It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User
I hesistate to post....

I went to ER last night for anxiety and hot flashes and they put me back on valium and meclizine and i knwo all of you say to not take it as it hinders compensation but even if i still do VRT's is this really bad. I just want to have faith in these doctors....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: I hesistate to post....

Dizzy....Not many doctors know how to help inner ear dizzys. Meclizine will hinder compensation. That said, if you are really sick...it is not horrible to take it once in a while. However, the more you stay on the med...the longer it will take you to compensate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi D&S,

You are still in very early days and the anxiety is terrible at times I know - I went to the ER twice myself wondering what was going on with it. Don't worry about using valium occasionally at the moment (2.5 mg at a time). It's more important to deal with the anxiety first, which will totally disable compensation. But don't use valium as a crutch for too long. If the anxiety does not become manageable in your opinion, you need to either 1) seek help from someone to stop the catastrophic thought patterns (CBT) and feel you are getting some support or 2) use an SSRI med if the anxiety becomes chronic and more than you can handle. Be aware that going this route means being on the med for up to a year (or more) and requires a great deal of patience when coming off. For me it was well worth it.

Best....Scott

Old 04-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Believe it or not, no matter how bad the anxiety feels (I've been there more times than I care to remember), most of it can be managed without meds at all but it will require the help from a professional to get you there to learn the tools needed to stop it. An SSRI is a relatively new class of antidepressant such as Cipramil, Zoloft, Paxil etc. They are fantastic for killing anxiety if things are just too out of control.

There is a *must read* book you have to get by Claire Weekes called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves". Get this book asap. It will explain the anxiety process and give you the tools to rein in your mind.

I can imagine that having no diagnosis is also causing you a lot of fear but believe me you'll soon find out that it is inner ear related either because of VN, BPPV or migraine.

Also see this post on coping with anxiety:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=165771[/url]

Best....Scott

Closed Thread