn't make me feel completely better, but definatley made it a little easier when I just needed a break. I wouldn't take it a lot, but ask your doctor and see if they think it might help....

I hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
(female)

ljs HB User

Joyb77, I have had regular problems with blocked ears for many years. It's a fairly constant problem so I usually treat when it becomes unbearable or it would be all the time. I use an otc version of Beconase that helps the most. I have had some ear problems lately too...in fact, as we pulled into port I had a pain in my left ear that was quite bad for a few minutes before diminishing. I'll ask my gp about the tablets.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #12
(female)

ljs HB User

I went to my gp today and she has put me on Stemetil for the nausea and wants me to give it another week. I was actually feeling better yesterday and ventured out in the car for the first time in a while. I had no troubles driving but did take someone to a swimming pool for an aerobics class. I found myself feeling seasick watching the proceedings and since have had worse dizziness and nausea for the first time in over a week. The nausea has subsided but I am not sure if it was the tablet that did it or if it just went away on its own.

Closed Thread